PDA

View Full Version : Network file copying "access denied"

Chris815
19-04-2007, 06:37 PM
I am on a network where I can access certain folders on another computer. Since about November or December last year, I have not been able to copy certain files from these folders onto my computer, as it comes up with an "access denied" message:

--
Error Copying File or Folder
---------------------------
Cannot copy [file name]: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
and that the file is not currently in use.
--

This is strange because all other files modified before Nov/Dec can be copied and/or accessed just fine. The more recent ones cannot. None of the files are "full or write-protected". What can I do to change this, as the only way I can currently access/copy the files is to use a USB! Thanks.

kjaada
19-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I saw a similar problem on this forum a while ago and it was to do with permissions and was brought about by a particular update from MS for XP.I am not sure but I think it is cured by changes to file access permission in the firewall of the puter the folders are on.Try for a start turning off the firewall on the other puter and see if that works befor you investigate further.

The_End_Of_Reality
19-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Try unsharing the files and folders and then reshare them and tick allow all network users to change my files (or whatever it is) (it is just a theory, but it might update the permissions)

Speedy Gonzales
19-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Yup, if u have any firewalls on anything, give the networked PC access in the firewall's config.

And make sure the folder is shared.

Chris815
19-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Yup, if u have any firewalls on anything, give the networked PC access in the firewall's config.

And make sure the folder is shared.

The folder is shared, that's how I can access it from this PC. There are a lot of settings in the firewall, what should I change exactly?

Speedy Gonzales
19-04-2007, 08:13 PM
What firewall?

Chris815
19-04-2007, 08:26 PM
What firewall?

I know you don't like it, but just the standard Windows Firewall.

mabix
19-04-2007, 08:49 PM
ewww Windows Firewall
um why dont u just disable it alltogether then try? if it dosent work it rules out the firewall

Speedy Gonzales
19-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Is it XP Home or Pro?

Chris815
19-04-2007, 09:21 PM
ewww Windows Firewall
um why dont u just disable it alltogether then try? if it dosent work it rules out the firewall

It doesn't change anything. I turned it off on both PCs and still "access denied".

Is it XP Home or Pro?

XP Home, SP2.

mabix
19-04-2007, 11:35 PM
thats wierd. very wierd.

haha. do you have system restore on by any chance?

Renmoo
20-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Can you open the files from another computer via your network?

Cheers :)

mejobloggs
20-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Try unsharing the files and folders and then reshare them and tick allow all network users to change my files (or whatever it is) (it is just a theory, but it might update the permissions)

This would definately fix the error, if it was the reason for getting it. You can share a folder, but that doesn't mean the other computer can do anything with that folder apart from read.

As said, make sure the tick to 'allow network users to change my files' is ticked, otherwise the folder is read only, and would give that error.

The_End_Of_Reality
20-04-2007, 09:50 AM
This would definately fix the error, if it was the reason for getting it. You can share a folder, but that doesn't mean the other computer can do anything with that folder apart from read.

As said, make sure the tick to 'allow network users to change my files' is ticked, otherwise the folder is read only, and would give that error. Thank you for verifying that :D seems like the OPer hasn't tried that yet... :rolleyes:

Chris815
20-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, the folders are shared (with the "allow all network users to change my files" option checked). I can only access the files from the computer they're on, not this one. When I try to, it displays the access denied message.

The_End_Of_Reality
20-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Well try as my first post said and unshare the files and folders and then reshare them

Chris815
20-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Okay, I'll try it as soon as I can.