PDA

View Full Version : 'portable media devices' under XP

JdwPom
24-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but all my USB drives have decided that I'm not allowed to access them via 'My Computer' or through the 'run' command.

I figured initially it was a driver issue, so I ran through device manager and uninstalled all the 'generic volume' USB-related devices, but this didn't improve the situation. I finally managed to find them, but they're now located inside the control panel, under an option called 'portable media devices'. There is no way to access the drives without using this method.

I can only assume this is some sort of functionality provided by Windows Media Player, a program I only use every once in a while to save space on my mp3 player. Said mp3 player is of the 'cheap and nasty' variety, and registers to windows normally as a simple USB drive, accessible through the usual channels.

I can only assume that having used my mp3 player with WMP, my computer assumes that every generic USB drive installed to my computer is an mp3 player - what I want to know is how to disable this funtionality.

I took a quick hunt through WMP's settings (specifically the 'devices' tab) but found nothing. I'd really like to have quick access to my portable storage back again.

Suggestions? I'm willing to cut up my registry, and I imagine that will be what's required.

radium
24-04-2007, 09:59 PM
You said that you can't access the drives in My Computer...
Does it show the devices in My computer - "Windows Explorer"?

I searched the net for your problem, but I didn't really get any hits.

You could check out this link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196). I don't know if the fix will work

You could also try System Restore, I don't know if it will fix your problem thou.

Goodluck

JdwPom
24-04-2007, 10:55 PM
The run command uses explorer to browse folders. For some reason it's not giving the USB drive a drive letter, but inside the 'portable media devices' area it's labelled as "F:", which is where it should be.

But running "F:\" produces nothing.

I've hunted through google, and also came up blank. the problem doesn't seem to be that Windows can't find the drive - it certainly knows it exists - but it's to do with the way it's classifying the device, not as a drive, but as a media player.