PDA

View Full Version : DLINK DSL G604T Bad ADSL???

callum_62
08-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi,

I just bought the above modem/router yesterday.

Set it all up I thought ok. Connected from router to com by ethernet and adsl to phone line.

The wireless part seems to work ok as ive connected other devices fine when I tried yesterday.

Thing ive just noticed though, is my desktop internet (through ethernet) is very 'buggy'.

at the mo its fine and normal speed, but it always seems to drop out with the connection (i usually have to close IE window and reopen).

Also strange, I tried to dload a 18mb file yesterday, which was going fine, then it just stopped at halfway through. The 'file transfer' pic was still going but the amount dowloaded & time left section stayed stationary. had to cancel the download eventually.

Any ideas how to correct this?? so annoying, as even listening to radio station is pretty impossible, as the connection aslways drops out!

ISP is IHUG, com is Acer, Win XP (SP 2), 512mb ram.

Thanks

bk T
08-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Check your wiring connections, make sure that all your telephones, fax machines etc are connected through a line filter. Do you have alarm system connected to the phone line?

callum_62
08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
thanks for advice.

no alarm for me.

I do have a line filter that came with my old adsl modem.

however, the connections are different, the one for phone is obviously the standard phone plug, but one for adsl is the same as your adsl connection port on the router side.

the cable that came with the router is actually the same connection as a standard phone cable so it doesnt fit into my old splitter.

I still used the old line filter and also used my old modem line to connect to router/filter.

could this be the problem?

bk T
08-04-2007, 01:32 PM
thanks for advice.

no alarm for me.

I do have a line filter that came with my old adsl modem.

however, the connections are different, the one for phone is obviously the standard phone plug, but one for adsl is the same as your adsl connection port on the router side.

the cable that came with the router is actually the same connection as a standard phone cable so it doesnt fit into my old splitter.

I still used the old line filter and also used my old modem line to connect to router/filter.

could this be the problem?

It doesn't matter whether you're using old or new filters, as long as it is connected correctly.

You may connect your DLink G604T directly to the wall phone socket outlet, it need not go through the line filter. However, all your other equipments like telephone, fax machines, etc have to be connected through a line filter.

callum_62
08-04-2007, 01:40 PM
maybe im not understanding correctly.

heres my set up at the mo (ive actually unplugged my phone), but heres what it was:

router connected to ethernet on desktop --> adsl line coming from router to the 'phone' part of adsl line filter (10MF-NZ).

Phone not in. Reason router is connected to 'phone' is that it wont fit into the adsl part of my line filter. this is the wrong port to fit the wire that was included in the router box (RJ-11 cable came with router).

how do I overcome this? I could do it by using my old modem cable as this has the same connection on both ends as the routers adsl port. Howver, this makes the connection even worse!

callum_62
08-04-2007, 01:44 PM
EDIT - just tried something, lol, maybe i ws being dumb!

Jack has double adapor in it....plugged router straight into one of the spaces.....adsl line filter into other, phone then into the 'phone' slot in adsl filter. this leaves the adsl part in the filter empty, but this should be ok, right?? :lol:

bk T
08-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Try this:

1. Unplug ALL your equipments connected to your phone line.
2. Plug in the phone line came with the Router one end to the ADSL socket and the other end to the wall phone socket outlet.

Turn on your Router and your computer.

Does it work?

callum_62
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM
yes it does, but it still freezes, and randomly disconnect??

faulty router?

bk T
08-04-2007, 09:34 PM
yes it does, but it still freezes, and randomly disconnect??

faulty router?

Have you asked Telecom to check your phone line?

It's too early to say that it's a faulty router.

callum_62
08-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Have you asked Telecom to check your phone line?

It's too early to say that it's a faulty router.

no, ive not as yet. surely the same wouldve happened when I used my old adsl modem though? actually switched to that now and working fine as we speak!

strange, I was using a P2P earlier to download some stuff with the router. I have 3 or 4 files at once and i could see they were downloading at 100Kbps total or so....then after a while i started to drop 90...80...70...60 all the way to 0!!

they then restarted to download maybe a minute later.

Would I ask Telecom to check the lines, or my ISP (IHUG)