PDA

View Full Version : Auto updates

effie c
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi,
I see the update shield showing on my bottom toolbar, which, auto downloaded,but when I start the install shows it to be one that I do not want,- something similar happened to my old computer, which, once downloaded was there for ever, and undeletable,-and affected certain things in the future updates..
This shield has come at a different time to the normal Microsoft updates, around the middle of each month.
Where is the "downloaded" but uninstalled file located, so that I can delete it and not have to accept what I suspect could be the same file as before,under a different guise.
Sounds melodramatic but "once bitten etc".
:badpc: :D
I know what some member's wisecracks will say -but this is all I am prepared to admit to :)
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 03:24 PM
If u dont want the update untick it, so it doesnt install.

If u dont want it, go to the windowsupdate site and untick the update here.

After u scan for updates.

It should then stay uninstalled, and shouldnt turn up again, when the shield appears next time.

I think the updates go here:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution in one of the folders here.

Are u sure this shield belongs to the updates?

Bryan
03-04-2007, 03:33 PM
If it's XP that you use,

Start/Programs/System Tools/Ssecurity Centre/then click on Autoupdates and change the settings therein.

effie c
03-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi Speedy and Bryan,
I am using XP with sp2 etc etc and all updates come in automatically- I may be paranoid but............
I went into that site in Microsoft updates, and it says it (the file in question) is already downloaed awaiting install- which I already know.
Hence the question, now it is downloaded where is it in my pooter,so I can get rid of it.
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Look in the folder I posted previously

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

The filename may have the KB of the update u installed / or tried to install.

Do a search for it.

Bryan
03-04-2007, 04:03 PM
I am not certain but you can find what updates have been downloaded and it's in a log probably in the string I gave above.

Somewhere it asks if you want to see what downloads have been made to your computer but until I get home I can't help further.

effie c
03-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi, S G & Bryan,

Now you are getting somehere- I used "Regseeker" and found what I think has to be the one - there are 5 entries, and one was hi lited with the KB 905474,number etc and it is the same one as is in Microsoft updates
Now, if I delete this, what is to stop the auto download picking it up in the future?

It sounds paranoid and all areas I think my installation is O K anyway-as I bought this complete a year ago--- I just do not want the same problems if I am wrong, as I had in my old set up and computer

I did not see any sign of "don't ever touch me again" application, button

I am awaiting you people to verify the number and will delete it accordingly

Thanks VERY much for what you have both done- just tell me to click "delete"
and it will be done ( I hope without interfering with the rest of the computer settings.

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Now you are getting somehere- I used "Regseeker" and found what I think has to be the one

Now, if I delete this, what is to stop the auto download picking it up in the future?

Err whats regseeker do? Search the registry? Does it search the hdd?

Does 905474 come up if u do a search of the hdd?

It'll most probably still come up until u go back to the Windowsupdate site and tell it not to appear again.

If this update appears on the windowsupdate site untick it and tell it not to show again or something like this.

effie c
03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi,
I deleted that file in the registry and left a minus sign on the Micrsoft site specific to KB905474.(there is no other method of stopping that file download)
I did a hardrive search and found that file also and deleted it- rebooted the pooter- and there it was again-the install shield telling me that I had downloaded the file and to click on install---now what?
It appears that there has to be somewhere a cache with this file in it- and delete that--
but, I did this,specifically from the cache that showed the named (above) file.
Tell what else I could try?
I assume that I am stuck with the bloody thing- perhaps my paranoia is making a mountain out of a molehill and I could just carry the risk- but I will wait for you first
:lol:
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Now go to the windowsupdate site scan, if its in the updates click on the + and tick the box/box below it then kill IE / FF / whatever u use.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Now go to the windowsupdate site scan, if its in the updates click on the + and tick the box/box below it then kill IE / FF / whatever u use.

Or if it shows in the shield untick it and close the window the shield opened when u checked it.

effie c
03-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi S G,
Did as you suggested- clicked on + sign- came up to - sign but showed no further areas to "kill I E or FF" as you advise.
I am using FF at this moment
Am I missing something obvious?-- and I might add it keeps telling me I have already downloaded the file-( which probably explains the lack of the next box - you tell me to use) which I know but the site goes no further then that- it appears to be back to my previous question- where would the "not yet " installed files be kept?- they have left M/update site in favour of my pooter
Effie c

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi S G,
Did as you suggested- clicked on + sign- came up to - sign but showed no further areas to "kill I E or FF" as you advise.

By that I meant close FF or IE after u tick beside the + if it appears there after u scan.

I toldya in the previous post did u look?

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

effie c
03-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi S G,
did exactly as you suggested- did a final h/d scan search- nothing left of that file- re booted and blow me down there is that "ready to install shield"
Redid the identical scan on h/d search- not a thing supposedly in this pooter--BUT that shield is still hitting me in the eyes !!
I kid you not, I followed your advice to the letter at that--now what?
Sorry S G to be a pain but I would like to delete that download
effie c

Bryan
03-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi Effie. I do not want to cut over SG's advice to you as too many cooks etc.

However, moving on from your present situation, do the following.

Click on Start/Pgms/Accessories/Syst. Tools/Security System and enter.

Click on Automatic updates and there you will have a number of selections. I would suggest that you might like to click on Don't notify me of updates and click Apply.

Then, once a week or so, click on Start button and select "Windows update". This will load a program that will allow you to select high priority or custom downloads from MS.

You should only download the High Priority selection but you can, if you wish, select custom and see what it contains. The selection for both is in the LH column.

I think this will solve your problem in the long term. It puts the control back in your hands.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Just click on the shield and untick the update. And close it.

And click on ok when it says are u sure or whatever comes up

effie c
04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi all,
I downloaded a so called patch from a Google search - it did nothing specific, so I decided to bite the bullet, and install this KB905474.and repair if I had to.

I did and got a "thank you for validating your O S",---whewwwww! was I relieved - I thought my installation had to be valid as I was asked once before to confirm validation but without all this rigamarole-

It could be the downloaded tool did it's job- but as I said I was reasonably sure the previous owner had installed a genuine OS--- I do have several more white hairs for all that

Thanks again

:badpc:
effie c