PDA

View Full Version : changeing mp3s so can play on car stereo

petemit
31-03-2007, 11:00 AM
hi does anyone know of free software so i can change mp3s to burn on cds and dvd disks so i can play them in the car
thanks

CYaBro
31-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Does your car stereo play MP3s? Or DVDs?

If you have a CD Writer or DVD writer in your PC then it should have come with some form of software to write to discs like Nero or NTI.
These programs can write the MP3s as data to CD or DVD which will play on any device that supports playing MP3s. You can fit about 100 songs on one CD in this format.
They will also burn an audio CD from MP3s you select which can then be played in any normal CD player. This will be a normal audio CD holding about 10-20 songs, depending on the lenght of the tracks.

You just have tell the software to burn a data disc or audio CD and it will do the rest.

Digby
31-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I would't do it.

Because you are taking a CD that has had a lot of info stripped out of it to an MP3 , then trying to turn it back into a CD.

There is no free lunch.

Best to buy a player that plays Mp3's.

regards

Digby

Greg
31-03-2007, 12:00 PM
hi does anyone know of free software so i can change mp3s to burn on cds and dvd disks so i can play them in the car
thanksQuite easy using something like Cdex to convert them back into a CD playable format. Hopefully your MP3s will be of sufficient high quality (eg bitrate of 192 or higher) so that you don't lose too much quality. But for most intents and purposes you can often get quite acceptable sound as long as you're not too fussy.

Cdex is free to download.

I would't do it.

Because you are taking a CD that has had a lot of info stripped out of it to an MP3 , then trying to turn it back into a CD.
He won't lose much quality at all if any from re-converting back to CD compared to the MP3's existing quality.

zqwerty
31-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Agreed, I have converted quite a few mp3's @128 back to play on a normal CD player and they sound ok even on a good quality stereo system.

Misty
31-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Does your car stereo play MP3s? Or DVDs?

If you have a CD Writer or DVD writer in your PC then it should have come with some form of software to write to discs like Nero or NTI.
These programs can write the MP3s as data to CD or DVD which will play on any device that supports playing MP3s. You can fit about 100 songs on one CD in this format.
Presumably you can also use iTunes to do this ? I invested in a car stereo from Parallel Imported when I changed my car (as alternative to band expander) which plays MP3's. Had the intention of doing this but still getting around to (so much to do !). Am I realistic ??
Misty :confused:
PS - could our enquirer also us iTunes as an alternative ?

lazydog
31-03-2007, 06:31 PM
If you have Nero then use that.

Trev
31-03-2007, 06:38 PM
You already have free software in windows to do this, Windows Media Player. When you open the folder with your MP3 files in it and select them, in the panel on the left of the window you should now see copy to audio cd, when select this it auto. converts the MP3 file to a wave file so you can play them on a ordinary CD player. I assume you have Windows XP.

Trevor :)

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2007, 06:40 PM
I dont think Itunes burns MP3's to cd Misty. It rips music from cd's tho.

You'll actually get near 180-190 MP3's on an MP3 cd.

Compared to an audio CD.

Yup use Nero or CDburnerXP.

winmacguy
31-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I dont think Itunes burns MP3's to cd Misty.

iTunes does burn MP3s directly to CD. (or what ever format you have your tracks originally ripped to in your iTunes library)

Happy Harry
31-03-2007, 10:44 PM
thanks

I have used both Nero and Media player to do this
Its hard to detect any loss and how anyone says they can, in the environment of a moving car, with wind, road and engine noise is beyond me.

Go for it

HH

R2x1
01-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Its hard to detect any loss and how anyone says they can, in the environment of a moving car, with wind, road and engine noise is beyond me.

Go for it

HH
You lucky Cantabrians that still can move in your car.;) Wind and road noise are just a memory for *j*a*f*a*s* who have all these multi lane car parks stretched from work to home. :rolleyes:

Metla
01-04-2007, 01:09 AM

Go for it

HH

Sounds to me like you either need to crank up the volume or bog up the rust holes in the door of the Datsun. Modern cars are pretty quiet...Especially when inside em...with music playing.

Anyway, I have a MP3 6CD stacker in my wagon, I can easily hear white noise in the background and/or distorted music on tracks that have been poorly ripped, Some of which are of a quite reasonable bitrate.

Generally I'm comfortable with the audio quality of the MP3 tracks, But there is an immediate difference when the stacker throws on a store bought CD. Then you hear what you have been missing out on. Though "wall of noise" music tends to fare quite well when compressed.

pcuser42
01-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Try Windows Media Player. ;)

Happy Harry
02-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Sounds to me like you either need to crank up the volume or bog up the rust holes in the door of the Datsun. Modern cars are pretty quiet...Especially when inside em...with music playing.

Anyway, I have a MP3 6CD stacker in my wagon, I can easily hear white noise in the background and/or distorted music on tracks that have been poorly ripped, Some of which are of a quite reasonable bitrate.

Generally I'm comfortable with the audio quality of the MP3 tracks, But there is an immediate difference when the stacker throws on a store bought CD. Then you hear what you have been missing out on. Though "wall of noise" music tends to fare quite well when compressed.

Hey Metla
It must be all the mind altering drugs you (and myself maybe,I can't remember) took in the late 70s that gave you such good hearing.
I do agree there is a difference, but when rocketing across the Canerbury Plains, frantically scanning for Mr Plod, I don't take to much notice.

Keep smiling
HH

Metla
02-04-2007, 07:03 PM
More likely that I bother to listen, Nowadays the car is just about the only place I can listen to the music I like at the volume I wish to.

And my car is certainly quiter then my house....

Remember the 27th of April folks.

Misty
02-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Your birthday ??
Misty :D

Metla
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Thats the night that Slayer play St James theatre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjoX5opLl3M

SolMiester
02-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Agreed, I have converted quite a few mp3's @128 back to play on a normal CD player and they sound ok even on a good quality stereo system.

I disagree, get you ears tested, 128 birate does not convert into acceptable CD quality.

:yuck:

Anyway, how do they sound on a bad/average sound system?..:stare:

CYaBro
02-04-2007, 11:50 PM
More likely that I bother to listen, Nowadays the car is just about the only place I can listen to the music I like at the volume I wish to.

And my car is certainly quiter then my house....

I think you'll find it is the 21st of April which sux as I'm already going to the chili peppers that night

Metla
02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I think you'll find it is the 21st of April which sux as I'm already going to the chili peppers that night

Hmm, Your right, Which means I have bugger all time to get sorted if I want to be there.

As for RHCP, I saw them live years ago, a big letdown, Singing was especially weak, Hopefully it was just an off night, But I wouldnt bother again.

zqwerty
03-04-2007, 01:53 AM
"Anyway, how do they sound on a bad/average sound system?"

Honking bass, squawking mid range, shrill scratchy treble.

Not in evidence on my tri-amped Klipsch Horn system, Bass:

http://www.decware.com/DCHorn_whites.pdf

Mid-range: Modified Klipsch Horn

both sets built with my very own hands including 4 of the amplifiers and the active cross-overs.

Horn tweeters: store bought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klipsch