PDA

View Full Version : Disk Defragmentation

bk T
28-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Just did a disk cleanup and defragmentation for my laptop. When the Defragmentation is finished, it pops up a window saying that:

"Some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files."

Never had this message before. Checked the defrag report and found there is something like: Master File Table Fragmentation, Total File size: 395 MB, MFt record count 364.

What are they? Is it critical and require attention?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2007, 05:06 PM
What program r u using??

If its something else besides XP's, the files maybe in use, why they cant be defragged.

I wouldnt worry too much about it.

bk T
28-03-2007, 05:22 PM
It's Windows XP Media Centre Edition, SP2 with all the latest updates. Have tried to run Defrag in Safe Mode and the same pop up message appeared. Have been running defrag quite regularly and it never happened before.

radium
28-03-2007, 07:50 PM
I have had this problem before and no matter what I tried, safe mode, minimal services running, moved files, deleted temp files etc... Nothing would work.
I did make progress it would almost complete like 95% but I still got that dam message.
Determined not to let it beat me I got Diskeeper- It’s a powerful defrag utility. It worked a treat.

That was ages ago now, since then I have come across it many times on different computers and now I just leave it.

Like Speedy says I wouldn't worry about it.

Otherwise get Diskeeper.

lotse
28-03-2007, 10:06 PM
"Some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files."

Thats normal. Some files can not be moved whilst windows is running.

If it worries you, Diskeeper has a "boot-time" defragmenter option, where you can set it to run before windows boots up fully. This quote is from thier help file:

Boot-Time Defragmentation Overview
Boot-Time Defragmentation consists of three independent activities:

Directory Defragmentation and Consolidation — moves directories to a single location. Note that on NTFS volumes, directories can be moved and defragmented online, which makes directory consolidation on these volumes unnecessary. However, Boot-Time directory defragmentation and consolidation can be useful on FAT volumes.

The various editions of Windows write directories into random locations all over a volume. This, in effect, breaks up the free space on the volume. By grouping all the directories into a single location on a volume, larger areas of contiguous free space become available. Therefore, new files are more likely to be written to the volume in a contiguous manner. This also helps make Diskeeper more effective when it is run in either the Automatic or Manual defragmentation modes.

Paging File Defragmentation — defragments the paging file. Fragmented paging files can slow Windows performance. They can also hurt the effectiveness of Diskeeper, since the unmovable paging file fragments break up the free space on the volume. By defragmenting your paging file, you can help maintain peak Windows performance, and help Diskeeper run better at the same time. After a paging file has been defragmented, it should remain contiguous unless its size is changed.

Master File Table (MFT) Defragmentation — defragments the Master File Table (MFT). The MFT is a critical section of Windows NTFS disk volumes. The MFT is used by the NTFS file system to locate files on a volume, so fragmentation of the MFT slows the retrieval of files on the disk—whether these files themselves are fragmented or not. Defragmenting the MFT will improve the overall performance of the volume.

Note that on Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 most, but not all of the Master File Table can be defragmented by Diskeeper during normal Automatic or Manual defragmentation operations. Boot-Time Defragmentation is still required to fully defragment the MFT, but it usually does not need to occur as often as it does on Windows 2000.

Boot-Time Defragmentation opens up larger areas of contiguous free space for new file creation and modification.