PDA

View Full Version : System freeze on shutdown

17-02-2001, 09:22 PM
Hi, i am running win98.I have recently had some problems on shut down. The system gets to the 'windows is shutting down' screen then freezes. I have to manually turn off the power. The system will start up again but occasionally freezes after entering the password.
I also have a odbc conflict message coming up occasionally. Yhis message reads - C:/windows.000/system/odbcint.dll is a different version than odbcsetup.dll. You need to reinstall odbc components to ensure proper operation. is this the cause of my problem and how do I reinstall these components?. I would appreciate some assistance with this. Cheers Geoff G

18-02-2001, 12:00 AM
Hi Geoff,

your version of Win98 wouldn't be Windows 98 Second Edition by any chance? If it is, its POSSIBLE that your shutdown problem is a bug in that version. You can download the fix from Microsoft - click 'Windows Update' in the Start menu.

Concerning your ODBC problem, I'm ashamed to say, but I don't even know whether they are installed from Windows or Office! Ha ha.. Never mind, hopefully someone much wiser will reply to your call for help.

Good luck. Cheers.
Sharrea

18-02-2001, 05:52 PM
Hi Geoff

I also had this problem with Windows 98 SE. I posted a query at www.protonic.com on advice of somebody at pressF1 and protonic sent me this address. I downloaded and have never had another problem. Hope it works for you. http://www.microsoft.com/Windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp
Barbara