PDA

View Full Version : I wonder whats gone wrong?

jcr1
31-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a 30gig Maxtor drive, 3 years old, resurrected from my old computer and set up as a slave drive mainly just for not so very important things, like virtual machines and other bits & pieces.
It has been working perfectly well for a couple of months now, but yesterday I got an error message that kept popping up to the effect that "windows can't save H:\mft and to move files to another location". I rebooted the computer and found that the H drive had totally disappeared. I rebooted again checked bios. It wasn't to be seen there. So carried on with boot process. Got into CHKDSK mode where I got the message that H drive was capable but bad; it then went through repair process and at end of it everything was as it was - the H drive was working fine. So went to bed happy. This morning I'm getting the error messages again and can't open any files in the H drive. The rest of the computer works fine.
Anyone have an inkling about what I should do next?

Jen
31-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Run a Maxtor drive diagnostic tool on the drive.

pctek
31-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Buy a Seagate.

jcr1
31-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Buy a Seagate.

I think I'll do just that pctek. Next time I'm in New Plymouth I reckon I'll get one.
The Maxtor's bombed out completely now:waughh: No good getting upset, nothing on it was crucial (all my important stuff is backed up).

CYaBro
31-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Maxtor is Seagate now aren't they??