PDA

View Full Version : Woosh Wireless

Jacquie
24-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Can anyone tell us about their recent experiences with Woosh. Am anticipating setting up with them as cost of running a second line into our house is $1500. Need the line for business use so it has to be reliable and long term so a bit nervous of using relatively new technology. Any comments appreciated.

pctek
24-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Don't.

Every Woosh install I have been asked to help with - usually because the customer got crap support or no support from Woosh themselves - has been rubbish.

Speed is barely usable. Even within sight of the tower.

If you want cheap phone services get Ihug.

If you want fast internet and can't get normal broadband then get satellite. Heres one:

www.wirelessnation.co.nz

Not expensive like the others.

johcar
24-04-2007, 08:18 PM
"Individual experience may vary"

I, on the other hand, have consistently received what I consider to be superior customer service from Woosh, although admittedly I only use their wireless internet connection service, not the phone service... My needs are relatively simple: uncapped limits (I'm on 20GB a month - not uncapped I know, but I rarely get anywhere near 10GB...) and a predictable monthly invoice. I am also running two machines (PC and lappie) from the one account - but don't tell anyone!! ;)

Connection speeds vary, depending on where I'm using the laptop and what the weather is doing, but it usually does the job I need it to do (99% of the time), for a price I am comfortable with...

Despite a recent wrong steer on an issue I have with a new PC (corrected soon after), the advice I receive is pretty good and timely and they have often supplied freebie bits to make my Woosh experience more efficient/effective.

[pctek should declare her interest - I believe she does installs for Wirelessnation, so may be a tad biased in that direction... :) However from what I understand, Wirelessnation may be more effective than Woosh in marginal Woosh areas (which, I have to say to be fair, is most places outside main centres, and even some place within main centres).]

pctek
25-04-2007, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=johcar;545036]"Individual experience may vary"

[pctek should declare her interest - I believe she does installs for Wirelessnation, so may be a tad biased in that direction... :) However from what I understand, Wirelessnation may be more effective than Woosh in m

somebody
25-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Unless you're happy with the Woosh service in your area (in terms of signal strength, speeds - would pay to ask around people who live nearby), then don't even think about touching them. I used them last year, and I could actually see the transmitting tower from where I had the booster antenna- yet I would usually get less-than dialup speeds for "broadband" internet. I would strongly suggest that you find another alternative.

Which part of NZ are you in? If you're in Wellington/Christchurch, I'd suggest you try Telstraclear Cable.

dolby digital
25-04-2007, 08:56 AM
I use Woosh at work and the service it pretty good although lucky if we get 30kbs download speed (:annoyed: )

A friend uses Woosh for their phone and internet and my understanding is they are pretty happy with it. Its cheaper than Telecom.

pctek
25-04-2007, 11:35 AM
stuff up on my last post I see.

I said:

I only do SOuthland, not anywhere else, and I may not continue to do them if they keep on being incredibly slow with payment.

It came about because someone asked my opinion on Farmside satellite.
I didn't think much of the $238 per month for 512k/5Gb.
WNs $90 for 2Mb/5gb was much better.

I have come across heaps of people with Woosh here who aren't happy with either the service or the speed.
It varied from 195k to 600k at best.

At least with the satellite service you can expect to get the advertised speed.

beeswax34
25-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I've had Woosh for almost 2 years now, thats phone and internet. Servie is absolutely crap, coverage is patchy and service is intermittent. Their "tech" staff have absolutely no idea about anything except, "tell us your stats" "right, just keep dialling, you'll get through eventually"

Internet is very slow. We keep it simply because it is cheap and we cant be stuffed moving back to Telecom. One word: DONT!!!

pctek
25-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Like I said..............