PDA

View Full Version : standalone firewall for home

dirtbag
11-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I am thinking of setting up a standalone box to act as firewall for my home connection, for the bit of extra security but mainly to do some traffic shaping.
Some other members of the family paralyze the internet by using p2p, limewire and torrents, usually the pings are around 280-350 international, but when they crank out some p2p they can sometimes shoot as high as 2000-3000. I play online games and use voip occasionally, but obviously can never play it whilst any p2ps going on.

I have run smoothwall before, and am currently looking at some others like monowall, pfsense etc. Has anyone had any experiences with any of these they could share be it good/bad?

Also, is there any way I can just kill p2p in its tracks when I need to? Sure blocking ports can work, but that only stops outgoing connections, so they can still download, and still be connected to 30/40 peers clogging up the connection. Is there a way to just block traffic by protocol, and do programs like limewire/utorrent implement tags that can be blocked? I can imagine them being sly about it, as a way to get around ISP traffic shaping.

Any help would be much appreciated!

drcspy
11-04-2007, 12:19 PM
simple really .....get em to install their own phone line and connection.......

dirtbag
11-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Yea, i wish it was that simple, but there age would be a hurdle to sign any legal contracts

pctek
11-04-2007, 01:30 PM
How about passwording the PC so they can't get on it in the first place without you logging them in?
Or trying a bit of discipline?
Amazingly complicated idea just to keep them from downloading stuff, especially when its probably theft anyway.

dirtbag
11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
passwording a PC that is not mine? And i doubt my brother will take lightly to me trying to discipline him by telling him not to download stuff...
So yea, complicated it is, no sarcasm

Erayd
11-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Either m0n0wall or pfSense will quite happily do exactly what you want. pfSense has more features, but requires more grunt to run.

tweak'e
11-04-2007, 05:54 PM
sounds like what you need is proxy software. some proxies can limit bandwidth per user.