PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Mouse Problem - Help Please!

Mantis
26-03-2007, 12:01 AM
I have a Win Xp SP2 Machine. All updates installed etc...

I tried to update the USB mouse driver and since doing that, every time I move the mouse the computer resets. The only way I can use the computer is if I plug the mouse into the a PS/2 adaptor and PS/2 slot. Then everything works ok until I plug the mouse into the usb slot then it resets again.

I did a system restore back to before I tried to update the driver (the restore went ok) but the PC still resets every time I move the mouse when it is plugged into USB slot.

I'm guessing its a bung driver that is causing me all this grief? Is there any way I can remove it or roll back the usb driver without having a usb mouse plugged in?

Also I have a windows security alert after the restore saying that I have neither anti virus or firewall installed but I have both (avg and zonealarm). I uninstalled avg and reinstalled in but I still get the security alert? Any ideas why my windows is doing this?

Any help with these problems would be hugely appreciated.

M.

beama
26-03-2007, 12:16 AM
device manager...find device (mouse in this case), right click on, choose properties.... drivers tab, you will see button "roll back driver", this may work

avg problem, try doing an update
firewall, sorry dont know

Mantis
26-03-2007, 12:25 AM
But when I go to device manager, it only shows the PS/2 mouse which is plugged in and not the USB mouse which I can;t plug in....

I somehow need to get to the USB mouse driver without having the usb mouse plugged in...

I tried updating (and even reinstalling) AVG but I still get the security alert after the system restore....

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers.

M.

feersumendjinn
26-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Try going into device manager (control panel>system>hardware>device manager), and see if you've got any conflicts (usually indicated by a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside), especially under USB controllers or Mice headings; if you have, remove the offending device from the list, unplug the mouse, reboot the computer; when XP is back, plug the (usb)mouse back in, it should be detected, and it should ask for your driver disk or at least install a generic driver.
(Might pay to check for bent/shorting contacts in USB sockets or mouse plug too).
Dunno about the security alert prob, somebody else should be able to help you with that.

Mantis
26-03-2007, 01:03 AM
I've looked at the usb options in device manager and there is no conflicts. I've also tried multiple mouse and every usb slot and even a usb hub and still as soon as the usb mouse is inserted into the slot, the system reboots...

Also if I start the system with the usb mouse already plugged in, as soon as windows loads and the mouse is moved, the system restarts.

When I plugged the usb mouse into the usb hub, the 'found new hardware' thing came up and I selected to install the driver automatically and it installed the windows human input driver and then promptly rebooted...

I can't find any info on google about this problem, this is really weird...

Thanks fot the suggestions so far, if anyone one has anymore they are appreciated.

Cheers.

M.

Mantis
26-03-2007, 01:44 AM
OK, after uninstalling the mouse's driver and software, and then reinstalling the latest version, this now looks like it may have fixed the problem, (no resets yet). I have learned a valuable lesson: If ain't broke, don;t fix it.

But windows security is still telling me that I have no anti virus or firewall installed when I have both (AVG and Zonealarm). I know I can just turn the security centre alarm off, but does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Cheers.

M.

feersumendjinn
26-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Could try this, (disable then reenable, see if av/firewall detected then)

From the Start menu, choose Run.
Type services.msc and hit Enter.
Scroll down until you see Security Center. Double-click it.
Set the Startup box to Disabled. Click OK.
The change takes effect after you reboot.

or do a repair install of XP (bit drastic tho):D
(this may be helpful),
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

or this:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
:waughh:

feersumendjinn
26-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Good to see you got the mouse sorted.

Mantis
26-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Could try this, (disable then reenable, see if av/firewall detected then)

or do a repair install of XP (bit drastic tho):D
(this may be helpful),
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

or this:
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
:waughh:

I have just tried this, and upon turning Security Center back on, it still tells me that there is no firewall or antivirus running. I've just updated to the latest version of zonealarm and the problem still persists...

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm not too keen on doing a windows repair install just yet...

Cheers.

M.