PDA

View Full Version : Access is denied

stjpc
02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Help!
I restored my backup to its originial places, followed the screen, etc. Then I went open "My Document" and the following message appeared:

C:\\Documents and Setting\......\My Documents is not accessible
Access is denied.

Since then, I'm not able to save any work in Word, the same message (the one above) appears when I go press.

I also notice that "My Document" doesn't have any documents in it.

Can someone please explain / help.

stjpc

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Follow this post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=78051)

The 2nd post I posted.

Are u using XP ?? Home or Pro?

stjpc
03-04-2007, 09:20 AM
XP Pro

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Well follow the post I posted, see if it works.

You may have to take ownership of the folder to fix it.

stjpc
03-04-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm using XP Pro, Office Professional 2003, McAffee Internet security system 2007, etc.

I was working on a word document at the time while my backup was being restored back to its original state. When I finished working on the document I went to save it and that was the first time the error message appear:

C:\\Document and Setting\.......is not accessible.....Access is denied.

Then I clicked on "My Document" directory and exactlt the same error message appeared.

When I looked at "My Computer" this morning I noticed all my old directories and folders I used to have three years ago.

But it seems as if the folders such as "Documents and Settings" from the backup has conflicted with the current ones.

For instance, when I click on "My Computer" and under "Files Stored in this Computer" which one of the three main folders (directories) that stores all My Documents, I double click on my current "John & Mary" folder that usually has all the documents and the same error message appear:

C:\\Document and Setting\.......is not accessible.....Access is denied.

When I click the right-hand mouse on "John and Mary" folder, under properties it shows the Location as 'C:\Documents and Settings\John Apple...' which has been changed. "John Apple" was the old Documents and Settings. The location should have shown 'C:\Documents and Settings\John and Mary...' not just John.

I've noticed the size of the "John and Mary"s folder is now zero (0).

So where have all the current documents disappeared to?

I hope this does not mean that the restored files have deleted all my current folders in "My Document" folder (up to yesterday)?

I'm totally stuck, what should I do? Hope you can help.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Why are u saving to documents and settings anyway?

You should create another folder, and save Word files to that.

Try this what I posted on the other post.

Right mouse on the folder / security tab. (You'll have to show all files, to see it).

If u dont see the security tab, you'll have to turn simple file sharing off - untick it (run my computer, tools / folder options / view. Down the bottom).

Then click on the advanced button. Then add, then in the bottom window, type the name (that you typed in when u installed XP), thats in XP (The name that appears at the top when u click on start).

And click on check names. If its right what u typed in, it'll bring up that name.

Then click on OK, OK, OK. Then see if u can get into it.

SolMiester
03-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you have over-written the folder containing all your current files and replaced the folder CONTENTS with that of the backup....
Guess you will remember in future when restoring files not to restore to original location.
Remember a file/folder restore is NOT a file/folder copy! You are restoring the folder & its contents to that of the backup, all existing contents will be wiped.

Bad luck..

stjpc
03-04-2007, 04:41 PM
To both Speedy Gonzales & SolMiester,

Thankyou for your suggestions.

I'm not sure which folder you're referring to Speedy for me to right-click on.

I have two main questions now.

1. When I use my children's User account (which is limited, I'm the administrator! very ironic), on the same computer, the "My Document" folder opens happily without any problem. But not so in my User Account (funny for the Administrator have "Access denied" while the limited account is problem free.)

2. Consequently observation is thus - I simply cannot save any document whatsoever in my User Account when I'm working any of the Office Professional 2003 programs: Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, Access, etc. After typing some words in MSWord I click on both "Save as" and "Save" and I get the same error message about "Access denied" Why?

My wife is ready to throw me out if I can't find her folders!! Help! Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure which folder you're referring to Speedy for me to right-click on.

The one u want access to.

I have two main questions now.

1. When I use my children's User account (which is limited, I'm the administrator! very ironic), on the same computer, the "My Document" folder opens happily without any problem. But not so in my User Account (funny for the Administrator have "Access denied" while the limited account is problem fre)

Try what I posted it may or may not fix it. Maybe your profile is corrupt?

2. Consequently observation is thus - I simply cannot save any document whatsoever in my User Account when I'm working any of the Office Professional 2003 programs: Word, Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, Access, etc. After typing some words in MSWord I click on both "Save as" and "Save" and I get the same error message about "Access denied" Why?

Change the folder youre saving the docs to. Create a folder. Then u wont have the same prob again.

stjpc
03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I go to Start, then onto "My Document" and right-click on it and the following shows:

* Open
* Add to VLC media playerlist
* Browse with Paint Shop Pro X
* Explore
* Play with VLC media player
* Search....
* Sacn with AVG Free
* Sacn
* Copy
* Show on Desktop
* Rename
* Properties

The list doesn't show "Security." What's next

stjpc
03-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I've just tried in MSWord, under "Tool", "Option" to change the "File Location" for the documents to be saved into but the same error message comes up: "Access denied." Hmmm

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 05:00 PM
The list doesn't show "Security." What's next

Did u read this?? Its under properties on the right mouse. Sorry

Right mouse on the folder / security tab. (You'll have to show all files, to see it).

If u dont see the security tab, you'll have to turn simple file sharing off - untick it (run my computer, tools / folder options / view. Down the bottom).

Then click on the advanced button. Then add, then in the bottom window, type the name (that you typed in when u installed XP), thats in XP (The name that appears at the top when u click on start).

And click on check names. If its right what u typed in, it'll bring up that name.

Then click on OK, OK, OK. Then see if u can get into it.

SolMiester
03-04-2007, 05:05 PM
stjpc, you better start sucking up now mate, you have in actual fact RESTORED the folder to what was in the backup, if the backup didnt contain your wifes folder with files, you maybe in for a rough ride.

stjpc
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
I've done the "My Computer", "View" and untick the "Use simple file sharing" and clicked OK. But I didn't see any advance button after that.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Or like what Solmiester said u may have overwritten the folder. So there's nothing there anywhere.

Did u click on properties/security then the advanced button?

stjpc
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Yes after clicked on the Advance button it shows up:

Permission, Auditing, Owner, Effective Permissions.

Which of those headings do I click on?

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes after clicked on the Advance button it shows up:

Permission, Auditing, Owner, Effective Permissions.

Which of those headings do I click on?

Read 5 posts back/up, I've already posted it three times.

stjpc
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks very much Speedy, it's done! All my documents are back, thewwwwww!!!! I can access everything again. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks very much Speedy, it's done! All my documents are back, thewwwwww!!!! I can access everything again. Thanks.

Good (for u lol). You get to live for another day.

stjpc
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I can sleep now! thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
No worries :) HTH