PDA

View Full Version : Win95 Find Files

21-02-2001, 12:56 PM
Can a default be changed? I often want to find old *.doc files by a word search. I go, START, FIND, FILES or FOLDERS, ADVANCED.
At this point the ADVANCED field presents the default ALL FILES AND FOLDERS. I then have to scroll down through 90 odd choices to be able to select MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENT. This gets tiresome. Is there a way to get the ADVANCED field to present the default - MICROSOFT WORD DOCUMENT each time? I guess that any solution should retain the ability to select all the other file types.
In the FIND:ALL FILES dialogue box there are two options [ File.SaveSearch] and [Options. Saveresults] i have tried both but the existing default still returns.

21-02-2001, 02:38 PM
Unless you also have something like wordperfect also installed on the machine, the .doc extension that you are identifying in your search should be sufficient to filter out only word documents. You shouldn't need to worry about file type.

24-02-2001, 08:39 PM
OK, I always assumed that my search was sped up considerably by actually selecting .doc files. Put another way, I thought that the search order was .doc then the word search. In other words, the utility would not waste time looking in irrelevant files.

Many thanks for your interest. NFA required.