PDA

View Full Version : Changing from modem to wireless router??

callum_62
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi,
Im looking at setting up my wii online...and want to do this by using wireless router.

Im new to wireless so have some questions!

I currently have an adsl modem that connects directly by usb to my desktop, giving me Ihugs internet.

if I buy a wireless router, can the modem just be plugged into router and still work??

will my desktop be wireless compatible?? Acer Aspire SA80, or do I have to buy another thing too??

Im a bit confused about how to set this up actually!

Thanks

alopes
06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi there

I would suggest that you visit the following URL it will help you out.

http://www3.belkin.com/wizard/(S(vzzalh3n0kp5tyqqznakbfur))/netwiz/Default.aspx?cid=17

I use a Belkin PRE-N wireless router on my main computer. A second computer is connected to the router same router via wireless (Hardware needed) and so third ps that is a laptop is also connected to the same main computer as well (Hardare required)

Good luck & happy easter

callum_62
06-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks!

so basically, all i need is a wireless router in which i can connect my current adsl modem to. the wii will then pick up the wireless access point from the router.

I think.... lol

CYaBro
07-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Just double-check that your existing adsl modem also has an ethernet port on it and not just USB otherwise it won't connect to the router.

callum_62
07-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Bugger, only has 1 USB port.

Is there many wireless routers that accepts connections with USB to ADSL modems?

callum_62
07-04-2007, 11:09 AM
sorry.

woudnt this router do?

usb from adsl modem to router, ethernet from router to desktop??

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI

Pete O'Neil
07-04-2007, 12:00 PM
You wont be able to find a router that excepts USB, its time to upgrade to a new modem/router. Linksys make awesome gear so consider the WAG54g

w000t
07-04-2007, 12:55 PM
you could also just buy a modem/router combo which plugs into your computers ethernet port and sends out a wireless signal. This may be easier.

callum_62
07-04-2007, 06:05 PM
you could also just buy a modem/router combo which plugs into your computers ethernet port and sends out a wireless signal. This may be easier.

This is what I done woot. D Link DSL-G604T worked straight out the box.

easy as that! :cool: