PDA

View Full Version : Disk Defrag problem

jen12
12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could please help with my dilemma. Im not a big computer whizz but have some idea...Anyway, I am trying to Defrag my computer as it is soooooo slow. However when I try this it comes up with the message...
"Disk Defrag. has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (C:) Please run Chkdsk/f

So I tried chkdsk and it came up with this message...

"Chkdsk cannot run because volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system restarts?"

I have checked my scheduled items and there is nothing scheduled at all. I have also tried answering yes to the above and rea\starting the computer...also no luck.

Any suggestions?? any?? Im trying to avoid taking it to a repair shop. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jen

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Have you tried defragging in safe mode??

What version of Windows is it?

jen12
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi,

Version is windows 2000, How do I defrag in safe mode?

Graham L
12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Use the F8 key when Windows is booting to get the Windows options.

I have a suspicion that you should be able to defrag without needing safe mode. I'm pretty sure I just do it logged in as Administrator.

BTW, welcome to PressF1.

radium
12-04-2007, 07:43 PM
"Chkdsk cannot run because volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system restarts?"

I have checked my scheduled items and there is nothing scheduled at all. I have also tried answering yes to the above and rea\starting the computer...also no luck.

So did you get Chkdsk to run?

jen12
12-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Im pretty sure I am logged on as administrtor...

Also tried pressing F8 when rebooting?? Nothing... Am I maybe doing something wrong?

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Im pretty sure I am logged on as administrtor...

Also tried pressing F8 when rebooting?? Nothing... Am I maybe doing something wrong?

Hold the F8 key down, until the menu comes up then select safe mode.

jen12
12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
OK...went via safe mode and logged in as administrator. Tried to defrag and chkdsk and neither worked. Still came up with same messages??

Any other suggestions?

jen12
12-04-2007, 09:02 PM
OK...went via safe mode and logged in as administrator. Tried to defrag and chkdsk and neither worked. Still came up with same messages??

Any other suggestions?

supergran
12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
A real rough way of doing it is to turn everything off except explorer and systray in your task manager, then try to run it. Then, if it works, after it has finished reboot, and that way you get your programs back. Not really to be recommended, but it is how I have done it before now.

Tony.br
13-04-2007, 07:15 AM
I am not at my computer as I am away but seach for the AUSLOGIC 3rd party defragmenter

It is quite good and may work. There are a few other freee ones but I cannot bring the names to mind.

A general search may turn up others

Strommer
13-04-2007, 08:21 AM
I am not at my computer as I am away but seach for the AUSLOGIC 3rd party defragmenter

It is quite good and may work.

Yes, it is a very good - and free - defragger. Much better than Windows defragger. Download here:
http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/

Strommer
13-04-2007, 08:26 AM
A real rough way of doing it is to turn everything off except explorer and systray in your task manager, then try to run it. Then, if it works, after it has finished reboot, and that way you get your programs back. Not really to be recommended, but it is how I have done it before now.

This is what I do all the time. Press Ctrl Alt Del to go into Task Manager. But if you are not confident with computers, you may not want to try this.

I suggest that you go to the bottom right System Tray and right click all icons to Exit or Shut Down all running programs. Of course be sure you are not connected to the Internet before you disable the antivirus, etc.

Using the free Auslogics defragger should work without shutting down programs but it is still best to run any defragger with everything closed.

jen12
13-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Great, thanks Steve. Am downloading Auslogics defrag now. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! This forum is great.

Leendert
12-06-2007, 05:44 PM
How did it go Jen12 ? I have the same problem but do not wish to download another defrag program. I have been using "Diskeeper" for ages and it has always worked just fine till about 14 days ago.

000freespirit000
20-06-2007, 03:31 AM
Hey everyone
I've recently drefragmented my computor but now whenever I go on my 'rollercoaster tycoon 3' game it never loads up properly. It keeps crashing. Do any of you know what's wrong and what i should do to get it working again?

georgeks
20-06-2007, 04:20 PM
I' d say that an instruction to run Chkdsk is somehow in the MBR of your drive. Run Gdisk-or something similar- to re-initialize MBR. Can also do it from the Recovery Console...

000freespirit000
21-06-2007, 04:09 AM
I' d say that an instruction to run Chkdsk is somehow in the MBR of your drive. Run Gdisk-or something similar- to re-initialize MBR. Can also do it from the Recovery Console...

How do I run Gdisk?

LiquidSolidity
21-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could please help with my dilemma. Im not a big computer whizz but have some idea...Anyway, I am trying to Defrag my computer as it is soooooo slow. However when I try this it comes up with the message...
"Disk Defrag. has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume (C:) Please run Chkdsk/f

So I tried chkdsk and it came up with this message...

Any suggestions?? any?? Im trying to avoid taking it to a repair shop. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jen

Jen, go to "run" and type msconfig. Now go to the Boot.ini tab and tick the /safeboot box. Now reboot and your problem should be solved. P.S. I had this same problem a while back and this seemed to work. I hope I am remembering correctly how I fixed it :)

000freespirit000
01-07-2007, 10:40 PM
How do I run Gdisk?

Does anyone know how to run Gdisk? Is there anywhere that I can download it from?

PaulD
01-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know how to run Gdisk? Is there anywhere that I can download it from?

It's part of Norton Ghost.

I don't think georgeks' post referring to GDisk was meant as an answer to your problem.

linw
02-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Please, folks, stop wasting everyone's time by banging on with the 'defrag is the magic answer to everything' response. Defrag is never the answer to really slow computing. Start with the thread originator's problem rather than her attempted diagnosis and work from there.

Jen, you need to make sure your computer is not infected with nasties. Then you need to check that you have not run out of disk space. Dbl click My Computer and look for free space on drive C:. Then you should run chkdsk /f to get the file system checked for errors and corrected. But the most usual reason for a big slow down is that your computer is running about 10-12 programs at startup that are not necessary.

But if chkdsk /f fails to run at reboot, try chkdsk /x instead.

Run msconfig to check what programs are running at startup. It is hard to tell you which ones to safely stop, though. Maybe Speedy can help out with a Hijack This analysis. This will check for nasties as well.

It would also help to say what your computer specs are and what operating system.