PDA

View Full Version : PC World Reviews Editor buys a Mac

Chris Keall
10-04-2007, 08:45 AM
OK, it's actually for his wife, but still ... will he be seduced by the Jobs Side, or actually find setup really, really annoying and - whisper it - Windows-like?

Answers here (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/blogs).

Jen
10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Crikey - did someone /. the blog or did a global email go out to all the NZ Mac users about the blog article :rolleyes: . Never seen so many comments posted in so shorter time. :D

Seriously, if I had the choice between and Mac and a Windows equally spec'd laptop for the same price, I would go for the Mac. :)

Rob99
10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Crikey - did someone /. the blog or did a global email go out to all the NZ Mac users about the blog article :rolleyes: . Never seen so many comments posted in so shorter time. :DI was just thinking the same.
Those mac heads should give vista a go, I had to do nothing other than offer the computer an ethernet cable to be connected.
Virus/spyware... I have installed nothing as yet, and wont untill my computer comes to a stand-still, been going about a week now.
The only anoying thing is the popups, but these are only when installing an application, I hear these can be switched off but havent looked into that yet.

Scott Bartley
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I love my new Mac. I really do. But I'm sad that all my Mac owning peers have been so quick to turn on "one of their own" because I dared point out how similar the start up routine of a new Mac is to a new Windows XP machine.

So sad :(

beeswax34
10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Oh My God, did an angel somewhere just die??? Or maybe just a little part of Bill Gates.

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 04:21 PM
OK, it's actually for his wife, but still ... will he be seduced by the Jobs Side, or actually find setup really, really annoying and - whisper it - Windows-like?

Answers here (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/blogs).

Welcome to the Mac fold Chris and Mrs Keall. :) Won't be long now Chris.

Biggles
10-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Crikey - did someone /. the blog or did a global email go out to all the NZ Mac users about the blog article :rolleyes: . Never seen so many comments posted in so shorter time. :D

Seriously, if I had the choice between and Mac and a Windows equally spec'd laptop for the same price, I would go for the Mac. :)

Me too. Only my investment in some Windows software would hold me back.

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Me too. Only my investment in some Windows software would hold me back.

Parallels.

Metla
10-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Sounds like a nice little computer, What did it cost?

Metla
10-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Righto

$ 4749.00

That should have taken pride of place in the "review"

Still, I supoose money is like Jam up there in high society auckland.

If you had bought a Windows notebook with those specs you would have had enough left over for a week in Fiji....

Shortcircuit
10-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Righto

$ 4749.00

That should have taken pride of place in the "review"

Still, I supoose money is like Jam up there in high society auckland.

If you had bought a Windows notebook with those specs you would have had enough left over for a week in Fiji....

Bejeezuz- you spent that on a Mac for the missus? :eek:

I have to say it- I have absolutely no respect for anyone who blows that amount of money on a hunk of plastic... even if they do live in Auckland... actually even less if they work for a computer mag.

I swear the world has gone mad since Metla joked about his 'buy' :horrified

Well hey, I hope they gave you a damn good discount !

Metla
10-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Im sure they did, to, You know, get the editor of PC World talking about his new Mac just as the Vista bubble is shrinking.

Of course, I'd be happy to be told Im wrong.

Jen
10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I have to say it- I have absolutely no respect for anyone who blows that amount of money on a hunk of plastic... even if they do live in Auckland... actually even less if they work for a computer mag. More likely it is a business purchase (check out Mrs Bartley's occupation), so tax deductable ... ;)

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
So Mrs Keall went for the 2.33ghz MacBook Pro. Pity she didn't buy it in the US, they are only US$2499 state side. Unfortunately the 15 inch jumped a lot in price after the last revision. The 17" used to be the cheapest of all 17" laptops at about 4,500 NZ although it couldn't run 3 different systems.

Shortcircuit
10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
More likely it is a business purchase (check out Mrs Bartley's occupation), so tax deductable ... ;)

Cool, I'll have one then and be... cool :D

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Cool, I'll have one then and be... cool :D

Get a day job as a software developer and you could charge it as a work related expense, and be cool at the same time. ;)

Shortcircuit
10-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Get a day job as a software developer and you could charge it as a work related expense, and be cool at the same time. ;)

Actually there's no problem affording one even without being subsidised by IRD... I just wouldn't be stupid enough to buy one.

Biggles
10-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Im sure they did, to, You know, get the editor of PC World talking about his new Mac just as the Vista bubble is shrinking.

Of course, I'd be happy to be told Im wrong.

1] The editor of PC World does not have a Mac. Nor does his wife.

2] You guys are wose conspiracy theorists than the Mac fanboys (and that's saying something).

Shortcircuit
10-04-2007, 09:58 PM

2] You guys are wose conspiracy theorists than the Mac fanboys (and that's saying something).

So I can adjust the gyros to stop me spinning outa control and all is good with the world again?

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Actually there's no problem affording one even without being subsidised by IRD... I just wouldn't be stupid enough to buy one.

:confused: Aside from the price why is it stupid?

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 10:00 PM
According to the first post here.....

Metla
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM

Luckily Im not concerned with the little details.........Muhahahahaha.:thumbs:

Biggles
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
According to the first post here.....

And the thread title is ....

"PC World Reviews Editor buys a Mac"

That's Scott, not Chris. Which why Chris then says "his" not "my" wife.

And why 4 posts in Scott says "I love my new Mac. I really do. But I'm sad that all my Mac owning peers have been so quick to turn on "one of their own" because I dared point out how similar the start up routine of a new Mac is to a new Windows XP machine."

Simple when you try, really.

Shortcircuit
10-04-2007, 10:06 PM
:confused: Aside from the price why is it stupid?

I'm not a fan of paying too much for anything just for the w**k factor.

End of story and I am not going to enter into ANY debate about it.

Metla
10-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, To be fair the w**k factor was only about $2000

Hope it came with those bling hubcaps for the car that keep on spinning at giveways.And maybe some spray on mud for the Urban 4wd.

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
And the thread title is ....

"PC World Reviews Editor buys a Mac"

That's Scott, not Chris. Which why Chris then says "his" not "my" wife.

And why 4 posts in Scott says "I love my new Mac. I really do. But I'm sad that all my Mac owning peers have been so quick to turn on "one of their own" because I dared point out how similar the start up routine of a new Mac is to a new Windows XP machine."

Simple when you try, really.

Fair enough and well spotted.:)

Biggles
10-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, To be fair the w**k factor was only about $2000

Hope it came with those bling hubcaps for the car that keep on spinning at giveways.And maybe some spray on mud for the Urban 4wd.

Metla, you the Anti-Fanboy. I'd hate to see what would happen if you were brought into contact with a Mac Fanboy - the resulting explosion could destroy the very fabric of the universe.

Metla
10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I'd trap the fanboy in a glass case and let normal people poke him with a stick.

Did I ever mention AMD make the only cpu's worth buying?

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not a fan of paying too much for anything just for the w**k factor.

End of story and I am not going to enter into ANY debate about it.

I would have said smug factor myself since most people (generally women from what I have seen) that drive "Remuera tractors" aka SUVs are completely crap at driving them in snow or mud where they are supposedly suited and it just comes down to the one up man ship of owning an SUV that brings out the "w**k factor" which is different to the feeling you get from being a Mac user to using Windows.

Metla
10-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I would have said smug factor myself since most people (generally women from what I have seen) that drive "Remuera tractors" aka SUVs are completely crap at driving them in snow or mud where they are supposedly suited and it just comes down to the one up man ship of owning an SUV that brings out the "w**k factor" which is different to the feeling you get from being a Mac user to using Windows.

:eek:

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Badly worded post although I don't own or drive an SUV.

Metla
10-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Or a Mac.

winmacguy
10-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately the dictionary definition of smug doesn't currently do any favours.

Scott Bartley
10-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Bejeezuz- you spent that on a Mac for the missus? :eek:

I have to say it- I have absolutely no respect for anyone who blows that amount of money on a hunk of plastic... even if they do live in Auckland... actually even less if they work for a computer mag.

I swear the world has gone mad since Metla joked about his 'buy' :horrified

Well hey, I hope they gave you a damn good discount !

This is what I love about the internet. People jump to all sorts of conclusions while knowing only a fraction of the facts before going on to outright insult me on top of it.

You're worse than all those over sensitive Mac types that responded to (and completely missed the point of) my blog post.

Metla
10-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Haar-HA

plod
10-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Metla, you the Anti-Fanboy. I'd hate to see what would happen if you were brought into contact with a Mac Fanboy - the resulting explosion could destroy the very fabric of the universe.

Metla has actually told me to pop in next time i'm in the area on the bike. but now i see he has an alternate motive for me:D

plod
10-04-2007, 11:36 PM
This is what I love about the internet. People jump to all sorts of conclusions while knowing only a fraction of the facts before going on to outright insult me on top of it.

You're worse than all those over sensitive Mac types that responded to (and completely missed the point of) my blog post.

i have to say your whole blog on the mac was pretty **** really

stu161204
11-04-2007, 12:18 AM
i have to say your whole blog on the mac was pretty **** really

Be careful to what you say about Scott Bartley Blog as we may not see you here for a few hours...... (Scott is a Mod you know ;) )

:p :p :D

Greg
11-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Found it quite funny to read the petty comments by the Mac fanboys. The article/blog was great. :thumbs:

Shortcircuit
11-04-2007, 08:14 AM

Don't know what confusion I was jumping to... it seemed pretty straight forward to me. :confused:

Damn, there goes all hope of getting a job at PC World :(

plod
11-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Be careful to what you say about Scott Bartley Blog as we may not see you here for a few hours...... (Scott is a Mod you know ;) )

:p :p :D

Never seen mod next to Scott's or Chris's names. To be honest i consider them spamers out to promote there own stuff. And a total breach of rule 7

MOD EDIT: The word spammers has two M's. Thanks for your time.

- Scott

7) No commercial posting, spamming, or otherwise using the forum to promote products and services purely for your own gain. This doesn't stop you recommending products and services to other users, nor does it stop a vendor discussing their products in relation to a post. But users who post purely to promote their business/website may find their threads deleted along with their user ID.

The only post they ever make are to promote their own blogs and a business website:cool:

Biggles
11-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Oh, we had such a laugh in the office at this one. Really, the tears were running down our eyes. And who says NZ comedy is dead.

plod
11-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Oh, we had such a laugh in the office at this one. Really, the tears were running down our eyes. And who says NZ comedy is dead.

Well I'm pleased i made your day. This is purely a reflection on having to look after 7 children during school holidays.
and scott sorry for the spelling mistakes.