PDA

View Full Version : Word 2003 margin indicator

Strommer
24-03-2007, 09:47 AM
How do I get Word to automatically show top/bottom margins?
See screenshot: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Word_PF1_.jpg

On the right is Print Preview. I have added the red dots of what I would like word to do when starting a new document (not just in Print Preview). Word used to do this but for some reason it has changed to what you see on the left.

I may have asked this same question here on PF1 a year or two ago but cannot find it via Search. When I read the answer I thought "thats so easy I don't need to file away the solution". :rolleyes:

I've looked at everything via the toolbar but cannot see what must be obvious. Thanks for your help. This time I will save the answer. :p

coldot
24-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Maybe I'm on the wrong track, not too sure what you're looking for, but....
Switch View to "page layout" and options, view, tick on "show text boundaries". (All the better to see them with.)
File, Page setup, check that margins top and bottom are set appropriate size.
And have you checked file "normal.dot" which holds your standard page setting? If you search for "normal.dot" and find several versions, see which has the most recent date and modify that one.
If that doesn't work - ask again with comment on why the above didn't help.

LucyL
24-03-2007, 05:00 PM
You have "hide whitespace" turned on. Just click your mouse on the line indicating the break between pages to "show white space" again.

Cheers Lucy :thumbs:

Strommer
25-03-2007, 07:54 AM
You have "hide whitespace" turned on. Just click your mouse on the line indicating the break between pages to "show white space" again.

Cheers Lucy :thumbs:

Lucy, thanks!! OMG that was simple, and it explains why I could not find the solution up in the toolbar.

Coldot, I appreciate the suggestions but they did not do the trick. Maybe you did not see the screenshot showing what I wanted. I did a search for normal.dot but when opening it, only a blank Word document appeared.

coldot
25-03-2007, 05:19 PM
"I appreciate the suggestions but they did not do the trick. Maybe you did not see the screenshot showing what I wanted. I did a search for normal.dot but when opening it, only a blank Word document appeared."

Yep! That's the template for your Word documents so I would expect it to be blank - unless all your documents have something like a preset header or footer. But that's where you can set the layout for the "blank" document when you open Word.
Cheers :)

Strommer
26-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Thanks coldot. At times it is the really simple things that stump me.