PDA

View Full Version : Telstraclear Cable - Slow International Traffic (Wellington)

somebody
03-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Has anyone else on the Telstraclear Cable network in Wellington been experiencing very slow speeds during the evening (i.e from 7pm onwards)? I've been having this issue since about Wednesday of last week - speeds are so bad that it takes about 30sec + before a page begins to load. Domestic sites are not affected (still get about 3.5mbit domestically).

I gave up on calling their helpline today: "The current wait time is approximately 60 minutes. Please continue to hold to speak to a technician".

tweak'e
03-04-2007, 09:33 PM
been having that with just plain dialup on/off for the last month. now and then international just dies.

John H
03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Got that tonight on Telstra Clear adsl. Not with local pages; only overseas stuff. It is far worse than I remember with dial up. And their networkstatus page says 'no known problems'...

Blade2
04-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah it is rubbish at the moment. It is quite intermittent, hopefully just wait and see. Until now I have had generally good service from Telstra's cable, I hope this is not ongoing.

Blade2
04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Actually what is funniest is that Xtra/Yahoo is obviously hosted overseas so that is also effected. Telecom are such twats!

somebody
04-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I spent 59 minutes on hold this morning trying to "report a fault" to Telstraclear before I gave up.

Speeds seem to have returned to a much more acceptable level now.

Murray P
04-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Has been fine for me.

Pato
05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I have also been having intermittent trouble over the past week or so. I agree it is a waste of time trying to contact their help desk as always about an hours wait.

Murray P
05-04-2007, 02:36 PM
If you also take the Telly feed via cable, a little ruse I have found successful in contacting Telstra is to choose the TV services option when I phone. You need to be a bit quickish on your feet when explaining the fault, but when they bump you over to the internet help line you tend to get through within a few minutes. Total time, anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.

somebody
05-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks Murray - will give it a go sometime.

rogerp
05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Has anyone else on the Telstraclear Cable network in Wellington been experiencing very slow speeds during the evening (i.e from 7pm onwards)? I've been having this issue since about Wednesday of last week - speeds are so bad that it takes about 30sec + before a page begins to load. Domestic sites are not affected (still get about 3.5mbit domestically).

I gave up on calling their helpline today: "The current wait time is approximately 60 minutes. Please continue to hold to speak to a technician".

Thats the problem, there is no competition on the fibre optic cable network in Wellington, so you have to put up with telstras poor service when things go wrong with it. I wish other companies were able to connect to it, then we would have some real competition for real broadband in Wellington.

Murray P
05-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Thats the problem, there is no competition on the fibre optic cable network in Wellington, so you have to put up with telstras poor service when things go wrong with it. I wish other companies were able to connect to it, then we would have some real competition for real broadband in Wellington.

You would expect the competition to be the ADSL network. Although it, perhaps, it's not been the viable alternative in the past that we would have hoped, you still have the opportunity to up stakes and move to ADSL if the cable operator is not performing, and we have seen the competition in plans and pricing where the cable network is available.

One thing is consistent though, the poor performance of the after sales care, especially when it comes to acknowledgement of problems and action or assistance as appropriate.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the cable service as a product, it'd just be nice to have someone who wasn't a total shower of poo running the show.