PDA

View Full Version : MP3

15-02-2001, 06:53 PM
I am to computing and I recently bought a magazine which boasted 'MP3 mania - how to make your own'.
I didn't understand it. Can someone out there please give me a basic explanation on how to download music or direct me to where I can find a simply written article on the subject. I'm on a P3 800mb with 128 SDRAM, 20GB HDD, graphics and sound cards using Windows 98SE.

15-02-2001, 10:53 PM
Hi Bob

In basic terms, you download a digital file, which is then played by your computer using an audio program. The digital files (mp3's) are compressed to about 1/10th of their usual size, so they take up less hard drive space and are quicker to download.

If you enter MP3 into the search box on the PC World home page, and search within PC World, you will find many articles.

One example is here:
http://idg.net.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/53ab724372d86c6dcc2569a4007e4ac1/00aa7fe53d02a7b9cc256907000cd645!OpenDocument&Highlight=2,mp3

You can get mp3's from many sources, Napster is my choice (while it lasts..) www.Napster.com for the program download, or get it off many of the PC World Magazine free cd's. Once you have the program installed you can connect and share music with others.

Matt

15-02-2001, 11:47 PM
Hi..while napster is fine for downloading mp3's..by far and away the best place for quicker downloads..better variety..direct communication with the person giving you the mp3..go to MIRC.Com.download there programme..install it..when you are connectiong choose an 'undernet server'..then in the channels box type #mp3...and watch in amazement as dozensof channels with all types of music appear before your very eyes..select any channel and ask an op..the have a @ in front of there nickname..and soon you will be in mp3 heaven..