PDA

View Full Version : Good KVM Switch

gum digger
31-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi
I want to control 2 computers. Both will be on at time.
i need to be able to switch between each.

What are the things to consider.

Ferg
31-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Had a Dick Smith branded one that crapped out after a year (oh really you ask, yes really).

Currently using a MyPico2 , from Ascent, works well, the secomd comp mouse and keyboard are controlled through a single USB plug, so makes swapping machines a breeze.

I've been pleased with this one to date, uses two taps of the control key to switch machines.

Has a nice robust control unit, that doesn't feel as tinny as my previous model

Happy Harry
31-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi
I want to control 2 computers. Both will be on at time.
i need to be able to switch between each.

What are the things to consider.

I use a 4 into 1 ATEN KVM. Love it
As simple as pushing a button on the console to change between PCs.
Some KVMs support quick key selection from the keyboard.

Check out the lengths of the cables that come with the KVM as this can be an issue.
Also be aware that generally, KVMs only support one type of plug type
i.e PS2 or USB but combinatios of these types are available.
Certainly cleans up a lot of clutter on the workbench

HH

gum digger
31-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I use a 4 into 1 ATEN KVM. Love it
As simple as pushing a button on the console to change between PCs.
Some KVMs support quick key selection from the keyboard.

Check out the lengths of the cables that come with the KVM as this can be an issue.
Also be aware that generally, KVMs only support one type of plug type
i.e PS2 or USB but combinatios of these types are available.
Certainly cleans up a lot of clutter on the workbench

HH

I currently have microsoft wireless keyboard mouse, will that work if i plug its reciever into the usb.

Big John
01-04-2007, 04:55 AM
I have used a DSE one and it has lasted for years and years. Last year I brought a 4 port one off them to control 3 PC's and no trouble with that either.
Only issue is that sometimes if you start 1 PC up and then move away to start another while the first one is still booting it will not recognise the keyboard when you get back to it.

John H
01-04-2007, 08:54 AM
An alternative to a KVM switch is a software application called KaVoom. No need for cables and switches - you just swap over via a software "switch" or a key combination you set for yourself.

You may want to check it out at www.kavoom.biz

I gave my KVM away after I started using this method - have been using it for three years or so, and can control my laptop via LAN, and the family computer in the house via WLAN. A KVM switch can't work with another computer via wireless so far as I am aware! I would have needed 50metre cables to do that!

Cost is modest - you just pay a licence fee for however many computers you want to control.

bob_doe_nz
01-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Isn't that what VNC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC) is for

heni72847
01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
a free alternative to kavoom would be synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) which is what i use across my xp and linux machines

no switch to flick or button to press
i can easily move my mouse across my screen and end up on the other screen
keyboard will follow

oh yea.. it copies your clipboard across too
which is rather handy

Happy Harry
02-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I currently have microsoft wireless keyboard mouse, will that work if i plug its reciever into the usb.
I am assuming that that would work.
The KVM would have to be one that attaches to the PC via USB and not PS2
Cheers
HH

Happy Harry
02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
An alternative to a KVM switch is a software application called KaVoom. No need for cables and switches - you just swap over via a software "switch" or a key combination you set for yourself.

You may want to check it out at www.kavoom.biz

I gave my KVM away after I started using this method - have been using it for three years or so, and can control my laptop via LAN, and the family computer in the house via WLAN. A KVM switch can't work with another computer via wireless so far as I am aware! I would have needed 50metre cables to do that!

Cost is modest - you just pay a licence fee for however many computers you want to control.
Hi John
I am assuming that the PCs all have to be networked to use Kavoom??
Can't see how this would work without some sort of physical connection.
HH

John H
02-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi John
I am assuming that the PCs all have to be networked to use Kavoom??
Can't see how this would work without some sort of physical connection.
HH

That's true.

SolMiester
02-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a 6 yr old belkin 4 n 1, still ticking along fine

jcr1
03-04-2007, 07:52 AM
I have a DSE one bought about 6 years ago; built like something out of the steam age (sturdy metal case) and still works fine.