PDA

View Full Version : XP Install Not Responding

bk T
05-04-2007, 12:58 PM
This friend's pc is badly infected with virus/spywares, etc. So he decided to reformat and reinstall OS.

Booted with the OS install CD, copying files, etc .. everything went fine untill at the screen when we have to decide whether to delete the C: or not. Of course, we decided to reformat the C: partition. But somehow, the keyboad decides not to respond to us - whatever key we depress! Tried D (to delete) the partition, not responding, in fact, the keyboard is not responding any of the keys!

Changed to another keyboard known to be good from another working computer, the same thing happened. Changed to another spare keyboard, still the same.

At this point, can I suggest that the Motherboard is faulty? Or, something else?

Cheers

SolMiester
05-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Virus in the memory from load perhaps?

drcspy
05-04-2007, 02:56 PM
it shouldn't make a difference but are you using a usb keyboard ?

Bryan
05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
What OS are you using? Is the HDD FAT32 or NTFS?

Do you have a Bootdisk that might have FORMAT on it?

If you have the bootdisk you could try and format from it and then reinstall from the operating CD. If no Bootdisk, can you get another copy of the OS to a least format the HDD?

I think that somehow you have created a lock on the keyboard and I'm afraid I do not know anything about how to clear that.

bk T
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Sorry for the delays in replying.

Initially it was a USB keyboard and we thought it must be the culprit but swapping all other keyboards nothing changes. Have also reset the CMOS to default settings but to no avail.

Have also borrowed another XP Home install CD but same thing happened.