PDA

View Full Version : Switch from FAT to NTFS

jno
28-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I am looking at the "Project#2" on p.51 of the April issue of NZ PC World and have two questions:
i) How do I find out whether I have a FAT or FAT32 drive or NTFS? I have Windows XP Home edition on my Acer Aspire 3002WLMi laptop. I have gone to System Properties but find no mention of either in all of the windows I have trawled through. So I then thought I would follow the process outlined in the paragraph. Which gave me a DOS (I think!) window in which the cursor blinked at the end of the line:
C:\Documents and Settings\John
However, when I tried to delete this line in order to put in the specified "convert C:/fs:ntfs" it wouldn't delete. And when I pressed enter to put the cursor on the next (blank) line, the statement C:\Documents . . . etc repeated itself. Hence my second question:

ii) How do I write the required "convert C:/fs:ntfs" . . . if of course, I need to?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2007, 05:14 PM
I am looking at the "Project#2" on p.51 of the April issue of NZ PC World and have two questions:
i) How do I find out whether I have a FAT or FAT32 drive or NTFS? I have Windows XP Home edition on my Acer Aspire 3002WLMi laptop. I have gone to System Properties but find no mention of either in all of the windows I have trawled through.

You run My computer, highlight the hdd (like C. On the left, it'll say FAT32 or NTFS).

So I then thought I would follow the process outlined in the paragraph. Which gave me a DOS (I think!) window in which the cursor blinked at the end of the line:

C:\Documents and Settings\John

However, when I tried to delete this line in order to put in the specified "convert C:/fs:ntfs" it wouldn't delete. And when I pressed enter to put the cursor on the next (blank) line, the statement C:\Documents . . . etc repeated itself. Hence my second question:

ii) How do I write the required "convert C:/fs:ntfs" . . . if of course, I need to?

Typing in what u put should still work. As u found out u cant delete the line.

Type cd c:\ to get to c, then type it again.

You dont put the quotes in when u convert FAT to NTFS. After u convert the hdd to NTFS, however u cant change it back to FAT, unless u use a 3rd party program.

jno
28-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for this, but I don't know how to "run My Computer"? I've tried Start/Run and then put in My computer but of course this is not a file name! So I right clicked on My Computer in Windows Explorer, but couldn't find any reference to the hdd.

So I tried your second suggestion and - lo and behold! I got the message:
The type of the file system is FAT32
so we're on our way! But the next line said:
Enter current volume label for drive C. Er, yes! What is that? and where do I find it?

Sherman
28-03-2007, 10:44 PM
When he said run My Computer, he meant either double clicking the my computer icon on the desktop (if it's there) or going start->My Computer.

Once in my computer, click on your hard disk icon (C: ) and on the panel on the left at the bottom it will tell you the info you need to know.

If the drive is called Local Disk (C: ), then it has no volume label, so when asked to enter volume label, you would leave it blank.

If the drive is called something other than Local Disk, then that name is the volume label.

jno
29-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for this Sherman. I have done what you said after finding that the drive was called Local Disk, but then got the message
An incorrect volume label was entered for this drive.
In all my working through the various windows on my way to "doing what you said" I came across the window System Information in which I note that the item Boot Device has the value \Device\HarddiskVolume2. I tried entering 2 as the volume label but got the same message.
So - where to now?

Sherman
29-03-2007, 10:26 PM
try typing vol c: into the command prompt. That should give you the volume label for the disk.
If it says it has no label then you should be able to leave the volume label field blank when convert asks for it.
If it still won't work, I don't know what the problem could be.

MushHead
29-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Note that there is a space between the "C:" and "/FS:NTFS" parts of the command line. The CONVERT command expects a drive letter or volume name, followed by the file system type. This may be causing you some grief.

If it still insists on asking for a volume name for confirmation, try giving the disk a name by right-clicking on the C: drive icon, selecting Properties, and change the text in the top edit field, then OK. Then use that name when prompted.

Greg
30-03-2007, 01:13 AM
i) How do I find out whether I have a FAT or FAT32 drive or NTFS?Open Contol Panel, open Administrative tools, Computer Management, click on Disk Management. You'll get the info there.

jno
30-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Sherman. I typed vol c: in as you suggest, and got the required volume label. Thanks.

Thanks Greg; as you see, I've now located the type of file system

MushHead and Sherman: I've fired up System - Properties and find that (under the General tab) the name in the top field is SYSTEMS which confirmed my action as noted above in response to Sherman. So I've put that in when requested, and got the message:

Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume. (Y/N)

There's no way I want to do that . . . something I don't understand and have never encountered before, so I cancelled out of that screen.

So . . where to from here?

Incidentally, I'm intrigued that I'm having so much difficulty in following through this Project #2; I entertained the fond hope that the instructions in PC World would not only be clear - which they are - but also complete and adequate, which clearly they aren't . . at least not for me and my computer setup.

I repeat: where to from here?

Sherman
30-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Sigh
i miss the days of win 98 when to convert your drive from FAT to FAT32 you could go through the process using a wizard.... A few mouseclicks and a reboot later it was all done.

I would try running windows in safe-mode and converting it from there.
To run in safe mode, repeatedly press the F8 key before the black screen with the XP logo and scrolling blue bar. (if you see a white bar moving across the bottom of the screen during boot, this is when you press F8). A list will be presented to you. Choose the option to run in safe mode.

Once in safe mode, try converting the drive the same way as you have before.

If this still doesn't work, then I'm not sure that you should try any further.

There are more options that could be tried, but I wouldn't recommend them to you as they would involve either booting into the recovery console (inadvisable unless you know how to navigate a command prompt AND know what you're doing) or booting into a live linux distribution (which also isn't advisable as you can do a lot of damage in linux if you're not careful).

There may be other people on this forum who can help further though..... or who have seen something blindingly obvious that I've missed;)

Greg
30-03-2007, 08:14 PM
So Jno I'm assuming you're still wanting to convert Fat32 to NTFS?

Thanks to Jen for this link (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx) from this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=53677) a while back.

jno
31-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks Sherman. Just a quick response as I am going to be extra busy over the next couple of days, so won't be able to try out what you suggest. I'm up in Auckland but will be returning to Palmy - yes, I live there too! - tomorrow Sunday so will be having a go in safe mode when I get the chance on Monday.

jno
02-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks Greg and Sherman.
Sherman: I have had a go in safe mode with exactly the same outcome! So, no joy!
Greg: I have accessed the link you gave and gone to the paragraph: "Converting to NTFS using convert.exe".
In the information in the DOS window appear the lines:
/CutArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be the place holder for NTFS system files.
I don't know what that means; can you please clarify - and tell me what I should put there?
Also, the command line says:
CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [V] [CutArea:filename] [NoSecurity] [/X]
I presume when I type this is I don't use the square brackets. Is that right?

I'm determined not to let this beat me and I look forward to further clarification.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2007, 05:34 PM
CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [V] [CutArea:filename] [NoSecurity] [/X]

Dont worry about V and the rest of it.

You shoudnt have to go into safe mode to convert the hdd to NTFS.

Bryan
02-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I converted from FAT32 to NTFS and was given the following instructions.

1. Goto Run and type in cmd and enter. this will bring up the command propmt into which you type vol and press enter.

2. Note the volume name as you will need it in the following steps.

3. Type convert c: /fs:ntfs

4. The system will ask for the volume name above, enter this, if there is no Vol Name, just press enter.

5. The system will ask if the drive is currently mounted, answer N.

6. The system will ask if you want to convert the drive next re-boot, answer yes.

7. Next time you re-boot the drive will convert to NTFS.

It worked for me, hope it does for you too.

jno
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Thank you very much indeed, Bryan. Your prescription worked - with one small amendment to the instruction in sentence 5 above. Referring to my posting #9 above, you will see that I was given some other information which concluded with the question:
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?
Well, with a certain amount of misgiving I responded N, and then followed through the rest of the process, and lo and behold! it did the job, so I have converted both my C drive and my D drive (holding my data) to NTFS.

Once again, my warm thanks to all of you who have responded to my initial query with your helpful responses. We eventually got there!