PDA

View Full Version : High CPU Usage.

Poppa John
30-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi All........We have a situation on one of our computers. The thing stops dead when doing something. We are given to understand that something is monopalising the CPU. When that M/c had Sygate as a firewall it was possible to see, on one of the windows, the actual usage of the CPU. Possibly one programme doing it. Is there any other way in XP Home to bring up a CPU graphic window?? TIA PJ

Jen
30-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Either right-click on the taskbar and select "Task Manager" or go CTRL-ALT-DEL once, and then select "Task Manager".

Actually, I don't know if the CTRL-ALT-DEL works on XP Home or just XP Pro ...

Metla
30-03-2007, 08:41 PM
ctrl-alt-del works on all versions of XP.

As for this comp, something under one of the svchost groupings is ramping the cpu upto 100 percent, The PC has had literally dozens and dozens of items inserted into system startup (and removed by me) and has been on a slow gradual slide into bugginess, Not exactly unknown in the Windows Experience.

My feelings were (the last time I looked at it) that it was due for a backup,format, reinstall. Nothing like a clean slate.

CYaBro
30-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Once in Task Manager go to the Performance tab.

Metla, I have seen svchost do that and more often than not it had something to do with automatic updates.

Poppa John
30-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Jen.... Thankyou.

Metla....I hear what you are saying. PM coming. PJ

Metla
30-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Interesting, Automatic update on that machine is broken, Its hanging on shutdown as it fails to install.

I had meant to clear them (the updates waiting to be installed) but as usual ran out of time....

I had better pay PJ another visit this weekend.

Poppa John
30-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Once in Task Manager go to the Performance tab.

Metla, I have seen svchost do that and more often than not it had something to do with automatic updates.

Both comps are set for Automatic updates. Why doesn't the other one have the same problem?

We have both comps on the perfomance screen. On one, the highs are 'not too high'. On the other up to 100%. It then drops off & the comp will work. The peaks are up & down, naturally, as one asks the comp to do something.
PJ

Poppa John
30-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Is it possible that something is trying to "Call Home"? It seems to shoot up to 100% for no reason, as in no keystrokes to make anything happen. PJ

R2x1
30-03-2007, 09:09 PM
PJ, please!
You don't expect all Lotto tickets to be the same :waughh: - why should your two copies of Windows behave consistently? ;) :D

Metla
30-03-2007, 09:09 PM
I have a cunning plan.:D:D:D

Poppa John
30-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I have a cunning plan.:D:D:D

Marann says...................... I daren't, this is a family forum. PJ:o :D

Maryann
01-04-2007, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=Metla;538081]I have a cunning plan.:D:D:D[/QUO

Metla,
So what is the cunning plan? :D :D :

We did some playing around yesterday while we watched the CPU usage. Short story. We deleted Yahoo & YSTIS (something like that) @ the usage spike dropped off. The M/c is running better.
The problem now is that I use yahoo to talk to a friend in Australia.
Is Yahoo a bloated thing? Or is the one I am running corrupted in some way? M

Speedy Gonzales
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Try the latest version Of Messenger, Windows Live whatever its called.

Dont know if its any better. BUT, if the other person gets the latest version of Yahoo, you can still add each other.

Or just get something like Gaim, which works with most IM programs around.

And I dont think its as big as Yahoo or Messenger.

Altho If you're using cams, I'm not too sure if it works with cams.

Yahoo IMO is crap. It lags too much.

Poppa John
01-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Speedy.........Maryann here.. We do use Messenger to talk to the UK, it seems to be what they prefer. My friend in Aussie prefers yahoo. We will look at your suggestion, Messenger to yahoo. Thanks. M

CYaBro
01-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Well I had a PC the other with a similar problem of CPU usage spikes.
Traced the problem to Nokia PC Suite and removed it.
If you open Task Manager and go to the processes tab you can click on the CPU column so that it puts the highest CPU usage at the top.
You should then be able to see what is using the CPU.
Don't worry about System Idle Process.

Poppa John
01-04-2007, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Metla;538081]I have a cunning plan.:D:D:D[/QUO

Metla,

We did some playing around yesterday while we watched the CPU usage. Short story. We deleted Yahoo & YSTIS (something like that) @ the usage spike dropped off. The M/c is running better.
The problem now is that I use yahoo to talk to a friend in Australia.
Is Yahoo a bloated thing? Or is the one I am running corrupted in some way? M

Maryann again, I take the running better bit back.. I have put Messenger on & the Usage is up to 100% & holding. Flatlining at 100%. M

Poppa John
01-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I had a thought. Both comps in Task Manager, performance grahp. one is all over the place, 10-100% usage. There is nothing but the task m running .
The other M/c, same situation, is constant at 2-4%.

I disconnected both, physically from broadband.. No difference in graph readings. So it is not Coming In from the Internet. PJ

zqwerty
01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Grab this, run it on both computers, compare the two and draw conclusions:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Process_Explorer_d4566.html

Maryann
01-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Here is an screen shot of cpu usage, after it had settled down a bit from looking like a major heart attack monitor:eek:

This was a major learning curve for us mature users....doing a screen shot and uploading it!:o :D

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/untitled1175393195.jpg

stu161204
01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Maryann / PJ can you upload screen shots of your Processes tab? So we can see what Processes your running?

Maryann
01-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Maryann / PJ can you upload screen shots of your Processes tab? So we can see what Processes your running?

Will do.....:o as soon as I've sorted out how to do it again! Having a senior moment...very :o :o Make yourself a cuppa or whatever!

Maryann
01-04-2007, 03:01 PM
:badpc: Think it's more like 'operator error'. Couldn't get a clear screen print. :annoyed:

zqwerty
01-04-2007, 04:22 PM
If the indexing service is enabled, turn it off.

Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Services (set to good viewing area, standard view)/find Indexing Service, if it is running, double click the entry, stop the service and then set 'startup type' to disabled.

Metla
01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
[quote=Metla;538081]I have a cunning plan.:D:D:D[/QUO

Metla,

The cunning plan is too format and install.Seeings as you state teh PC is currently unusable I will (with your permission) take it back to my place, back up everything, format, Install windows+updates,Put back all your data and retrurn it to you.

Though I would need it for about 4 days, Time is limited.

And I wont be able to pick it up tonight, I only just got back home in the last hour and Mrs Metla has rushed off to an apointment. I will have to call in Monday after work.

Please round up all asssociated CD's.

Maryann
01-04-2007, 06:05 PM
PJ asks ' Associated c.d's? Microsoft Office and things like that and OS? Anything else?'

Your cunning plan....(painful as it will be for me to be parted from my 'Metla')will be greatly appreciated. Since removing Yahoo and Ysget (?) at least the puter isn't 'jamming' all the time, thereby removing the necessity for me to :badpc: :badpc:

See you Monday p.m. Would you like us to bring the box down to your place and leave it with the patient Mrs.M? PJ will be home but I have to go out by 6.30 p.m.

Thanks-a-fruit-cake-or-2-and-possibly-3!! :thumbs:

BTW....the DVD thingy that we were so SURE didn't work :blush: . It does. Operator error:blush:

Maryann.