PDA

View Full Version : SD Card "losing" capacity

somebody
25-03-2007, 10:29 PM
In the last week or so, my (relatively new) SD card has been losing capacity. What i mean is: It is a 2GB card, so has 1.81gb of usable space.

Earlier in the week, I took it out of my cardreader, and put it back in. It then registered 1.68GB (without needing to be reformatted - seemed weird, but I was too busy to worry about it). I reformatted it, thinking it would solve the problem - it didn't. Looked in the Disk Management, and it reports the card as being a 1.68GB card...

What happened today was even weirder: I took it out of my cardreader, put it into my digital camera. Used the format function on that to format the card. Put it back into my PC - it now showed 1.39GB. I have tried reformatting, with no luck.

So... any ideas as to what's causing this? If it helps, I've been keeping it in my laptop's cardreader full-time as Readyboost cache.

beeswax34
25-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Maybe the card's read-write cycles are being used up. I mean I can only imagine how much a comp/laptop might need to access RAM. The card might not be able to handle so many cycles maybe.

somebody
26-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Umm... it's just over a month old though....

Since posting, I now can't do anything to the drive - can't format it either - time to send it back.