PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive allocation?

sarel
12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi guys

Tried to install a gifted Welland Storage unit last night. Everything's there, but it does not show up as on eof my drives. Realised that there is no spare drives available, all taken up by the extras on the PC. My questions:
the "xtra" drives (e thru I) are taken up by a system of flash card readers, camera chip readers, etc. Obviously I need to disable one of these but how do you see which drive letter is connected to which reader?
Once you know that, how do you disable that reader then?
Or can you just add another drive onto the system? (I've got the feeling I can't)

I did check the HP website and did get some help, but not what I'm looking for.

Compaq Presario SR1915AN, 1GB ram, 1.8, WinXP

Thanks guys

sarel

PaulD
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
How many drives have you got? What's on J thru Z?

pctek
12-04-2007, 09:32 AM
You can have up to Z, doubt you have that many devices connected.

Have you formatted this drive?

sarel
12-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Remember you're talking to a stupid noob here.

Nothing through to Z

Formatted, yes. It has been the working drive of my previous PC (I blew the Mobo of the previous one).

How do you "make" more drives on XP?

sarel

SolMiester
12-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Right click my computer>manage>disk management, do you see the un assigned drive there?

sarel
12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
No - will do it later (when home) and get back to you.

Sarel

sarel
12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
OK, I checked it and it shows Disks 0 (Drive C: and D:), 1 (Dr I), 2 (Dr G), 3 (Dr H), 4 (Dr I) - 4 and the CD-Rom (Drive E).

I see no unassigned drive anywhere.

sarel

SolMiester
12-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Does the device manager recognize the new drive?, does the properties page have any issues with the drive?

SurferJoe46
12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Maybe Sarel doesn't know where the device manager is...

Go to My Computer, right click and then "Manage"...then go to Disk Management...let it populate and see what you have. The colors give it all away.

You'll see all your drives and the condition they are in too.

You have right click commands here to format, re-assign letters and pathways etc...use with care.

oops...looks like I was a LITTLE late with this post...sorry!

sarel
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys - will try that tonight

Solmeister - I haven't yet assigned any "open" new drive letters so nothing is showing up as open. I think I need to tell the system to do that - and I've searched for the "How to ....." on the MS website so i think I will be sweet. Will report back after I get home (and hope I don't f^&* up the PC)

sarel

sarel
12-04-2007, 09:21 PM
No issues, I even have a button on the bottom bar "Safely Remove Harware" and if I open this it says "usb mass storage device at Location 0". Can't see it when I open my computer - see this link (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Sarel.JPG)

sarel

sarel
13-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Anybody ? Heeeeeeelp?

sarel

Dannz
13-04-2007, 07:04 PM
if you cant see it in my computer, than means that its not assigned a drive letter.

Either that or its not formatted/paritioned

godfather
13-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Perhaps you should give a little more info, on just how the "Wellans Storage Unit" connects with the PC.

The terminology in the name suggests its a network storage device that connects via ethernet. But the assumptions above are that it connects via USB.

Which is the correct assumption Sarel?

Also what is the drive jumpered as, master or slave? If USB connected many external case adapters require the drive to be Master.

sarel
13-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Perhaps you should give a little more info, on just how the "Wellans Storage Unit" connects with the PC.

The terminology in the name suggests its a network storage device that connects via ethernet. But the assumptions above are that it connects via USB .
It connects via USB 2.0 or a Port 1394 connection and I've got both on the PC

Which is the correct assumption Sarel?

Also what is the drive jumpered as, master or slave? If USB connected many external case adapters require the drive to be Master.
I checked it - it should be jumpered as slave, but by golly, Goddie, you just solved it (I think). Have to check it out. The drive I connected was my old PC's only HD, and of course jumpered as Master - and I did not change the jumpers, I just connected it - stupid me. So I'll do that and report back.

sarel

sarel
13-04-2007, 09:25 PM
No Goddie, that wasn't it. It was actually jumpered to slave (I forgot I did it previously) so I jumpered it to Master and still the same problem. I checked the "Safely Remove hardware" again - still the same but this one is nowhere - see here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Safely_remove.JPG). It does no appear as if there is a drive letter extra that this one can occupy (I've got 5 generic drive letters for memory stick, usb port, compact flash, etc (on front of PC). B*gger, I don't know.

sarel

sarel
13-04-2007, 09:30 PM
And this is the view (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DiskMan.JPG)of Disk Management

sarel

godfather
13-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Was the Welland unit "gifted" because it was stuffed?

You have got an external power source on the Welland unit?

sarel
14-04-2007, 10:21 AM
No Goddie, it was actually new - still with plastic wrapping

I don't think the power is the problem - external power unit - similar to my wife's lappie's power unit.

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
14-04-2007, 11:08 AM
If u reboot with this unit plugged in, then go into the BIOS.

1. Does the BIOS see this hdd under the hdd entry? Or does it appear anywhere in the BIOS?

2. Does the name of this unit appear on the post screen?

To slow it down what shows on the post screen, press the pause key.

And does this system support external USB 2 devices (like booting from them)?

sarel
15-04-2007, 07:53 AM
USB 2 - yes. On the box is says USB 1.1, USB 2.0, FireWire, ATA, Mac, Windows. If you go to the website : http://www.welland.com.tw/html/enclosure/740.html you will see the model I've got. Bios - I don't think it's supposed to be there - you are supposed to start your PC normally and then connect it to a running PC. It is supposed to be "sensed" automatically (P & P).

Bios - checked it just now, zip.

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Hmm if it is turned on, the BIOS and the post screen (I would say) should show it (show the name of the device on the screen).

To tell u (that the system has detected it).

Like on this PC, if I leave the digital cam (which is only USB 1.1) connected or the Ipod, it scans the USB ports on bootup, tells/shows me they've been detected and tells me what they are (digital camera, and Ipod), on the screen.

Your system isnt picking this unit up at all is it?? Since its not in disk management, you cant select it, so u cant give it a letter?

PaulD
15-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Have you tried unplugging the other card readers etc and seeing what happens then when you plug the Wellands unit in?

sarel
15-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Guys

I have to apologise very deeply. Tried to run it on the wife's lappie - no success. Tried an older (one that I thought was broken) drive - Yes!!!!. Looked at the drive that I tried to run - saw one of the pins at the back bent. Fixed it - and voila, it runs. Installs itself automatically, no need for any driver installation.

The end result - now I've got TWO older drives as backups (1 x 80GB, 1 x 60GB) - jeez, and I only wanted to recover some of the wife's files from the HD (which we did and SHE IS VERY HAPPY (for the first time this year) because she got back some serious arty farty files. Mission accomplished but this dumb*ss should have checked basic things like this. (I told you guys I am a total stupid noob when it comes to hardware - and I've just proven it again)

Thanks for all the help guys

sarel

sarel
15-04-2007, 03:14 PM
And, because SHE IS VERY HAPPY and it's also our wedding anniversary, one might say one may get lucky at one time.

LOL

sarel

SurferJoe46
16-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Guys

I have to apologise very deeply. Tried to run it on the wife's lappie - no success. Tried an older (one that I thought was broken) drive - Yes!!!!. Looked at the drive that I tried to run - saw one of the pins at the back bent. Fixed it - and voila, it runs. Installs itself automatically, no need for any driver installation.

The end result - now I've got TWO older drives as backups (1 x 80GB, 1 x 60GB) - jeez, and I only wanted to recover some of the wife's files from the HD (which we did and SHE IS VERY HAPPY (for the first time this year) because she got back some serious arty farty files. Mission accomplished but this dumb*ss should have checked basic things like this. (I told you guys I am a total stupid noob when it comes to hardware - and I've just proven it again)

Thanks for all the help guys

sarel

Actually, I think anyone who spots a bent pin is no longer considered a n00b and is elevated to "Tech, First Class" by even noticing it.

Congrats..it's usually the last place you look that turns out to be where the problem is! Next time, just go to the last place, first. ;)