PDA

View Full Version : US Robotics External Modem & Linux

19-02-2001, 06:32 PM
I have just made the switch to Linux Mandrake 7.2 and have had no problems but with the External Courior V.Everything 56k Modem. When it goes to dial in the script Debugger it goes to a point of connecting to Xtra and then expects ogon command. It then show a bunch of unusual (system) characters and fails to connect. This does not seem to happen on another external Dynalink 33.6 but it is not mine and I have to give it back. Sometimes it will connect as root but not as a normal user. Please help before I loose by borrowed modem.

20-02-2001, 12:49 PM
We need more information, pleae. What are you using to connect? Are you using an X-based dialler such as gnome-ppp or KPPP, or are you running the PPP daemon directly from the commandline?

Some X-based diallers allow you to enter your login details directly, while others require you to edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (which I think you also have to do to use the PPP daemon from the command line). However, the fact that one modem works but the other doesn't would suggest that this is probably not the problem.

Are you sure that it's not a hardware problem? Have you tried the same modem with another OS? Have you checked that your external COM port is functioning? Have you checked the BIOS settings for the relevant COM port?

20-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am using x windows and kppp dialer from the graphical environment. It is the same com port as the other modem and I have no problems with the modem in Windoes 98. I can Query the Modem in Kppp and it provides me with the correct information. I wonder If I need a special modem string?

Thanks again
Mike