PDA

View Full Version : Acronis cannot see hard drives

Misty
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Just going to do a differential backup and am getting the message that Acronis cannot see any hard drives. Explorer can see the C, D, E, F and G drives fine.

Have had a look at the Acronis program, site and forum but nothing so far seems to address this issue.

What can I do please ?
Misty :horrified :illogical

Codex
03-04-2007, 10:16 PM
can you see the drives in Disk Managment? under computermanagment? (if youre using xp pro)

Misty
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
can you see the drives in Disk Managment? under computermanagment? (if youre using xp pro)
Not using XP Pro unfortunately - just XP
Misty :(

Misty
04-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I have written as follows to Acronis Support -

Hi
I have version 9 of Acronis and it was happily working for quite a few months but on the latest occasion when I ran the program, I got the message that Acronis could not see the hard drives (ie C, D, F and G). Error number is E000101F4. I have restarted and rebooted the PC a number of times but the same thing happens. I have Windows XP as an operating system and it is fully up-to-date. C & D drives are partitions of C. F & G are partitions of an external hard drive.

It seems that one prime thing I could try is to uninstall Acronis and then re-instal. However that presumably means that I will lose images already created with no guarantee that this will work. Or is it a pretty sure bet please ? Then left with no comprehensive backup on my external hard drive (drives F and G).

I do not know whether it is relevant to mention, but just about the same time as this error occured it came to my attention that in Drive D (ie partition) there is a file of some sort called \c_winxp.GHO which takes up 10.90GB of space. Now I do not know what this is. I came across it when I was going to defrag the drive. As it occupies a large amount of space this means that I have only 7% of the drive free. Not enough to defrag. Could it be that this also causes a problem with Acronis ? Is it perhaps a secure zone that I have inadvertently created as I have not thought through or read much about taking any such action. If it is a secure zone, then can I just delete it using Explorer please ?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Please advise.
Kind regards

On doing a search of the error E00101F4, I was pointed to the Acronis forum and it appears that doing a re-instal may work.

When I did a search on the file \c_winxp.GHO, the only two search results were in Chinese (Mandarin). I translated both of these into English using Google (a first- quite exciting !! :) ). The results seem to indicate an image but the word "Ghost" is used. I do not think that Acronis use the term Ghost as that would cause confusion with the Symantec product of the same name - their main rival ! However I have never had Ghost on my machine. :cool:

In case Acronis say the latter is nothing to do with their product then I will still be left with a space problem and inability to defrag unless I do some serious deleting. Also I do not want to keep a file of 10.90GB on the hard drive when I do not know what it is. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :help: :help:
Misty

pctek
04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
error E00101F4,

However I have never had Ghost on my machine.

Neither have I, only its images. I boot Ghost off a floppy, you can't run Ghost from within the O/S you want to image anyway.
\

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=111933&highlight=E00101F4

Misty
13-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Being able to see the hard drives now as I downloaded an update to Acronis. Also managed to delete enough files that I was able to do a defrag.

Still very much want to identify what the mystery file of 10.90 GB is though. Any suggestions ?? Wish I could see it in Explorer !
Misty :confused:

Strommer
13-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Still very much want to identify what the mystery file of 10.90 GB is though. Any suggestions ?? Wish I could see it in Explorer !

Maybe it is System Volume Information. Do you have the option ticked to "reveal hidden files" (in Explorer, Folder Options)? I had a huuuge System Volume folder - cannot recall what I did to downsize or eliminate it - someone or Google will tell you if you can simply delete it.

Misty
15-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Maybe it is System Volume Information. Do you have the option ticked to "reveal hidden files" (in Explorer, Folder Options)? I had a huuuge System Volume folder - cannot recall what I did to downsize or eliminate it - someone or Google will tell you if you can simply delete it.
Hi Steve
Thanks for the suggestion - however am already "showing all hidden files and folders" :)
Misty

Any more suggestions please anyone ?? :help:

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2007, 09:26 AM
The system volume information folder is a system folder, (its for system restore, if u use it).

So you'll have to untick hide protected operating system files as well. To see it.

And to get into this you'll have to turn system restore off, and boot into safe mode and add yourself to the folder as Admin to see whats in it, if u want to delete whats in the folder.

And if u do use system restore, say byebye to the restore points, if u delete whats in this folder.

Misty
15-04-2007, 11:25 AM
So you'll have to untick hide protected operating system files as well. To see it.

And to get into this you'll have to turn system restore off, and boot into safe mode and add yourself to the folder as Admin to see whats in it, if u want to delete whats in the folder.

And if u do use system restore, say byebye to the restore points, if u delete whats in this folder.

Hi Speedy
I turned off system restore as I was comfortable with losing all system restore points. I then logged on to safe mode and used the role of Admin. However I still could not see this folder or file. This is even after unticking hide protected operating system files.

The system volume information folder is a system folder, (its for system restore, if u use it).

Do you think that this "\c_winxp.GHO" folder or file is definitely a system volume information folder ? (ie a system folder). Or was it just a possibility ? It is still there. :dogeye:

Jen
15-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Have you had your computer repaired at a computer shop? If you have never used Ghost (Symantec) then it is possible they did while repairing your computer. Is D drive your personal partition or one belonging to a recovery system?

Speedy Gonzales
15-04-2007, 11:40 AM
No I dont think that C:\WinXP.GHO folder is the system volume information folder.

Its called System Volume Information.

It does have something to do with Ghost or an Image file.

If u dont have ghost installed, I dont know where it came from.

I dont use anything like Ghost or True Image.

I just use a 50GB partition for most of my updates etc.

Misty
15-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Have you had your computer repaired at a computer shop? If you have never used Ghost (Symantec) then it is possible they did while repairing your computer. Is D drive your personal partition or one belonging to a recovery system?
Hi Jen
Yes, I did have my PC repaired recently at a computer shop. Not quite sure why they would use Ghost but it certainly seems that way. I use D Drive for all my data, such as photos, music, emails and correspondence. I do not use it for anything else. It is a partition of the only hard drive (along with C where Windows XP and programs reside).

The question now is how do I get rid of the big file please ? :illogical
Misty :)

pctek
15-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi Jen
Yes, I did have my PC repaired recently at a computer shop. Not quite sure why they would use Ghost
The question now is how do I get rid of the big file please ?

They probably did it as a precation in case they nneded to format.

Just delete it normally as you would any other file.

Misty
15-04-2007, 04:15 PM
They probably did it as a precation in case they nneded to format.

Just delete it normally as you would any other file.
Hey pctek
As I already said --- it does not show in Explorer !!
Misty :groan:

pctek
15-04-2007, 07:25 PM
So how is it you found it in the first place then?

What did you use to see it?

Misty
15-04-2007, 08:41 PM
So how is it you found it in the first place then?

What did you use to see it?
Hi pctek
In the defrag analysis. Actually saw it earlier today also in Nero Express and just gone back and checked and it says "System Volume Information".
Misty

Misty
16-04-2007, 04:36 AM
Just been going over everything and re-checking as something did not add up.

One thing occured to me was that the file that defrag could see - ie, C:\WinXP.GHO folder and the file "System Volume Information", that Nero Express could see, may not be one and the same.

I went into Nero Express again and initially it does not show the size of the file before you "add", however once you "add" then it does show size. The System Volume Information file is 0 kb (zero kb).
----therefore it is a different folder than C:\WinXP.GHO which is 10.90GB

I ceased System Restore again and went back into Safe Mode as suggested by Speedy and unticked the "Hide protected operating system files". I could then see the System Volume Information folder and also something called Recycler --- I must have done something wrong the first time around ! However I could not see C:\WinXP.GHO.
(I have also now switched the System Restore back on and created a new restore point).

The question therefore remains how do I delete C:\WinXP.GHO, which I cannot see in Explorer ? Perhaps I should do a search of the Symantec forums though most of their suggestions may involve the use of Ghost which I do not have. :horrified

Misty :help:

pctek
16-04-2007, 09:31 AM
So maybe it doesn't exist.
Does your HDD used size match if you add up all the folder sizes?

Maybe you could try DOS. Nothing hides in DOS.

If your drive is FAT32 then its easy, boot off a DOS disk.

If its NTFS you'll need NTFSforDOS.

I found a sneaky file that way once. Did an attrib -r -s -h on the folder contents.........

pctek
16-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi pctek
In the defrag analysis. Actually saw it earlier today also in Nero Express and just gone back and checked and it says "System Volume Information".
Misty

Hmmm, nothing sees this except defrag?
maybe it was there and was deleted. As you know deleting a file doesn't delete it actually, just removes the reference to it.

Have you run chkdsk lately? Could be just a screwup on the HDD file list itself.

FoxyMX
16-04-2007, 11:44 AM
The question therefore remains how do I delete C:\WinXP.GHO, which I cannot see in Explorer ?

SpaceMonger (http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/) has successfully deleted a very large "hidden" file for me in the past so you might like to try that.

I see that the program has been updated but the version I have is 1.4 which is still available on that site for download. Hopefully either one will do the job for you.

Edit: Version 1.4 is free whereas the latest version is a 30-day trial.

Misty
16-04-2007, 08:34 PM
SpaceMonger (http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/) has successfully deleted a very large "hidden" file for me in the past so you might like to try that.
Hi Foxy
I have downloaded Spacemonger and it has done a "Treemap" which identifies 10.90GB (or 30.9%) of the drive as "unscanned". It shows in "Statistics" the same area as "Unscannable folder 1". Must investigate further !!
Misty :horrified

Misty
21-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Hmmm, nothing sees this except defrag?
maybe it was there and was deleted. As you know deleting a file doesn't delete it actually, just removes the reference to it.

Have you run chkdsk lately? Could be just a screwup on the HDD file list itself.
Hi pctek
Have been dealing with few domestic and work traumas recently so just got back to this. Has been on my mind a lot.

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense and because am rusty need to check a few details before doing chkdsk. For some reason doing chkdsk is now done through Dos - we seem to have gone backwards somewhat !

Anyway, the first thing the Help and Support Centre on my computer tells me is that the disc needs to be locked. How do I do this please ?

I understand from earlier posts on this forum that I go into Safe Mode and presumably do the the Administrator thingy ?

Then on the command line I enter certain things. This seems to be
>chkdsk d:/f/r
but am a bit unclear if that is quite correct ?
Misty :help:

drcspy
21-04-2007, 03:05 PM
boot with the xp cd then use recovery console to run chkdsk etc......

Misty
21-04-2007, 04:25 PM
boot with the xp cd then use recovery console to run chkdsk etc......
Hi drcspy
I put the XP CD in the disc drive and could not see recovery console right away so did a search of the disc for recovery. Did not find anything so then did a search for dskchk. Following the seach I ended up with something called CDCheck 3.1.12.0. I ran a "check" of the D Drive which read 17.0 GB source bytes. The D Drive is a 40GB one (approx 38GB usable). The missing bit is mostly filled with the mystery 'file' of 10.9GB.
The summary at the foot said

Note - hash - For at least one file only readability was tested because no valid hash file was found (code:54)
It seems that I now need to run "recover" on the D Drive ?
However I cannot understand why CD Check just refers to files and also just to CD's and DVD's. Am I using the wrong process perhaps ?

Presumably the the "no valid hash file" may refer to the mystery 10.9GB block ?

Do I plow ahead with a recovery on the D Drive please ? I am a bit worried about the comment in this CD Check that

Warning!
Because of sector by sector reading and multiple reading of the same sector during recovery this is stressing the drive very much and should be used with care.
What do they mean "should be used with care" ?

Neil McC
21-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I check C,D drives by right clicking on .....C/D drive in Windows Explorer(My Computer),Properties,Tools,Error Checking,select Check Now,select both disc options then start, and it tells me that it can't do a check now but do I want it to do it on start up.Then I reboot and it does it's thing. Isn't this chkdsk?

pctek
21-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Neil - yes thats one way to do chkdsk.

Misty - Boot off the CD, it loads stuff then asks Press R for Recovery Console or Enter to Install.
Press R here then you can run chkdsk for the prompt screen you get.

Neil McC
21-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks pctek

Misty
22-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I check C,D drives by right clicking on .....C/D drive in Windows Explorer(My Computer),Properties,Tools,Error Checking,select Check Now,select both disc options then start, and it tells me that it can't do a check now but do I want it to do it on start up.Then I reboot and it does it's thing. Isn't this chkdsk?
Hi Neil
It worked ! It worked ! It worked !
Thank you - I am so pleased ! These things gobble up so much time and I am not getting any younger.
Misty :) :thumbs: :) :thumbs: