PDA

View Full Version : HDD settings disappear

johnd
28-03-2007, 09:51 PM
My daugher's PC is having problems - I am 160km away so the following is what I have gleaned (it was my old system).

1. The CMOS settings disappear so the system will not boot. If you go into the CMOS settings the drives can be sensed and the system will boot.

2. The system freezes during use - restarting and going into the CMOS confirms that the drives have gone again.

Seems to me like a new motherboard. But somebody suggested to me that a flat and faulty CMOS battery might do this?? Is it worth getting a new CMOS battery before I rush into a new MBd?

johnd
28-03-2007, 10:01 PM
. But somebody suggested to me that a flat and faulty CMOS battery might do this??

I mean the part while it is going and it seems to loose the HDDs.

pctek
28-03-2007, 10:10 PM
A flat battery would cause the BIOS to loose all its settings, date would revert etc.
Does it?

Or is it just the HDD?

I have a client with a sick MB, drives frequently disappear, often in the middle of them using it, but it also has exciting symptoms such as losing the picture, giving RAM errors, all sorts.

johnd
28-03-2007, 10:15 PM
A flat battery would cause the BIOS to loose all its settings, date would revert etc.
Does it?
Not as far as I know

Or is it just the HDD?

I believe that both HDDs and the DVD go - it it is all a bit difficult to determine with a non-technical person at the other end!

tweak'e
29-03-2007, 09:34 AM
does it do it when the cd/dvd drives are not connected?
my pc is somwwhat touchy at how the dvd drive is connected which caused a few similar problems.

how is the HD and DVD connected? sata/ide ?

SolMiester
29-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Maybe just an 'IDE controller' add-in card is required! Maybe the cable they are using the connect the drives is faultly