PDA

View Full Version : Turning off keyboard [after pc enter hibernation]

victorcharlie
23-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi, when i press a key on the keyboard [ps2 connection] it turns the pc on [which is in XP Home's Hibernate mode]. I don't want this to happen, but i still want to use Hibernate mode for a quicker bootup/shutdown.

The keyboard does not have a "Power Management" features [in Device Manager] like the network card has. Also, the bios wake up features are all turn off. Can anyone help?

*[Keybooard looks like a standard keyboard that doesn't have multi-media features, etc.. on it]

Jen
24-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Just to clarify what you are asking, you want to be able to stop the keyboard waking the PC from hibernation? You also want to be able to power down the keyboard? How are you intending to end the hibernation?

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Sounds like you're using an ASUS mobo/system which does what you're talking about. Pressing a key turns the PC on. With a PS/2 keyboard.

Its an option in the BIOS under the power menu / power on by PS/2 keyboard option. Which is on some / most ASUS mobos.

victorcharlie
25-04-2007, 11:15 AM
(1.) you want to be able to stop the keyboard waking the PC from hibernation? (2.) You also want to be able to power down the keyboard? (3.) How are you intending to end the hibernation?

(1.) Yes

(2.) If (1.) doesn't works, yeap

(3.) via On/Power button on Computer case, which works.

Speedy Gonzales
25-04-2007, 11:20 AM
If you have to press a key to turn the PC on, its not in hibernation, its off.

Thats the point in having it enabled, if u have an ASUS mobo. Thats its intention. To save u pressing the on/off button to turn the system on.

Which can save wear and tear on the on/off button on the front of the case.

And pressing the on/off button, will end hibernation, coz it'll turn the system off altogether.

victorcharlie
25-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Sounds like you're using an ASUS mobo/system which does what you're talking about. Pressing a key turns the PC on. With a PS/2 keyboard.

Its an option in the BIOS under the power menu / power on by PS/2 keyboard option. Which is on some / most ASUS mobos.

MotherBoard is ASUS [with AwardBIOS], but the option had been disabled.
Maybe that option powers up the comp from complete shutdown or I might need to update the bios [which I have never done].

Now i thinking that hibernation mode works like stand-by mode (whatever that means :])

R2x1
25-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Maybe it's just to stop the cat waking the computer from it's hibernation?
Cats seem to prefer buttons with a (nearly) vertical action stroke. Goldfish are much simpler to keep off the keys, BTW.

victorcharlie
25-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Maybe it's just to stop the cat waking the computer from it's hibernation?
Cats seem to prefer buttons with a (nearly) vertical action stroke. Goldfish are much simpler to keep off the keys, BTW.

;-), I usually eat, read and write on the desk the computer is on, but there isn't much desk space so I'm alway bumping the keyboard.

victorcharlie
25-04-2007, 11:51 AM
To Speedy Gonzales:

I tested the bios option and it seems to only work for/from a complete shut-down.