PDA

View Full Version : phpBB ranks - can they be used to limit access

Morgenmuffel
04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
phpBB ranks - can they be used to limit access

I have a client who wants to have one Sub-forum that is specifically for users who have reached 100 posts, i can't figure out how to do this

I know how to limit access to specific forums using User groups, but I don't know if you can do the same thing with ranks

My current suggestion is that when someone reaches 100+ posts that she adds them to the group that has access to this particular sub-forum

If there is a way to automatically do this when someone reaches 100 posts, i haven't found it, and was hoping one of you kind chaps and chappettes might be able to help

Thanks

stu161204
06-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi Nigel :)

I don’t think you can do that with the default version of phpBB, I think you will need to install a mod/hack to do what you want to do.

Ask over at phpbb.com http://www.phpbb.com/ & see if anyone knows of any mods/hacks that can do that.

If you don’t have any luck with phpbb.com, post back here & I will do some digging of my own.

Greg
06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
phpBB ranks - can they be used to limit accessNope. But what you want can be achieved manually with Permissions.

Morgenmuffel
07-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Cheers guys

I had already checked out phpBB forum and came up with zilch, but last time i looked for something there i used kiwi terminology rather than yankee terminology and consequently didn't find anything

Anyway I have given the client instructions on how to do it manually and they seem to be happy with that

Any ideas what the new Skin on phpBB is?

stu161204
07-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Any ideas what the new Skin on phpBB is?

I think thatís going to be the new skin when phpBB 3 comes out.

Morgenmuffel
07-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I think thatís going to be the new skin when phpBB 3 comes out.

Dammit, i thought as much

phpBB 3 does look good if that is what they are using now
The layout of the User CP etc is much nicer than the existing one

Greg
07-04-2007, 11:35 PM
phpBB 3 does look good if that is what they are using nowYeah they are. Most folks seem to like it, except for the user info being on the right-hand-side.

Morgenmuffel
08-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Yeah they are. Most folks seem to like it, except for the user info being on the right-hand-side.

Yep that threw me a bit to start with, but like everything once you get used to it it becomes the norm, I actually think I prefer it this new way,

Bugger just noticed a lot of my old links to phpBB aren't working