PDA

View Full Version : Compaq computer with no Works 8.0 CD

bhowden
21-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Back in February I bought a new Compaq PC it was one of the last computers on sale to not include Windows Vista but Windows XP instead. The comptuer came advertised with Microsoft Works 8.0 as one of the included software applications but when I got the computer home I noticed there was no CD-ROM to Works just a slip of paper from HP with a licence sticker for Microsoft Works on it. There is no CD key on this just a product ID. I understand that for the past 7 years companies such as Compaq, Dell, Acer etc don't include the Windows CD and this wasn't a problem as I have every intention of installing a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate anyhow.
The problem is that inside the copy of Windows XP Media Center that came with the PC whenever I try to do certain things in Microsoft Works I get asked to insert the CD I don't have, such as load Microsoft Word or search for an article in Encarta.
I have spoken to Harvey Normans where I purchased the PC to make sure the CD didn't get left out since the computer was the one on display but they told me this is a common thing. Rang Compaq and they told me no CD is included and to use some recovery which I did and does not work both using a full system recovery or application recovery.

Then there is the dilema of my upgrading to Windows Vista. I want to go Ultimate and install a fresh copy without all that Compaq crap that just slows down the computer but doing this means I can't have the copy of Microsoft Works that came with my PC and in my opinion I have paid for in the price of my PC. I asked the Compaq support line about Windows Vista to be told if I upgrade I loose support from them.

I purchased another Compaq in 2003 that came with Windows XP Home (no CD) and Microsoft Works 2003 and a CD, I upgraded to Windows XP Pro that day and was able to use Works since I had a CD, I could use this copy on my new PC but I want to use the newer version that in my opinion I paid for. Also this copy is technically licenced for my old PC not my new one.

Then there is the Express Upgrade copy of Windows Vista Home Premium I am waiting to receive, this is the one I am entitiled to since I purchased the PC between October and March, I orded this since it only cost me the postage and still waiting for it. I assume installing this copy will still entitile me to support from Compaq as it is partly provided by Compaq but whether I will have Microsoft Works available to me is another story.

In all seriousness I don't actually use Microsoft Works that much apart from Money but there are probably heaps of other users out there that have purchased this particular model of Compaq and can't use Microsoft Works because there is no CD.

bob_doe_nz
21-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Find a registered tertiary institution that sells software the students.

Find a subject that is a piece of cake (That Freebie Comp training is usually one)

Get registered and try and get an ID card from it.

Now either
A: Buy software from tertiary institution
B: Using ID card, buy office and Student edition software at Trickie Dickies or a place like that.

bhowden
22-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Find a registered tertiary institution that sells software the students.

Find a subject that is a piece of cake (That Freebie Comp training is usually one)

Get registered and try and get an ID card from it.

Now either
A: Buy software from tertiary institution
B: Using ID card, buy office and Student edition software at Trickie Dickies or a place like that.

Ok that really doesn't solve the problem I actually already have Microsoft Office 2003 (won't upgrade to 2007 as I don't like those stupid menus) on my computer. I want Microsoft Works for Microsoft Money and thats pretty much it. Don't think I should have to fork out any more money for anything instead I should be given the means to use the software that came with the computer.
These are the stats for my PC http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00777753&lc=en&cc=nz&dlc=zh-hant&product=3282968&jumpid=reg_R1002_NZEN&dest_page=product
and as you can see Microsoft Works is listed in the included software.

TGoddard
22-04-2007, 06:46 PM
This is tricky but If you can find a friend with a CD of the same version of Works then you are legally entitled to install a copy using your licence key. The licence rather than the physical disk is what you received with your computer, though they should've provided a better means of installing the software.

Incidentally, what do you need Works for?

Sweep
22-04-2007, 10:06 PM
This is tricky but If you can find a friend with a CD of the same version of Works then you are legally entitled to install a copy using your licence key. The licence rather than the physical disk is what you received with your computer, though they should've provided a better means of installing the software.

Incidentally, what do you need Works for?

This person has/had the works 8 SUITE and uses Microsoft Money which came with the SUITE.

bhowden
02-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok an update to this. It turns out it was not Compaqs fault but Harvey Normans fault. Some Compaq computers come with Microsoft Works 8.0 and no CD others do include a CD. Mine was supposed to but since I bought the last of that model computer I got the display model and the guys put the computer in the wrong box so it turns out some one else bought a display model Compaq computer and got my Works CD. So after establishing that Harvey Normans have finally given me a copy of Works Suite 2006 at no cost to me.