PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Application

heaton
10-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Using windows XP home edition installed in Packard Bell ex Harvey Norman some four years ago and kept up with all the updates etc.
Using AVG virus protection and Comodo and Windows firewalls.
Problem: This morning got a message from Microsoft or so it said it was Microsoft, requiring me to download something to do with verifying my installation of windows XP. Went ahead and downloaded it without thinking too much. Now have a program called LEGICHECK in my computer; properties describing it as a HTML Application. My Comodo firewall is blocking it from accessing the internet at the moment and I am leaving it that way until I find out a bit more about it. Anybody got the same thing and am I being too paranoic ?

Shortcircuit
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
It seems to be a genuine Msoft thing if it's 'legitcheck' and not 'legicheck' (yep- there is a difference!).

have a look at this blurb here:

http://ask-leo.com/whats_this_validation_scan_all_about.html

PS If it's Msoft usual spyware I'd leave it blocked by my firewall if I were you.

Greg
11-04-2007, 08:55 AM
am I being too paranoic ?I never heard of Microsoft contacting customers directly. Sounds highly suspicious to me, and you'd be best to delete it.

drcspy
11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
This morning got a message from Microsoft or so it said it was Microsoft, requiring me to download something in what fashion did the message arrive ?......a box on screen, an email, a what ?.....please describe it exactly if you can

Agent_24
11-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Even if it's the genuine legit WGA (windows genuine advantage) tool, I still wouldn't let it connect.

I downloaded it to be elegible for validation, and updates along with some other extras and even after the website had validated my XP, it still wanted connecting so I blocked it.

Microsoft doesn't need their WGA to connect to them, what was it, every two weeks or something? for all we know it's some advanced spy system in disguise... well it can get stuffed.

heaton
11-04-2007, 02:08 PM
This morning got a message from Microsoft or so it said it was Microsoft, requiring me to download something in what fashion did the message arrive ?......a box on screen, an email, a what ?.....please describe it exactly if you can
Sorry I should have written it all down but at the time I thought it was a genuine microsoft thing and went ahead and downloaded the application.
I will now delete it from my computer. Thanks all.