PDA

View Full Version : Screen black after turning on PC..HELP!

blaXoid
09-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi guys,

My PC has stopped booting. Basically I turn on the PC and the screen stays blank, ie the Screen receives no signal. The num-lock on the keyboard also can't be turned on, but the keyboard flashes when I plug it in. USB and LAN also work. The CD-Rom also reads & functions. I currently use on board graphics as the display.

I have done the following things so far to try and fix it and none have worked:

Removed all peripherals (HDDs, RAM & PCI cards) and tried to start it.
Removed BIOS battery for 24+ hours to reset BIOS.
Tried inserting AGP card and using as display.
Removed PSU and tried a 400W working one.
Listened for Motherboard Beeps from PC speaker and External speakers, but nothing.

Unfortunately I have now hit a dead end. I assume the Motherboard is simply done for. Does anyone else have any other tips I could try?

Also,I know that the CPU is a Celeron 1.6-2.0(rough estimate), so is it fine to simply purchase a different Socket 478 board and use that if it is the motherboard thats broken?

Thanks for any help:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
09-04-2007, 09:59 PM
You'll be lucky if youre in NZ to find another 478 pin mobo.

Theyre pretty much obselete. There maybe a few but not many around.

Only thing I can think of, is one of the power connectors werent in properly.

Did u remove the BIOS jumper? Or just remove the battery??

On some mobos if u remove the jumper as well, and forget to put it back, the system wont boot either.

You can get another 478 pin mobo, but check what the FSB is on that Celeron.

ie: And the mobo if u have to buy another one, supports the FSB of the CPU.

What are the hdd's?? IDE or SATA?

Does the CPU fan spin, or do any fans spin, when u turn it on??

radium
09-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Check out Trade Me if your after another socket 478 Mobo, there normally quite a few on there.

blaXoid
10-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I only removed the battery, I have no idea where the BIOS jumper is due to not having a manual.

All fans spin, the HDD is IDE.

Thanks for the advice regarding the FSB. I'm really kinda walking in the dark here though because I no longer have the manual for the PC so I have no way to tell how fast it is and what FSB it is.

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Are u in NZ?? If so, are u in Auckland?

drcspy
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_6.html#g10

478 pin boards are definitely available still ......new....

dugimodo
10-04-2007, 12:47 PM
could also be the cpu that's died

don't spend too much on a 478 MB, remember you can buy a sempron CPU & MB for less than $170 brand new quite easily, although depending on your existing RAM you may need to update that as well.

Sempron may be the bottom of the AMD barrel, but they are still good CPUs and compare favourably with celerons. At pp.co.nz a 2600+ = $76

Bios jumper is usually located near the battery, often has 3 pins with the normal position just 'parking' the link. Shifting it momentarily to the other position resets the bios. If you get the wrong link and move it back and forth you won't hurt anything.

Or you could get carried away and build a new machine - that's my usual solution :)

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
You can have the CPU/mobo here.

Only thing is, its only 400fsb, uses SD ram not DDR and it doesnt have any ram on it. And doesnt have USB 2, unless u get a PCI USB2 card for it.

Only good thing about it,is it uses speech to tell u the status on bootup / when u turn it on. Besides that, its ready for the bin.

lazydog
10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
If blaxoid isn't into it them i could be. My grandkids P3 has just died. Most of the parts should swap over.

Let me know if its still available.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Well some parts like PCI cards will work, if the P3 has PCI slots.

And the hdd's/cd's.

The ram may not, if the P3 uses SD ram. And u cant use the CPU, since it wont fit.

blaXoid
10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help, I will give the jumper reset a go tonight, and if that doesn't work, then I'm gonna try get something off trademe.

Thanks for your offer speedy, but I do want something that is kind of recent :) Feel free to pass it on to the other guy here.