PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Video Card

Ishida
25-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Hello, this is my second topic here, my first was about an overheating problem I had (Solved, thanks to you).

My MotherBoard has On Board video chip, as I said in my previous topic, no fancy stuff in my PC. The On Board chip pulls 32MB of my RAM, and I wanted to keep all my RAM to the system.

One friend lent me his old (And I mean old) NVidia TNT (Riva?) card, so I put it on my board, turned on the PC and it wouldn´t boot. Black screen, no "beep" at startup.

Checking in various forums, I discovered that I had to "deactivate" the On Board chip for the BIOS to boot. I did (Or I think I did) and the machine indeed booted up. But if I plug the monitor into de NVidia card, I get no video signal, instead I have to plug it into the On Board chip to get any signal!

What happened? Windows DETECTED the new Video Card and it installed all the drivers, but what can I do if I get no Video Signal from the new card at boot? I know the card is not damaged because Windows managed to detect it without any problems.

It is a AGP card, so I told the BIOS to use the "Video Init" (Or something like that) in the AGP slot. This is what I did to get the PC to boot with the new card, but it just refuses to give me signal.

The On Board chip STILL sucks the system´s RAM.

Any ideas guys? Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Go back into the BIOS and see if there's an option to select between the onboard or AGP, and change it to AGP.

The 32mb maybe coming from the AGP if u disabled the onboard videocard.

Ishida
25-03-2007, 07:53 AM
I get into the BIOS, and under de "Display Video Init" (Or something like that), I set "AGP". I plug the monitor to the AGP card, turn de PC on and I get no video signal. If I unplug the monitor from the AGP card and plug it on the On Board chip, I get video signal.

There is another option in my BIOS that says "Video Shared Memory", and it shows "32MB". I could disable this too, but I´m afraid that, if I disable the On Board chip, and for some reason the AGP doesn´t wok, how the hell am I gonna get video signal again? If I do this, won´t the computer just "think" there is no Video Card and never show signal again?

So, what do you think? Oh, another thing. If when using Windows I unplug the monitor from the On Board chip and plug it into the AGP card, the display shows half the screen black and the other half green.... :groan:

In my Device Manager I get the two chips, On Board and AGP, and they are displayed properly...

Please help! If you need more info on my BIOS and it´s options, just ask.

Speedy Gonzales
25-03-2007, 08:31 AM
I hope you're not swapping the monitor cable (between the onboard and AGP card), while Windows is running.

You'll kill both cards sooner or later.

What version of Windows are u using?? If XP, right mouse on the desktop / properties / settings. What card is showing here?

Ishida
25-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I´m using Windows XP. Right now is showing the On Board chip on desktop / properties / settings. It also shows the AGP card, but for some reason I can´t select it as the primary video display