PDA

View Full Version : Windows Display Messed Up

Tracer-Bullet
14-04-2007, 08:38 AM
I've just turned on my Pc and all of a sudden without me doing anything Windows has decided to revert to the classic settings. Everything including, IE7, word, Media player is all in classic. I've gone into Display Properites and looked at the Windows and buttons section and it says "Windows Classic Style". But that's all it says, there isn't another option that says "Windows Xp style" or anything like that.

I don't have a clue why this has happened as I have done absolutley nothing other than turn my Pc on like normal.

Just please how do I get back to the XP styling?

Thanks,
~Tracer

Jen
14-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Have your tried rebooting your machine? What about logging on with a different profile? There is another section you can look at under Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Performance > Visual Effects. See what has been selected with the radio buttons. How much RAM do you have?

Tracer-Bullet
14-04-2007, 08:57 AM
I've restarted about 3 times and nothing has changed. It's just decided to change to the old Windows Classic display. I've looked in appearance under properties and the option to change to XP isn't there, just the self selected Windows Classic Stlye.

As for RAM I've got 2 GB but system specs shouldn't have anything to do with it since it's been working fine for about 4 months.

lotse
14-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi
Question

I did a search on this and came up with a solution that worked for others. Unfortunately it came from another forum, which I don't think I'm allowed to advertise. Here the question and the solution:

Question:

My theme in Windows XP was changed from XP to Classic and I can't change it back. The option under Appearance in Display Properties is not there any more. This happened after I ran CleanUp!, which when it had finished a window poped up stating that files that Win XP SP2 needs were changed with invalid files. The pop-up asked me to insert the SP2 CD but I don't have that CD so I had to accept the changes.

I've tried to reset the Themes (under Admin Tools/Services) and tried to reinstall the "Luna" theme, but nothing works. I'll add that I still have access to the Theme "Luna", but not the Windows and buttons Windows XP style.

Is there anything I can do to get that style back? Thanks.

P.S. I ran CleanUp! as it was recommended to be done before running ewido security suite (in Safe mode). I have the very annoying "Aurora" spyware on my comp and I was trying to remove it (since Ad-aware, MS Antispyware, nor S&D do not completely remove this spyware). I still have this apyware on my comp and I will need help removing this too. I'm aware that there is a spyware topic in this forum. Will I have to paste my HijackThis info in a new topic there or should I keep it in this thread? Thanks again

Solution:

The fix for me was resetting the "Themes" service in services.msc to Automatic because I had disabled it awhile ago. Rebooted and the option reappeared.
To check to see if your Themes service is disabled:
Start -> Run -> "services.msc" (without quotes)
Scroll down the list and right-click on the service "Themes"
Select "Properties"
Select "Automatic" from the drop-down menu and click OK.
Reboot.

Hope that helps

Tracer-Bullet
14-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I'll have a go.

lotse
14-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Sorry, I messed up. Try rereading my post. If thast doesn't help I'll pm you the link..

Tracer-Bullet
14-04-2007, 09:20 AM
That is so weird. I did what you said and the option turned out to allready be selected on "Automatic". I clicked o.k anyway and restarted. Everything seems to be o.k except it reverted to classic for about 2 seconds whilst typing this. but everything seems to be o.k so thanks for your help!

Much appreciate it,
~Tracer

Tracer-Bullet
14-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Cancel that it's pissed up again.

Tracer-Bullet
14-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Here's a screenshot of my problem:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Tracer-Bullet/?action=view&current=untitledd.jpg

drcspy
14-04-2007, 11:57 AM
try sytsem restore to take it back before the problem ?

radium
14-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Try This Link (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/classicdisable.reg)it's from kellys-korner.

It's a reg file to undo stuck in classic mode.

Goodluck