PDA

View Full Version : RAID array help please!

baalphegor
16-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I think my motherboard has stopped functioning properly as the computer boots and then resets after 10 seconds then every 3 seconds after that. Not wishing to destroy any components I have taken it out of commission. I had a RAID array however built on the onboard Promise Lite controller which I want to get the information back. Unfortunately I have no backup disks for a lot of information as I was about to purchase a DVD writer for this purpose. Is there a way to rebuild the array on another computer? I have been given a Highpoint RAID controller which doesn't recognise the array I guess because it is a different type.

Any suggestions? or do I have to download again all the updates I spent hours getting!

Thanks.

tweak'e
16-04-2007, 10:31 PM
it will work if you use another promise controller provided you set it up exactly the same way the old one was.

don't forget the OS may not run with a new motherboard but if you use another install to boot with and use it to access the raid array to copy the data off.

pctek
16-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Its kind of funny really, wasn't RAID originally designed as a sort of protection?

Big John
17-04-2007, 01:38 AM
I had my RAID array set up by someone else and Windows XP installed on it because my MB would not detect it properly on the reboots when trying to install. It was built on another machine totally.
When I fired it up in my machine I just attached the drives and went into the RAID setup and it immediately detected the drives and said they had been part of an array and asked if I wanted it put back in. I said Yes and it put it in and continued booting from the RAID array as it should have.
No extra bits or configuring to do at all.

TGoddard
17-04-2007, 08:43 AM
RAID can be done in either hardware or software. Hardware RAID uses unique formats for each manufacturer. You need another computer with the same type of RAID hardware to be able to restore it. Software RAID is much more portable but consumes computer resources (i.e. memory and CPU time).

baalphegor
17-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks,

I will look into getting hold of a Promise RAID controller card. I have now got access to another PC just need to find out the closest match for the controller. I have emailed Promise to tell me which is the closest card to a PDC20276 onboard controller chip.

And yes tweak'e it is ironic but RAID-0 is the only misnamed RAID array. Where is the redunancy!

tweak'e
17-04-2007, 08:04 PM
with promise you should be able to use any promise controller (acording to their site). howevr just check the defaults stripe sizes may be different.