PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 Bit + XP Pro 32 Bit Dual Booting?

supersi
02-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Recently I upgraded my PC to an AMD 4200 dual core 64 bit capable chip.
I have been running XP Pro 32 bit on a SATA hard drive with 4 partitions, I've kept my old IDE drive as a backup disk.
Anyway, I want to see how Vista 64 bit will run by creating another partition immeadiately after C: - In effect I want Dual-booting.

After doing so all sorts of problems cropped-up, the biggie though was that all of a sudden the Vista install took-over the C: designation and pushed the old C: XP out into H: !??!

The question is, can you have 32 and 64 bit OS's installed on the same physical disk on different partitions, both primary? Also do they both need to be set 'Active' in Partition magic (or any other partition tool)?
What are the steps you need (in correct order) to make this work if possible.

SolMiester
02-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi, answer to your question is yes, dual boot is okay. My question to you, is once you have booted back to XP, what drive letter assignment has Vista got then. My own dual boot (when in Vista) has its drive mapping as C:, but when in XP the partition is marked as V:, it doesn't really matter.

If the order has indeed changed, I wouldn't try swapping it, their would be so many registry entry to amend, it wouldn't be worth the effort.