PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice with that KB925902 update

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
That after they installed it you could get on the net, (but couldnt go anywhere), maybe with dialup??

I installed it yesterday. By last night. sites wouldnt load properly.

Then I noticed in Comodo's logs something about this protocol thing, was blocking things.

It wasnt until I went to the advanced / configure / misc tab in Comodo and unticked do protocol analysis, sites would load.

I rang Ihug 3 times yesterday and once today, they didnt know why, coz I was online I could connect, I just couldnt go anywhere!

And this do protocol analysis option whatever its meant to do also blocked windowsupdate from working, blocked email, and blocked programs from checking online for updates.

Its just strange that this do protocol analysis option has always been ticked prior to this KB 925902 update. And sites didnt have a prob loading.

After all of this, I decided to format last night (since I thought I was the prob, but now I know it was Comodo)! and sites still don't load if do protocol analysis was ticked. (Obviously this option is unticked now, coz I'm here)!

sal
06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Yep, it's widely regarded as a patch that causes alot (http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/04/04/windows-animated-cursor-security-patch-causes-headaches) of problems (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/82781). It's already come up at least (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=78157) twice (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=78167) here, and probably not the last time considering the cryptic error returned. Big problems for Microsoft atm.

JonB
06-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Speedy,
I installed KB 925902 yesterday without any problems and the "Do protocol analysis" option in my Comodo has always been, and still is, selected. My Comodo is Version 2.4.18.182, Database version: 3.0. It seems to perform as it should though I do have difficulty understanding some of the warnings!!
The only issue I have found recently is that Ad-Aware updates won't work...I get the message "Error retrieving update" every time. Not really a problem as I can get the latest updates from the net and install them manually. Don't know if this is a firewall issue or not.
JonB

Speedy Gonzales
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Hmm mine wasnt that bad, something just screwed up the firewall.

Sound wasnt affected as I dont have a Realtek HD card or sound.

Speedy Gonzales
07-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Well somehow, I think Ihug is the prob.

So if you're with Ihug and you're using Comodo, and you cant get anywhere (browse the net, receive emails or no programs will update).

Kill do protocol analysis in Comodo.

It looks like I'm not the only one having probs with this issue.

Another guy ( I think who is also on Ihug, had the same prob as me). And replied in the Comodo forum, with exactly the same symptoms/prob I had.

I dont think this MS update is the prob, its something Ihug have done recently (like last Wed/Thur). They've blocked something somewhere.

And if do protocol analysis is enabled/ticked in Comodo, you wont be doing anything or going anywhere!

Speedy Gonzales
07-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Speedy,
I installed KB 925902 yesterday without any problems and the "Do protocol analysis" option in my Comodo has always been, and still is, selected. My Comodo is Version 2.4.18.182, Database version: 3.0. It seems to perform as it should though I do have difficulty understanding some of the warnings!!
The only issue I have found recently is that Ad-Aware updates won't work...I get the message "Error retrieving update" every time. Not really a problem as I can get the latest updates from the net and install them manually. Don't know if this is a firewall issue or not.
JonB

That maybe why, do protocol analysis is ticked. Trojan remover wouldnt update here, rogueremover wouldnt either, when it was ticked.

I couldnt even get emails when it was ticked! And the shield for the XP updates has just come back from being AWOL lol. After I unticked do protocol analysis.

Try going to the Windowsupdate site (if you're on Ihug).

It'll bring up an error, which in other words means the firewall is misconfigured or you're using a proxy. It wont work unless do protocol analysis is unticked/disabled.

SolMiester
07-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Installed here, but no issues. I don't run any 3rd party firewalls though at the moment.

Speedy Gonzales
07-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Installed here, but no issues. I don't run any 3rd party firewalls though at the moment.

Yup this prob will only affect u if Comodo is installed and youre on Ihug.

From what I've seen so far. The main prob with the HD sound whatever it is hasnt affected me either, I'm not using an HD soundcard.