PDA

View Full Version : Booting from CD

KenESmith
23-04-2007, 02:24 AM
For several days My system would not recognise that there was a disk in the CD drive, this problem still occurring, but with perseverance will clear, however, it is now impossible to boot from CD. As I wish to attempt to repair some problems with the the operating system, without going through the agony of having to re-install everything, this is proving an obstacle. I am currently still with Windows 2000 pro, which up till now has served me well, and I believe generally causes less hassles than XP- that is up till now.
I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this problem - needless to say the system has blocked any changes allow booting from CD.
Thanks,
Ken Smith

SurferJoe46
23-04-2007, 05:45 AM
Firstly, even though this sort of statement tends to generate flames and discontent, 2000 is not as secure as XP WITH SP-2.

Since you state this is a recent change in operation, let me go on a little.

(After donning my fireproof undies), have you tried Safe Mode, which I am quite sure is available in 2000?

Have you checked out the BIOS settings too? That MAY be the results of the problem...now you gotta find out the "why" of the problem.

Running such things as McAfee/Norton/Symantec are all counterproductive as they offer poor performance, gobble gadds or RAM and generally cripple any system, offering poor security along the way at a high cost to security and your purse.

The forum here is death on those products pretty much as a whole. I totally agree.

The reason I say this is that I believe if you don't have a hardware issue with a dead or dying optical drive or it's driver or a BIOS hack, then you have the results of some malware.

I also believe that you can get 2000 up near to, but not as safe as XP.

Welcome to the world of Windows.

Jen
23-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Have you set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the CD device first? Is the CD being recognised OK, no scratches etc? (Try booting it in another computer). Does the CD device spin up and read CDs OK normally?

When you say the "system has blocked any changes", what specifically were they and how did you do them?

SurferJoe46
23-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Have you set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the CD device first? Is the CD being recognised OK, no scratches etc? (Try booting it in another computer). Does the CD device spin up and read CDs OK normally?

When you say the "system has blocked any changes", what specifically were they and how did you do them?

Thanks, Jen, I didn't think in that stream....

The reason I made my statements and didn't go for the BIOS boot sequence is that this is a recent change in performance...not something that was intentionally set by the user...or so it seems to me.

I think this is evident of viral actions. Not being able to see a drive listed is not quite the same as not spinning up or being able to read the content.

Thanks again, for that point. I am humbled at your simpler and probably correct answer...I think I heard Zebras again.

I always leave one of my cd-optical drives as #1 boot device, the Floppy #2, and the root hdd as #3...and I do this on all my puters..makes things a lot easier to moderate that way I feel.

I can also run "Live-cd's" that way without having to reboot and enter the BIOS.

BTW: the clock is ONLY 13 minutes slow now.

Speedy Gonzales
23-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Nothing wrong with 2000. Even tho MS no longer support it.

Altho, I see MS are doing updates/security updates for it.

I would be using it, if it supported my DV cam. But it doesnt.

It doesnt have drivers for it, neither does Panasonic. But XP does.

dugimodo
23-04-2007, 10:42 AM
seems no one has pointed out the obvious, the ability to boot from a CD has nothing to do with your OS no matter what it is.

If you can't boot from CD then it is a BIOS, CD, Optical drive, or hardware issue.

Try several different boot CDs for a start, preferably not a burnt one.
If your BIOS is set ok and not somehow defaulted or similar then it's most likely the optical drive - this would also explain the not recognising CD's issue.

A simple thing a lot of people don't do is to run a lense cleaner through the drive - even an audio CD lense cleaner is fine, this has "fixed" several "faulty" drives for me when working with older machines.

Optical drives do wear out though, lasers don't last forever so if it's more than 12 months old or you're a heavy user that could be the problem.

Jen
23-04-2007, 04:36 PM
seems no one has pointed out the obvious, the ability to boot from a CD has nothing to do with your OS no matter what it is.Oh really? Think you find they have ... ;)

KenESmith
24-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Thank you for your input - the BIOS had not been changed - we finally got it to boot from a CD by disabling Norton. Problems all started with apparent failure of the floppy drive, and this was accompanied with failure to recognise a CD in the Drive, although it recognised a music CD. At the same time the system failed to recognise a USB Memory stick (that has been resolved). We changed the Floppy Drive for a known serviceable unit - although we no longer get a message on booting advising failure of Floppy Drive - we now get a message saying the Disk requires formatting, irrespective of whether it is a new blank formatted disk or a written disk. I am tending to suspect a viral problem.
We are stll working through the issues and will post progress such as it is.
Thank you all for your advice.
Regards.
Ken

SurferJoe46
24-04-2007, 02:40 AM
and another nail in the coffin for Norton.....

dugimodo
24-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh really? Think you find they have ... ;)

well not that I saw... maybe in a PM?

anyway although there's lots of helpfull advice being offered I just wanted to point out that all this talk about norton's / win200 etc is irrelevant when it comes to booting off a CD, that's a BIOS function as you probably were getting at when you asked about BIOS settings etc, and as such comes before any access of the OS and any installed software.

There are a few virus's that have been known to corrupt the BIOS but a faulty optical drive, or dirty lense, seems far more likely to me