PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problems

Enigmur
26-04-2007, 11:59 AM
On my home pc I am getting a strange problem.

When typing in a forum, if I press enter twice quickly to skip a line it will hang the computer.
The icons in the taskbar are all moving and active, but it gets stuck with the busy icon and wont break out of it.

Doing certain things will make the pc lag and get stuck

Have done virus scans and spybot scans and find nothing.
Have done Goldmemory tests with passes (but may have to run it longer).

Should I look at doing a registry clean or something here?

The pc is a 3.4ghz Pentium D
2GB Corsair RAM
36GB Raptor Operating system drive
250GB WD data drive
250GB Seagate backup drive (hot swap for backups)

It hasnt always done this either, I added and extra gig of ram a month ago which I thought was a problem. I need to run a memory test for a few days and see what happens...

pctek
26-04-2007, 05:47 PM
, I added and extra gig of ram a month ago which I thought was a problem. I need to run a memory test for a few days and see what happens...

It would be faster to remove the RAM and see if the problem is still there or not.

Jen
26-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Does this also occur in Word (or OpenOffice Writer)?

zcc
26-04-2007, 11:12 PM
It'll be your OS for sure.
Re-install!

Enigmur
27-04-2007, 11:44 AM
I havent had it happen in word or anything, just on some forums.

If the ram is faulty, I will need to RMA it, in that case I need proof of it failing a test and it not being my M/B.

It has been a bit slow lately, possibly viral content Im not picking up. I use avast! home.

If worst comes to worst, instead of a reinstall I'll fall back to last months backup of my system disk before I noticed it happening.

Graham L
27-04-2007, 02:53 PM
To test memory, just download Memtest and make a bootable CD from it. See the Upgrading a CPU (pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=78588) thread for details. Look at postings #33 to about #45.

I doubt if it's the problem, however. Reloading the OS might fix it, but that's a brute force approach which should seldom (or never ;) ) be needed.

Jen
27-04-2007, 05:58 PM
I havent had it happen in word or anything, just on some forums.Only on some forums? Sounds like a browser-glitch. Have you tried a different browser such as Firefox or Opera?