PDA

View Full Version : Looking for missing space on HDD

Bazman
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I've recently bought a new PC that came with a 250 GB HDD. Only thing is, I can only see 130 GB. I e-mailed the people I bought the PC from and their response was -

"The HDD is 250GB you have to do the format for the other part of the HDD, when you install the windows, you have to do the partition and I think the first partition is 130GB and have 120GB left to do the partition and format."

I didn't really understand that nor have I found out any way to format when Windows is installed. You can't format the HDD when ur running Win, so I don't get what they mean.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tukapa
04-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Follow this

Click start
click control panel
click performance and maintenance
click administrative tools
click computer management

click on disk management

Now you should be able to see the second partition which will be unformatted. Right click on it and choose format and wait til its finished. Once done you will be able to see the space in windows and will be able to use it.

HTH

(Presuming you are running XP of course)

pctek
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
And make sure you have SP2 installed or it won't see all the available space.

Bazman
05-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah, I'm running XP Pro.

I don't have any SP installed at the moment.

But thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

Tony.br
05-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Your question was answered very well. But before you do the changes

Goto the control panel and click on SYSTEM

Look at the description and if it does not mention SP2, then it is vital that you beg or borrow a SP2 disk because Microsoft are no longer sending Updates to SP1 or earlier users

Graham L
05-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Perhaps the lack of SP2 is the reason for only 130 GB being used in the initital installation by the vendor? ;)