PDA

View Full Version : Changing computer name ?

Misty
25-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I have been trying to setup file sharing between our PC and laptop. Have managed to stuff the process up somehow. I think that this may be because have used different names on each for the computers (on the laptop I have called the PC "Computer Room PC", however on the PC I was only allowed 15 alphanumerics, so in the end just called it "PC").

Now the troubleshooter says to change the name of the computer I go to Control Panel/network connections and click on "Computer name tag". However I cannot see anything labelled "Computer name tag" ?

It strikes me that maybe things have not progressed as far as I thought but I had followed the wizard through on both machines. The PC does show PC shared folders at the PC end.
Misty :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2007, 11:14 AM
You right mouse / properties on my computer on the desktop / computer name tab.

I think u want to change the workgroup not the computer name.

Click on change down the bottom.

Dont use the Network wizard, it'll make things worse. And doesnt work.

CliveM
25-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Right click <My Computer> then select <Properties>

Speedy beat me to it!

Misty
25-04-2007, 12:22 PM
You right mouse / properties on my computer on the desktop / computer name tab.

I think u want to change the workgroup not the computer name.

Click on change down the bottom.

Dont use the Network wizard, it'll make things worse. And doesnt work.

Ok, thanks Speedy, am keeping away from the wizard.

Following what you have said though I have identified the problem. Somewhere, probably by using the wizard, I have managed to name the PC as the ***familylaptop. So I need to change this. This will not affect the wireless networking connection will it ? The connection is fine at the moment as the laptop is still connecting to the internet wirelessly. Changing the name will help to enable the sharing of folders though. Is that a correct interpretation of things please ?
Misty :help:

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2007, 12:27 PM
As long as the Workgroup names ARE THE SAME. Sharing folders SHOULD work.

Create a folder and share it.

It doesn't matter what the computer names are, they can be different.

And if any PC's have firewalls, you'll also have to configure these to allow file sharing to work as well.

Misty
25-04-2007, 12:40 PM
As long as the Workgroup names ARE THE SAME. Sharing folders SHOULD work.

Create a folder and share it.

It doesn't matter what the computer names are, they can be different.

And if any PC's have firewalls, you'll also have to configure these to allow file sharing to work as well.
Well, Speedy, the workgroup names are both showing a "HOME", all in upper case. Now the PC has got Kerio firewall. Blast, I seem not to have put anything on the laptop yet, probably relying on Windows firewall. It would make sense for me to put Kerio on the laptop too. Will do that now. Then I will need to look at how to configure. :rolleyes:
Misty :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2007, 12:45 PM
If the file sharing still doesnt work (after u configure Kerio, I dont know how to, I've never tried / used it), change both workgroup names to MSHOME.

Depending on which PC Kerio is on (if its on the main PC which is connected to the net), the connected PC maybe safe with or without it.

As hopefully, the PC with Kerio on it, is protecting it.

berryb
25-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Workgroup name has to be the same on both PC's. Doesn't matter what it is - HOME is fine. PC's have to have different names. If having problems disable all firewalls and test. If working then enable firewalls and configure.

Shire
28-04-2007, 02:07 PM
If it's peer-to-peer network, make sure you're using static IP for both computers (or at least one) instead of DHCP mode. That could make things more predictable.

Misty
05-05-2007, 07:21 PM
If the file sharing still doesnt work (after u configure Kerio, I dont know how to, I've never tried / used it), change both workgroup names to MSHOME.

Depending on which PC Kerio is on (if its on the main PC which is connected to the net), the connected PC maybe safe with or without it.

As hopefully, the PC with Kerio on it, is protecting it.
Hi Speedy
Done that and unfortunately not enough ! Also, like berryb, don't think it's an issue so long as both the same. Anyway - worth a try !!

I disabled Kerio but that did not work. From what I have read the Windows Firewall is not an issue, on or off.

Cannot get the laptop to be able to use the printer either, which may or may not be a clue.

The PC uses Windows XP and the laptop Windows XP Pro --- is that significant perhaps ? Different, or the same, drivers ?
Misty :confused:

beama
05-05-2007, 08:27 PM
back to basics me thinks
Misty find out the ips of both machines from cmd type in ipconfig /all

ping the other machine in turn, do you get a reply
if not check com lights on the nic then router/switch
check firewall settings
is the gateway and ip mask match on both machines

berryb
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Ok have re-read your post. Can you tell us the workgroup name. This is found as Speedy above by right clicking MY Computer blah blah. What is the Full Computer Name of both computers, not computer description - this means nothing to networking . Computer names shouldn't have any spaces.

Have you got internet connection from both PC's
Have you manually assigned IP's (if so what are they) or are they set to automatic. If automatic what are the IP addresses of both PC's. Go to control panel/network connections/right click on connection and go to status/support tab for IP address.

Do you have a printer shared?

Have the got the same user name and password setup on both PC's

What error messages are you getting?

CliveM
05-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Misty

I have a similar setup to you. XP Home on desktop & XP Pro on laptop.
On each machine I made a new folder called Shared and then right clicked on it <Properties> select the Sharing Tab and enabled network sharing and allowed any user to alter files in that folder. That lets me see that folder on either machine and transfer stuff between them via that folder. I would not allow sharing on the whole drive. My printer is on the desktop and has sharing allowed.
All works for me and should for you. Everything else is set up as Speedy etc has said.

Misty
06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
back to basics me thinks
Misty find out the ips of both machines from cmd type in ipconfig /all
Hi beama - done that
PC is 10.1.1.2. and the laptop is 10.1.1.3

ping the other machine in turn, do you get a reply
if not check com lights on the nic then router/switch
check firewall settings
Pinging from PC to laptop fine -- but timed out from laptop to PC !!
:horrified

is the gateway and ip mask match on both machines
They do :)

Misty :xmouth:

Misty
06-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi berryb

Ok have re-read your post. Can you tell us the workgroup name. This is found as Speedy above by right clicking MY Computer blah blah. What is the Full Computer Name of both computers, not computer description - this means nothing to networking . Computer names shouldn't have any spaces.
Workgroup name is MSSHARE
PC is PC
Laptop is flintstonelaptop --- ie no spaces

Have you got internet connection from both PC's Yes, definitely ! :)

Have you manually assigned IP's (if so what are they) or are they set to automatic. If automatic what are the IP addresses of both PC's. Go to control panel/network connections/right click on connection and go to status/support tab for IP address.
They are 10.1.1.2 and 10.1.1.3

Do you have a printer shared? No, unfortunately cannot do that either - have tried !! :confused:

Have the got the same user name and password setup on both PC's No different user name. Significant ? Password on laptop (but just to gain entry) -- but none on PC

What error messages are you getting?
None

The reply I gave beama in the post above is probably, I guess, the crux of the matter -- ie no ping response from laptop to PC ? How do I fix this please ?
Misty :blush:

beama
06-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Pinging from PC to laptop fine -- but timed out from laptop to PC !!
Misty :xmouth:

Firewall on the pc blocking the laptop, reason I say this is you can ping the laptop from the pc not vice versa

Do all the normal stuff to test the firewall disable it I think you said you are using Keiro like speedy I dont use it

Misty
06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Misty

I have a similar setup to you. XP Home on desktop & XP Pro on laptop.
On each machine I made a new folder called Shared and then right clicked on it <Properties> select the Sharing Tab and enabled network sharing and allowed any user to alter files in that folder. That lets me see that folder on either machine and transfer stuff between them via that folder. I would not allow sharing on the whole drive. My printer is on the desktop and has sharing allowed.
All works for me and should for you. Everything else is set up as Speedy etc has said.
Hi Clive
I have the C drive partitioned into C and D. The D partition is for data. It has only three main folders.

"Photos" - which I have ticked for sharing on network and for being able to edit from laptop.

"Music" - which I have ticked for sharing on network only. I use iTunes a lot and do not want to mess with changes until I am very sure.

"Messages" - which I have not touched yet. As have Outlook Express on both the PC and laptop and messages have come into both. Will have to learn how to marry the two together. Probably will put the few messages from laptop into my flashdrive and transfer to PC, then delete. Following this ticking sharing.

First things first - try to share Photos and Music. :waughh:
Misty

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Actually whether XP's firewall is on or off, it does matter with some programs.

Some programs automatically add themselves to its exceptions (whether its on or off). And sometimes u have to add programs or ports to it, for whatever to work properly.

Is file and printer sharing ticked in XP's firewall (under exceptions) even tho its off?

This photo and music folder, are they folders u created then shared?

And by messages I take it u mean emails?? Just email them to yourself, if u want it on either of the PC's.

So there are no firewalls on either now? Just XP's?

Misty
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Firewall on the pc blocking the laptop, reason I say this is you can ping the laptop from the pc not vice versa

Do all the normal stuff to test the firewall disable it I think you said you are using Keiro like speedy I dont use it
Hi beama
I have disabled Kerio (again) ... and now have successfully pinged the PC from the laptop. However still cannot share files from the PC to the laptop. Also I tried going into run and typing
\\PC\My Music
but it cannot recognise !

Likewise the printer does not show up on the laptop. In the add printer it does show network and PC under, which is hopeful. Browse does not work.
Also, I have tried going into run and typing
\\PC\printer3 (for some reason on my PC the printer calls itself printer3 -- no spaces)

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi beama

I have disabled Kerio (again) ... and now have successfully pinged the PC from the laptop. However still cannot share files from the PC to the laptop. Also I tried going into run and typing \\PC\My Music but it cannot recognise !

If Kerio is still installed did u add the network ips to it if u can? And is PC the name of the PC you're trying to connect to? It has to be the name of the PC itself before it'll work.

Likewise the printer does not show up on the laptop. In the add printer it does show network and PC under, which is hopeful. Browse does not work. Also, I have tried going into run and typing
\\PC\printer3 (for some reason on my PC the printer calls itself printer3

Is PC3 the name under the printer in printers / properties / sharing tho?

I take it the PC's there are named PC, PC1,PC2,PC3???

beama
06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
silly question
are you running the microsoft network client on the laptop or is it for example using another client such as novell (if its a work lappy using a novell client sometimes the microsoft client is removed, as we do, although they will co-exist quite happly)

Misty
06-05-2007, 12:38 PM
silly question
are you running the microsoft network client on the laptop or is it for example using another client such as novell (if its a work lappy using a novell client sometimes the microsoft client is removed, as we do, although they will co-exist quite happly)
Just got back. I am not using Novell. Don't know whether running microsoft network client ? Belarc Advisor reminds me that I have microsoft .NET Framework --- the same ?

Must print out Speedy's comments now and check what I need to do.
Misty

Sherman
06-05-2007, 12:55 PM
If go into your network properties (network connections -> right click LAN or wireless network adaptor -> properties) is "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Windows" in the list?

Misty
06-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Actually whether XP's firewall is on or off, it does matter with some programs.

Some programs automatically add themselves to its exceptions (whether its on or off). And sometimes u have to add programs or ports to it, for whatever to work properly.

Is file and printer sharing ticked in XP's firewall (under exceptions) even tho its off?
Yes, Speedy -- it is ticked

This photo and music folder, are they folders u created then shared? Yes

And by messages I take it u mean emails?? Just email them to yourself, if u want it on either of the PC's.
???.....but then it just comes back to the original computer !

So there are no firewalls on either now? Just XP's? I inactivate Kerio on the PC whenever am trying to solve this problem ! XP Firewall is inactive on both computers. Also file and print sharing is ticked on both XP Firewalls even though they are not in use.
Misty

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
???.....but then it just comes back to the original computer !

Er send it from your PC, and open it on the other PC, then it'll be on both of them.

What about the names of the PC's and whats under sharing for the printer?

Misty
06-05-2007, 01:56 PM
If Kerio is still installed did u add the network ips to it if u can? And is PC the name of the PC you're trying to connect to? It has to be the name of the PC itself before it'll work.
PC is the Personal Computer and has the data I am trying to share with the laptop. They are the only two computers involved.

Is PC3 the name under the printer in printers / properties / sharing tho?
Printer3 is the name

I take it the PC's there are named PC, PC1,PC2,PC3???
No only PC and flintstonelaptop (or similar !)
Misty

Misty
06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Significant find probably ??

On the computer named "PC" I go to "My network places", then "View workgroup computers" and only "PC" shows ! :groan:

On the computer named "flintstonelaptop" I go to "My network places", then "View workgroup computers" and both "PC" and "flintstonelaptop" show. :)
Misty

berryb
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
You can still ping between the two PC then thats good. You have internet from both so thats good.

You need to have the same user name and password on both PC's.

Change the Laptop name to a shorter name, say PC2 to prove this isn't the issue.

What is the IP of your defualt gateway?

beama
07-05-2007, 06:27 PM
You need to have the same user name and password on both PC's.

Dont you dare tell my pc and laptop that !!

I dont have matching users/passwords on either and I can use shared resources on each from the other.

Misty
07-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Dont you dare tell my pc and laptop that !!

I dont have matching users/passwords on either and I can use shared resources on each from the other.
Hi beama - .........so, you suggest ??.........
Misty :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Make sure simple file sharing is ticked in XP Pro if any of these use XP Pro..

Then u wont need passwords.

berryb
08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Beama I know that you don't have to have the same user name and password if the system is setup to allow this. But we are trying to get to the bottom of the issue and by assuring user names and password are the same eliminates that as the problem.

Misty have you done as I suggested?

I'm sure if I sat in front of the PC's it could be fixed very quickly so maybe time for an expert to be called??

beama
08-05-2007, 06:38 AM
I agree berry ( it was just a cheeky comment)
Im waiting for a reply from misty also

berryb
08-05-2007, 09:44 AM

I figured as much. Nothing wrong with a bit of cheek ;)

Misty
08-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks heaps !! Tomorrow, when my brain is clearer (hopefully) I will work on your tips.
Many thanks again for, your and berryb and Speedys patience !!
Misty :blush:

beama
09-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Sorry didnt mean to mislead you misty.

Another thought has occured to me have you got file and print sharing installed. You can check this by going to the properties of your network card in network places its called "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" should have a tick in the box to the left of that item.

Misty
09-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Sorry didnt mean to mislead you misty.

Another thought has occured to me have you got file and print sharing installed. You can check this by going to the properties of your network card in network places its called "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" should have a tick in the box to the left of that item.
Hi beama
"Mislead", not sure what you mean ...but certainly not a worry !! Am very grateful for all your help.

Have gone to Control Panel; Network connections; Network places but can't even see a network card. Am I looking in the right place ??
Misty :confused: :blush:

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Have gone to Control Panel; Network connections; Network places but can't even see a network card. Am I looking in the right place ??

Ah the name of the network card (It'll show a Local Area Connection icon with the name of the NIC underneath it), will be in network connections, not my network places.

And the network card entry itself is under device manager / network adapters.

Misty
15-07-2007, 04:41 PM
In the newer thread
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81060
Term X says that he(she)

Went through the set up network wizard on both the main pc and the laptop, with the main pc as "connect other pc's through this computer" and the laptop as " connect to another pc". tested network by sharing folders on the pc and can access media from the laptop. fine all good!

Now I was cautioned agains using the Network Wizard......but even when I did use it I do not recall being called upon to exercise this option (there again things got so involved and it was a while ago !). Is it possible to make these choices in another way than using the Network Wizard. Is this perhaps the fundamental problem that is blocking my sharing ?

FoxyMX
16-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't mean to discourage you at all but this kind of problem is sometimes very hard to provide help with via a forum like this as there is so much information that is required before suggestions can be made.

It only takes one small incorrect setting to upset everything and finding that setting is really difficult when one is not sitting down in front of the PCs.

I only skimmed the thread but can't see whether you mentioned what versions each PC has on them. Can you remind us please?

And to answer your question, you don't need to use the Network Wizard. You can set up the network without it - I do it all the time.

Misty
16-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I only skimmed the thread but can't see whether you mentioned what versions each PC has on them. Can you remind us please?
Hi Foxy
The PC has XP and the laptop XP Professional
Misty

Rob99
17-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Things to try;

make sure all firewalls are off
check NetBIOS is enabled over TCPIP
install NetBEUI

If you can ping each way, can you get and put a file in the folder that has full write permissions(Photos)?
Try this from each computer.

Remember XP home is a ***** to network, if this is going to be your home server and you dont require any programs that only run on XP, I suggest you install Mepis(Linux), you will be up and running in half an hour!

Misty
29-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm sure if I sat in front of the PC's it could be fixed very quickly so maybe time for an expert to be called??
Decided that I will call in an expert. Our local PC store charges $90 per hour for outcalls. If I can pin them down to undertake to do the job in one hour I will be very happy to pay $90. I just don't want it to be open ended as it took them 2 1/2 hours, ie $200, to make my wireless router connect to my laptop.

Will contact them this week and see if I can pin them down to one hour. Have procrastinated because I am not sure that they will agreeable to being that specific ---- however, if I mess around any more I will never know !!

Misty :o

Bozo
29-08-2007, 09:58 PM
...and by assuring user names and password are the same eliminates that as the problem.

absolutly nothing to do with the problem. (as already stated)

Can the computers ping each other? Yes/No
If they can't there is your problem.

(had a quick read over this also, and there are many things being thrown at you, but couldn't work out if the above was happening)

You don't need to get a technician round, you should be able to solve this problem yourself.

If you can ping the other computer and have a share on that pc, try:
Start > Run "\\ComputerName\ShareName" and you should get the shared folder. (minus the " "). Naturally the computer name is the pc that you are trying to connect to etc.

linw
29-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Can't believe this thread started in April!!

You are actually very close to a solution IMHO. This is what I would be checking.

Laptop - dbl click My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View. Scroll to end of list and check that 'Enable Simple File Sharing' is ticked.

Share a folder on the laptop as well.

Check the shared folder on D: drive has the little hand under it in Explorer.

Make sure there are no firewalls in the way.

Check you can ping both ways.

Wait for network tables to be established (can take 15+ minutes) and try to access again. Check for error messages telling you of access problems.

Maybe too late but never mind.

Misty
03-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Paid and had it done yesterday. The guy from Advanced Computers set it up in 40mins (as well as adding RAM and fixing a problem with the USB ports at the front of the PC).

So for $90 for the time including getting here -- I should have done that a year ago. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be too stubborn :blush:
Misty :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
:clap

Actually, someone could have used crossloop and logged in remotely, to fix it