PDA

View Full Version : Up-grading a CPU

meg_h_nz
21-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi Guys
Probably a silly question but here goes.....
I have a P 4 LGA775 3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache CPU on a Gigabyte 81915P Pro LGA775 ATX, Intel 915P Motherboard. Is it possible to up grade to a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU or do I have to get a new Motherboard?

Many thanks
Meg

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2007, 05:36 PM
It's either this mobo (http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1803)

Or this one (http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1877)

I think you'll have to check the mobo to see which revision mobo you've got.

It should be etched on it.

chiefnz
21-04-2007, 05:48 PM
In short..... yes it does

qazwsxokmijn
21-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Same socket, LGA775. But the 915 chipset doesn't support Core 2 Duo.

Pete O'Neil
21-04-2007, 07:19 PM
That motherboard doesn't support C2D's, you'll struggle to find any board that will support DDR1 and C2D's, so you'll probably need to replace your memory while your at it.

meg_h_nz
21-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Speedy Gonzales
It seems to be the GA-8I915P Pro (Rev 2.x) (from what I can see from my photo I took last year of the MB) Does this make a difference to upgrading to C2D?

Many thanks

qazwsxokmijn
21-04-2007, 11:25 PM
It does. Although the housing is compatible - LGA775; the chipset (915) doesn't support C2D CPUs.

So you'll have to buy a new motherboard, sorry. A 965 or 975 chipset motherboard supports C2D.

Twelvevolts
22-04-2007, 12:19 AM
It does. Although the housing is compatible - LGA775; the chipset (915) doesn't support C2D CPUs.

So you'll have to buy a new motherboard, sorry. A 965 or 975 chipset motherboard supports C2D. Motherboards are cheap anyways

Faded_Mantis
22-04-2007, 01:50 AM
MB's may be, but as some one mentioned before, if she is using DDR1 then she'll need to get DDR2 memory aswell.

MB + RAM + C2D would be looking at $600+ (depending on which MB, RAM and C2D model you got)

meg_h_nz
22-04-2007, 11:01 PM
RAM is 1GB DDR-400 Dual Channel (2 X 512M, 32M X 8 CL2.5)
SO is that DDR1 or DDR2 or what?
Sorry ignorance is showing here :)

Sherman
22-04-2007, 11:05 PM
That be DDR1 im afraid...

meg_h_nz
22-04-2007, 11:19 PM
oh darn! Looks like my "built-to-order" pc is not going to be as up gradable as I first thought. Having said that it is 2 years old but having to replace the mother board and CPU and RAM and I need a new graphics card as well, I may as well start from scratch....... again
I do have a groovy case :)

Greg
23-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Bad luck. I'm in the same boat. The positive however is that you can sell off your old PC as a full working system.

SolMiester
23-04-2007, 11:37 AM
oh darn! Looks like my "built-to-order" pc is not going to be as up gradable as I first thought. Having said that it is 2 years old but having to replace the mother board and CPU and RAM and I need a new graphics card as well, I may as well start from scratch....... again
I do have a groovy case :)

Why do you need to do all this, your pc looks like it falls into the top 10% of pc is the world.!

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Well the reason is simple (but very SAD!) I love playing Sims2 and even though my pc is way over spec'ed for Sims2 for some reason it cant cope with it. (I have tried other games like Joan of Ark, Jedi Knight etc and they all struggle and then crash)
(and I have updated all my drivers, many times, used alternate drivers, and much more to try and improve performance)
After much research I discovered that Sims2 uses much more CPU power than I first thought, hence the reason I hoped to upgarde my CPU to a C2D hoping for a quick fix to my problem......... seems like I am doomed to Sim2 crashing for ever...... well until I can afford a new pc.
I have been here, PressF1, before and had lots of advice but still none of the offered solutions fixed the problem... :(

Enigmur
23-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I was running Sims2 on a 1.8GHz P4... Not very well, but it was playable to an extent.
And integrated Graphics on my GIgabyte board with 512mb RAM

Something isnt right there, especially looking at your machines specs! Maybe you have dodgey RAM or something because your PC should handle games much more intensive than Sims 2.

dugimodo
23-04-2007, 04:21 PM
yeah something isn't right, you are way over system requirements for cpu / ram

What about your video card - the usual suspect for these problems.

The info I read is that video cards without the T&L feature require significantly more cpu to play sims, so if you have an older video card or are using onboard then thats likely to be the issue.

the bare minmum card for playing modern games would be something like a 6200 (non TC) and a 7600GT would play just abut everything - sorry don't know equivalent ATI cards, at the top end an 8800GTS 320M version would kick arse - depends on wether you have AGP or PCI-E though

The other thing to check is Video resolution and quality settings, turn off AA & AF and then try reducing resolution - too high a setting will kill almost any system

Pete O'Neil
23-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Well the reason is simple (but very SAD!) I love playing Sims2 and even though my pc is way over spec'ed for Sims2 for some reason it cant cope with it. (I have tried other games like Joan of Ark, Jedi Knight etc and they all struggle and then crash)
(and I have updated all my drivers, many times, used alternate drivers, and much more to try and improve performance)
After much research I discovered that Sims2 uses much more CPU power than I first thought, hence the reason I hoped to upgarde my CPU to a C2D hoping for a quick fix to my problem......... seems like I am doomed to Sim2 crashing for ever...... well until I can afford a new pc.
I have been here, PressF1, before and had lots of advice but still none of the offered solutions fixed the problem... :(
The Sims 2 wont run any better on a C2D than it will on a 3.2GHz P4, something else is wrong with your PC. How old is your installation of Windows? Perhaps its time to reinstall windows and start from scratch.

Can you describe the problems your having it more detail? Perhaps we can help get adequate performance in the Sims ;)

SolMiester
23-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Yes, I agree with the above 3 posts, crashing sounds like configuration issues. Crashing has nothing to do with system performance. X600XT is hardly cutting edge, gaming is all about graphics and system RAM.

borax
23-04-2007, 06:02 PM
a quick question regarding this. If the mobo was upgraded, would windows need to be re-installed as the new mobo would have a different chipset,

cheers

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys
First, the Graphics card is a Radeon X600XT PCI-Express 128MB. I have tried the ATI drivers and the Omega drivers. I have also lowered resolution and turned off AA .....still no success.
Secondly, yes it is time to do a reformat (groan) but as I dont have broadband it takes me forever to download all my updates (running XPwith SP2) and even when the system was NEW I had the same problems :(
Thirdly: What happens. The system locks up and the mouse freezes sometimes the music will start to skip other times not. I cant minimise or access anything else. I have to reset from my restset button.
I have always believed that there must be some problem with the system but I cant pin it down and as the only heavy CPU usage software I run is Sims2 I have just stopped playing the game.... :(
Any help is most appreciated.

SolMiester
23-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Maybe, maybe not, if you booted into safe, you may get away with it. Some chipsets are fussier than others.

SolMiester
23-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Meg, lockup's are usually RAM or driver related.

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, I agree with the above 3 posts, crashing sounds like configuration issues. Crashing has nothing to do with system performance. X600XT is hardly cutting edge, gaming is all about graphics and system RAM.

True (but I have read that Sims2 is a heavy end processor) but my graphics card and RAM are way above Minimum specs.
I agree that it is most likely a configuration issue.
How do I find that out?

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Maybe, maybe not, if you booted into safe, you may get away with it. Some chipsets are fussier than others.

lost me???:confused:

Faded_Mantis
23-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Meg, lockup's are usually RAM or driver related.

And seeing as you've updated the drivers it could be the RAM.

Try taking 1 RAM module out to leave yourself with 512, and see if it still locks up, if it does then swap the RAM so the one that was taken out is back in, and the one that was in is taken out, and see if it still gets a lock up.

A few days ago I was going to suggest this, but decided not to as I thought you may be more into photo edited 3d modeling etc, rather than gaming. But now I know it's for games I agree with those who said that a graphics card upgrade would give the biggest performance boost on that system. However this lock-up problem needs to be sorted first.

P.S. As an example Sims2 runs fine on my computer...

Sempron 64 3000+ (1.8ghz)
1024mb DDR400
nVidia 6200TC 256mb (64mb onboard, 192 from system mem) -o/c'ed to 411mhz(up from 350) core 508mhz memory (up from 480)

And yours has mine out classed in everything except RAM, where they are equal

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 06:23 PM
If the RAM is faulty would it show as 1GB on a system check? or would it show as less?

The_End_Of_Reality
23-04-2007, 06:35 PM
It still usually shows up as normal amount, but a test with Memtest (http://www.memtest.org/) overnight will tell you if there are any issues with the RAM

SolMiester
23-04-2007, 06:45 PM
lost me???:confused:

Borax question bottom page 2

Pete O'Neil
23-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Memtest is the better option than pulling parts out of the PC, if there are any memory issues it'll find them. Seeing as it happens even with a clean Windows install it would suggest its a hardware problem. The Sims is far from a CPU intensive game, try Supreme Commander and you'll know what a CPU intensive game is. Your CPU is more than adequate for the Sims.

The CPU could be overheating, so perhaps try Prime95 to see if that causes the same problem? Or it could be a PSU related prob, but try Memtest first ;)

On a related note, just downloaded and used the Ultimate Boot CD to diagnose a broken PC, what an awesome piece of software wish i had started using it years ago,

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 07:48 PM
OK so I am on the Memtest site.... which one do I download?

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 07:51 PM
The CPU could be overheating, so perhaps try Prime95 to see if that causes the same problem? Or it could be a PSU related prob, but try Memtest first ;)

I have wondered this myself, what is an optimum running temp for my CPU?

The_End_Of_Reality
23-04-2007, 09:16 PM
OK so I am on the Memtest site.... which one do I download? Download this (http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70/memtest86+-1.70.iso.zip) it is a pre-built ISO, all you have to do is burn it to a CD via Burn ISO to CD option (if Nero) and then reboot the PC with the CD in the drive and leave it overnight

meg_h_nz
23-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Not sure what you mean by "burn it to a CD via Burn ISO to CD option "

Greg
24-04-2007, 01:51 AM
You download the ISO file, then when/if using Nero to burn it to CD, there is an option "Burn ISO to CD" - select it.

dugimodo
24-04-2007, 04:07 PM
think it's in the tools or extras menu "burn disc from image"

meg_h_nz
24-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Tried and failed :|
My disk drive dosent seem to recognise the Memtest CD so I tried loading a trial disk and it wouldnt auto install (I had to use Windows Explorer to find the "setup.exe" file) so maybe that is causing a problem with the disk drive?
I have checked the settings in my drives properties and auto run is ticked.

dugimodo
25-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I think this is a boot CD, meaning you set yout BIOS up to boot from CD - eg boot order floppy,cd,hdd then re-boot the machine with it in the drive. You don't use it from windows except to burn it in the first place, might give it a go myself, pushing the latency pretty hard on my RAM

The_End_Of_Reality
25-04-2007, 08:25 AM
You need to set the BIOS to boot from CD, this is usually done buy getting into the BIOS right when you turn the PC on, it is the Del key for you mobo by the looks of it, keep pressing it once you turn the PC on till the BIOS screen comes up. The settings you are looking for are usually in the Advanced menu, 1st boot device, 2nd boot device, 3rd boot device etc, change 1st to CDROM or Floppy and 2nd to CDROM or Floppy (which ever you didn't set to in 1st) and finally 3rd as what 1st currently is (Harddrive, IDE0, there are many names for this one...) save and exit the BIOS, you can leave it set like this, it makes it easier if you need to boot from CD or Floppy. then you will be able to boot into memtest

meg_h_nz
25-04-2007, 05:24 PM
When I enter my advanced BIOS settings I get the following:
Hard Disk Boot Priority
First Boot Device ........ CD ROM drive
Second Boot Device ........Floppy
Third Boot Device..... Hard Drive

If I select Hard Disk Boot Priortiy it reads:
1) CH0 M : SATA1-5T380013AS
2) Bootable Add-in Cards

What should I change?
Many thanks

The_End_Of_Reality
25-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Nothing, it is already set to boot from CD, then floppy and finally HDD...

So my guess is that you did not burn the ISO to CD properly... what software are you using to burn it?

meg_h_nz
25-04-2007, 07:08 PM
I used Nero. I am not very experienced using it. Is there any other software I could use?

meg_h_nz
25-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I noticed that when I downloaded Memtest it arrived in a Zip file and when opened it becomes a WinRAR file. Should I burn the WinRAR file as it is on to the CD?

Pete O'Neil
25-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I noticed that when I downloaded Memtest it arrived in a Zip file and when opened it becomes a WinRAR file. Should I burn the WinRAR file as it is on to the CD?
Do you mean it had a .rar file extension or it was just associated with WinRAR? WinRAR can view and modify .iso files, so chances are its not actually a .rar file but merely associated with WinRAR.

The_End_Of_Reality
25-04-2007, 08:09 PM
It is associated with WinRar, it is not a Winrar archive, it is an ISO.

Open Nero smart start and under the backup menu, there is an option "Burn image to Disc, select this. then browse to the place where you extracted the Memtest ISO to and burn it

meg_h_nz
26-04-2007, 06:02 PM
OK... I am back!
I got Memtest to work and work it did for 22 hours, and even then it didnt finish!!!!
Is that normal?
How long should it take to test 1GB RAM?
I ended up taking a screen shot and escaping so I could clear email and get back to ask this question.
If some one reminds me I will post the photo so those of you more experienced with Memtest can tell me whats up.

Many thanks

Pete O'Neil
26-04-2007, 06:16 PM
If memtest ran for 22hrs without any errors then chances are the memory is fine. Try the Prime95 torture test to see if the CPU is stable underload.

meg_h_nz
26-04-2007, 06:53 PM
If memtest ran for 22hrs without any errors then chances are the memory is fine. Try the Prime95 torture test to see if the CPU is stable underload.

Hi Pete
So...... How long does the Prime95 Test take to run?
I cant cope with another 22 hours without my computer:dogeye:

borax
26-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi Pete
So...... How long does the Prime95 Test take to run?
I cant cope with another 22 hours without my computer:dogeye:

MEMtest is designed to run as long as you want it to, forever if you want. The longer you leave it the more reliable the results are going to be.

Graham L
26-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Memtest will run forever (or until the power fails, whichever is soonest). You might have seen that it shows its counters on the screen. The "Passes" is the number of times it has gone through all its test on all of your memory. If there are no "errors" reported, the memory is OK.

The torture programme will be similar. It will work the system as hard as it can. If you get no faults reported in a reasonable time, stop it. How long does Sim run before failing? That's one measure of a "reasonable" time. ;)

meg_h_nz
26-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Sims2 running time depends on what mode I am in. Building mode is when it usually crashes and thats what I mostly do (I dont really play the Sim characters at all really) and it can be short or long (10 minutes to 30 minutes)

I am worried that Prime95 might overheat my CPU.
What are the chances of that happening?

The_End_Of_Reality
26-04-2007, 07:29 PM
If it overheats, then the system will shutdown before any damage can happen to the CPU, but it is very unlikely that it will over heat (as long as the heat sink and fan is on properly and you are not overclocking (which I would say not)) a CPUs HSF is designed to be able to easily dissipate the heat that it produces at stock speeds, yours will be fine, but get Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan432.exe) and install it, run it and it will tell you the CPU temp (usually Temp 1) tell us what this is while only speedfan is open and running, then get Prime95 running and about 30 mins in record the temp and tell us.

Pete O'Neil
26-04-2007, 07:54 PM
If the system is crashing and its not a memory issues then chances are its a heat problem. Prime95 will put the CPU under intense load, far greater than anything the Sims will subject the CPU too. If its still going strong without crashing after an hour then its fine to turn off Prime95 and move on to testing other components.

The P4's had built in thermal protection that caused them to shutdown if the temperature got too high. Don't be worried about overheating the PC. If the PC shuts down or crashes its a good sign, at least we've then identified the culprit :)

meg_h_nz
26-04-2007, 09:40 PM
I have GIGABYTE Utility manager installed and that gives a CPU temp reading. Will that be ok or should I down load Speedfan?

The_End_Of_Reality
26-04-2007, 10:09 PM
No, that will do fine, anything that can read out the temps, I said speedfan cause it is good and easy to use... but seeing as you have the Gigabyte, one use that :)

meg_h_nz
26-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Temp sitting at 66 degrees C. Is that High?

Sherman
26-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Temp sitting at 66 degrees C. Is that High?

Is that before, after or during the Prime95 test?

meg_h_nz
27-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Is that before, after or during the Prime95 test?

Durring.

Greg
27-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Temp sitting at 66 degrees C. Is that High?Althought that's tolerable, it is high for your CPU. Mine sits at around 35.

The_End_Of_Reality
27-04-2007, 07:08 AM
No, that is fine, P4s do run quite hot and then there is the Prescott which is even hotter :eek:

What is the exact model of P4 that you have?

What type of PC is it? (Desktop, tower etc)

EDIT: how long did you have Prime 95 running for?

EDIT EDIT: just thinking about it, that is rather high... depending on you actual CPU model it could even be close to the max recommended temperature...

meg_h_nz
27-04-2007, 09:36 AM
What is the exact model of P4 that you have?

What type of PC is it? (Desktop, tower etc)

EDIT: how long did you have Prime 95 running for?

EDIT EDIT: just thinking about it, that is rather high... depending on you actual CPU model it could even be close to the max recommended temperature...

CPU: P4 LAG775 3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache.
Case: FSP Midtower Case with 350W Power Supply.
Ran Prime95 for 5 hours with no errors.

This may sound silly but I was hoping that one of these tests would turn up a problem so I could at the very least identify the issue and work on fixing it.
No luck so far:(

Graham L
27-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Now try running Sim. What temperature does that provoke? ;)

There seems to be a consensus that you have a computer with specifications that most of us would love to have, and you shouldn't need to upgrade.

Next thought: I wonder if it is the RAM after all. :horrified Memtest probably doesn't stress the CPU much, so the board/box temperature won't be very high.

You could try Memtest immediately after Sim has crashed, or after running Prime95 to get the temperature up.

If this is the problem you should get errors very quickly.

Pete O'Neil
27-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Based on the test you've conducted so far I'm fairly confident that the CPU and memory aren't the problem. Assuming its not a software issue my suspicion would be the video card, the easiest way to test would be to run in through a loop of 3DMark, unfortunately unlike Prime95 or Memtest its not a small download, are you on dail-up or broadband?

meg_h_nz
27-04-2007, 07:26 PM
OH cr*p. I am on dail up. How big is the download?

I always intedned to upgrade my graphics card around the two year mark (thats six months ago)
When I did the original build I put as much bang-for-my-buck (for back then) as I could into my MB, CPU & RAM knowing that the graphisc card would be the first thing I would upgrade.
So the next question: What graphics card should I upgrade to? Keeping in mind I dont have $1500 to spend on one :)

The_End_Of_Reality
27-04-2007, 07:55 PM
CPU: P4 LAG775 3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache.
Case: FSP Midtower Case with 350W Power Supply.
Ran Prime95 for 5 hours with no errors.

This may sound silly but I was hoping that one of these tests would turn up a problem so I could at the very least identify the issue and work on fixing it.
No luck so far:( No, that is the specs of it, I was meaning the actual model :p I think it is a P4 541.

Cooling should be OK, I know that the desktop cases (CPU under HDD or CD drive) get the CPU really hot...

That would be long enough to get an error or crash if the sims does in less than that...

Try upgrading your motherboard drivers and see if it is a driver issue.

OH cr*p. I am on dail up. How big is the download?

I always intedned to upgrade my graphics card around the two year mark (thats six months ago)
When I did the original build I put as much bang-for-my-buck (for back then) as I could into my MB, CPU & RAM knowing that the graphisc card would be the first thing I would upgrade.
So the next question: What graphics card should I upgrade to? Keeping in mind I dont have $1500 to spend on one :) 3D Mark 06 is 580MB :p

I would say a 7600GT PCI-E (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348938) card would offer you good performance vs cost and the CPU will still handel it. ofcourse you can go higher, but then the CPU might start to limit the GFX cards performance...

meg_h_nz
27-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Found the CPU box.
It says Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540 (I imagine that the 541 was one step up???)

The_End_Of_Reality
27-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Not sure, it looks like they are classed as the same thing...

Anyway, according to this (http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30235104.pdf) and tables 5.1 and 5.3 you max safe CPU temp is 67.7C... hmm... how confident are you of opening the case and taking a look at the CPUs heatsink and fan? to see if it is clogged up*

meg_h_nz
27-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I have opened the case quite a few times to blow out the dust and clean the fans etc. It never makes any difference.

dugimodo
28-04-2007, 12:44 AM
It would seem you're getting far too close for comfort judging by previous posts, could be that the heatsink isn't seated properly or the thermal paste needs replacing. If you want to do this yourself make sure not to touch the thernal paste with your fingers.

As for Graphics card I don't know much about ATI but for nVidia the best bang for buck options listed from least powerful up are:

7600GT - good budget card will play all games at least 1024x768
7900GS - a bit better should handle 1280x1024
7950GT - getting pretty good can turn on AA and AF with this
8800GTS 320M version, any more performance than this will cost a fortune

there are a lot of other cards but these represent the best value between $250-$600 for example a 7900GTX is slower than the 8800GTS and costs a lot more, a 7900GT is barely any faster than the GS and again more expensive.

borax
28-04-2007, 08:55 AM
have you got all the latest patches (if any) available for the Sims game, might help

Greg
28-04-2007, 09:57 AM
make sure not to touch the thernal paste with your fingersWhy not? It's the easiest way to put a very light smear onto the chip.

meg_h_nz
28-04-2007, 10:48 AM
have you got all the latest patches (if any) available for the Sims game, might help

been there, done that

The_End_Of_Reality
28-04-2007, 10:51 AM
been there, done that What about the motherboard drivers?

meg_h_nz
28-04-2007, 10:51 AM
It would seem you're getting far too close for comfort judging by previous posts.......

Too close to what?
I have been told it is standard practice to blow the dust out of the case.
What do you base this advice on?

meg_h_nz
28-04-2007, 10:52 AM
What about the motherboard drivers?

done that too.

SolMiester
28-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Just been reading the end of this thread and wondered perhaps if the pc is crashing?, it could be the PSU. 350w isnt exactly very powerful and P4 are very power hungry. Can you please post the rating of the PSU which should be listed on the side of the unit.
all values pls.

meg_h_nz
28-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Just been reading the end of this thread and wondered perhaps if the pc is crashing?, it could be the PSU. 350w isnt exactly very powerful and P4 are very power hungry. Can you please post the rating of the PSU which should be listed on the side of the unit.
all values pls.

sorry, the side of what unit?

The_End_Of_Reality
28-04-2007, 01:31 PM
sorry, the side of what unit? on the side of the PSU, you will see a table on it when you open up the case (the PSU is towards the back of the case and up the top)

meg_h_nz
28-04-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103484
this is the same model

meg_h_nz
28-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Sorry, I found this link is the actual FSP model.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14060

Pete O'Neil
28-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Before you go upgrading the video card its probably a good idea to fix the current problem. There are plenty of options for video card upgrades and thats an easy discussion for later one.

That PSU definitely seem a lil underpowered for your PC, especially the 12v rail. Does the X600XT require an extra power connector? If it does it will be drawing from an already underpowered 12v rail, and if the video card isn't getting enough power that would definitely cause instability.

SolMiester
28-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Before you go upgrading the video card its probably a good idea to fix the current problem. There are plenty of options for video card upgrades and thats an easy discussion for later one.

That PSU definitely seem a lil underpowered for your PC, especially the 12v rail. Does the X600XT require an extra power connector? If it does it will be drawing from an already underpowered 12v rail, and if the video card isn't getting enough power that would definitely cause instability.

Yeah, thats what I thought, though the x600 isnt power hungry, the P4 is.....maybe a weak psu and not very efficient.

If the pc is switching off rather than restarting, i reckon its the psu

meg_h_nz
28-04-2007, 11:47 PM
It isnt restarting,the graphics hang, music replays in a short loop (not every time)and then the system freezes and the only way I can get out of it is to manualy press restart on the case.

meg_h_nz
29-04-2007, 12:19 AM
I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for their helpful input over the issues I am having with my computer. I am genuinely grateful for all the time and advice that has been posted here.

BUT:
My problem is that I am more confused than ever!
My RAM seems ok, as does my CPU, so maybe it is my graphics card or even my PSU....... ??????

So keep the ideas coming..... we may even crack this one :)

Graham L
29-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Have you tried the memory test when the system is hot? Run the CPU torture tester for a while, then immediately bot up memtest.