PDA

View Full Version : one user completely screws up network

Greven
23-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I've got a really strange problem where one PC doesn't like one particular domain user. When you log in as this user, it completely screws up networking on the PC even in standalone mode - it can't release the DHCP address even after rebooting & DNS doesn't work.

I put a new network card in it, reinstalled windows & logged into the domain as a different user & everything worked fine, then I logged in as the problem user & everything screwed up again.

This user works fine on other computers, so it isn't her profile causing the problem.

Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

SurferJoe46
24-04-2007, 03:06 AM
ignore this...it wasn't correct after I thought it over.

Poppa John
24-04-2007, 03:10 AM
ignore this...it wasn't correct after I thought it over.

OK Joe, I will. PJ:groan: Toothache

Myth
24-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Networking, on what OS? (Linux or Windows)
Weird chars in the name? Space in the name?

CYaBro
24-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Roaming profiles?

Greven
24-04-2007, 01:49 PM
win2k small business server. Winxp pro clients. no strange characters in the computer name - e followed by 5 numbers same as all the working PCs.

I think they have roaming profiles.

Even doing a windows repair hasn't fixed the network. I may have to do another clean install & this time not restore the old data.

Graham L
24-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Is the user name the same as the hostname on that computer (user "fred" on fred.mynet.co.nz? It shouldn't cause a problem, but this is a computer system. :D It's probably default that if you use just the hostname rather than the fully qualified host name it is assumed to be on the local network, so fred@joe expands to fred@joe.mynet.co.nz. So if there's an advanced feature in the software and "fred@fred" expands to "fred.mynet.co.nz@fred.mynet.co.nz" ... :badpc:

Anyway, you should be looking at any packets coming from that computer. It's certain to be something "silly" and simple, and obvious when you see the addresses in the packets. Seeing you using tcpdump or [/b]ethereal[/b] on a laptop will really impress people.

This sort of problem should not require a reload of the OS. :(

SolMiester
24-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Is there a GPO on this user acc?

Greven
24-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Is there a GPO on this user acc?

I didn't look into that, but wouldn't a gpo affect any computer the user logs onto?

the strangest thing about this is that the network is still screwed up when you log off & log in as a local user.

SolMiester
24-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Shire
28-04-2007, 02:18 PM
This is pretty strange issue. Did u search on Google Groups to see if there are any similar probs?

Greven
28-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I did another clean install & didn't restore any old data. It works fine now as long as the firewall (ISA) client is disabled. It is strange that I have to leave it disabled when it works fine on all the other computers, but the computer works now & that's the most important thing.