PDA

View Full Version : Port Fowarding Question

Sherman
24-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi, Currently I have an ADSL modem and a wireless router. The modem is plugged into the router (or is it technically switch and the ADSL hardware the router? - doesnt matter though...). I have my old PII connected to the wireless router (via ethernet) and my laptop connects wirelessly.
To save space, I have forgone a monitor and keyboard for the old comp and am controlling it with VNC software (since im just using theccomp as a print server).
Sometimes I would like to be able to access some of the files/control the computer when Im not at home, however to do this I know I need to configure port fowarding.

Here is where the fun starts.
Because I have both a modem and router, how exactly should I set up the hardware so I can access the VNC server?
I currently have the wireless router set up to foward the connection to the appropriate computer, that was the easy part.
Would I now tell the modem to foward to the internet port ip address of the router? (which is assigned by the adsl modem) or to its LAN port IP address?

Or am I going about the whole thing the wrong way....

CYaBro
25-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Would I now tell the modem to foward to the internet port ip address of the router? (which is assigned by the adsl modem)

Yes that's right but it might pay to give the wireless router's internet port a static IP address then in the modem forward the port to that IP address.

Sherman
25-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for that.
As the router's internet port is assigned by the modem anyway, I dont THINK that that will be a problem. It seems to have been the same every time I have checked (even adter rebooting the hardware).

Sherman
26-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, well, well.
Ive just discovered half-bridge mode on my ADSL modem.
Things have suddenly became a whole lot less complicated...