PDA

View Full Version : Northbridge cooling

Faded_Mantis
08-04-2007, 02:26 AM
I have a query.

I've been looking to change my stock northbridge heatsink and fan for a fanless set up, There are 4 possible products that I've found.

3 are like this (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=117199). They are small cheap ($22) passivly cooled units.

And 1 is like this (http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=348285). It's a larger more expensive ($43) setup.

The northbridge is on an MSI K8N Neo3 (nForce 4-4X). Would the cheaper ones be good enough to cool it to acceptable levels?

I also think I have a bios problem, as sandra says my northbridge temp sits in the 70's (celcius) and spikes to 90C occasionally (even when Idle) with the fan rotating at 7300rpm constantly. The computer has been running for close to a year, and I know that it has been giving those temps since christmas atleast.

I e-mailed MSI about this problem and they reccomended flashing my bios and seeing if it still gives those temps, and if so to contact accent about it. But I don't know how to flash the bios, and have heard that it can be dangerous.

bob_doe_nz
08-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Open your case and check the dust content in and on your CPU cooler.
Is there a lot of dust on it? If so that would contribute to the problem.

You also could consider replacing the CPU cooler for another one. That might help if you can afford it.

Faded_Mantis
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the CPU advice, but I'm talking about my Northbridge fan and heatsink, as mentioned several times above.

The northbridge heatsink is fairly dusty though, I've blown on it myself but I don't have any compressed air.

I have an air compressor down in the shed should I try it or is it to powerful? (2-3hp)

CPU heat sink is quite dust free, I can see a little bit, but it's just a bit of surface dust.

[EDIT]
I was mainly wanting to cut down on fan noise, oh the above heat sinks would the cheaper ones cool it well enough, ie. are they good enough for an nForce 4 chipset?

memphis
10-04-2007, 01:43 AM
I use a can of crc air brush which I buy from dse to clean my pc.(clean all your fans as well,as the case.)(stick a pencil between the fan blades to stop them spinning.)

I also have it on my desk and it gets way less dust etc.,then when I had it on the floor under the desk.

On which northbridge heatsink to buy check,on the manufactures website to see if it will work with your motherboard and if there will be any problems with the graphic card clearance.

OR

You could take the fan off the heatsink and get a 120mm fan blowing onto the heatsink,use cable ties and attach to case,blowing down onto the northbridge heatsink.

Also to help cut down noise have 120mm case fans,hooked up to a fan controller.

I would go for the $43 if there were no problems with the motherboard,or graphic card situation.

With the bios check to see what bios version you have and then go to the msi website find your motherboard and see if there is a updated bios version for your motherboard.

If your not sure about doing the bios,take it to a computer shop and get them to do it for you.
:cool: