PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best

JJJJJ
23-03-2007, 02:49 PM
My comp. has passed it's first birthday and is due to be replaced. I'm dithering a bit between AMD and Intel and would appreciate any suggestions.

Current PC has a 939 m/b so upgrades are out of the question.

So what's the best way to go?
Intel cpu and m/b, or amd?

Only stipulation $1,000 is absolute maximum for cpu. I already have a good,cool,quiet Lian Li case with a 500 watt psu which I may keep or I may sell the whole thing. Probably get enough to buy a new case.

PaulD
23-03-2007, 02:54 PM
What do the various FlightSim forums say?

Trev
23-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Wish I could replace my computer every year. Mine is 4 years old. Intel is the way to go at the moment.

Trevor :)

mejobloggs
23-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Core 2 Duo

qazwsxokmijn
23-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Certainly Intel. E6600 2.4GHz is around $532 I believe. A good motherboard would be $300 or thereabouts.

SolMiester
23-03-2007, 03:33 PM
E6300 for $361, however you would need new RAM and Mobo, so just go for a new Video Card....or a dual core 939 chip

pctek
23-03-2007, 04:10 PM
My comp. has passed it's first birthday and is due to be replaced. I'm dithering a bit between AMD and Intel and would appreciate any suggestions.

Current PC has a 939 m/b so upgrades are out of the question.

You can upgrade with 939. But why bother, you had a dual core and hated it, so I'd just not upgrade at all.

winmacguy
23-03-2007, 05:48 PM
AMD with emphasis on gaming, Intel for a fast machine where gaming is not so crucial (at this stage)

The_End_Of_Reality
23-03-2007, 07:42 PM
AMD with emphasis on gaming, Intel for a fast machine where gaming is not so crucial (at this stage) Um actually WRONG Intel Core 2 Duo in ALL machines... this chip is faster that any current AMDs out there in most (if not all!) tests/benchmarks and real life situations, gaming included

Have you not seen the posts around here about it, read the reviews, seen the benchmarks??? :groan:

NOTE: I am not an Intel fanboy (or any fanboy for that matter :p), I simply say what the facts are they are and currently Intel is top dog, good on them :thumbs: I hope AMD come back :D

winmacguy
23-03-2007, 08:12 PM
No I haven't seen the bench marks or read the reviews since I tend to read OS and some gadget reviews rather than hardware and cpu reviews but thanks for the correction.:)

With the way Intel is going though, I have a suspicion that they may be on top for a while yet since AMD has been hit very hard with the price war with Intel for the last few quarters and Intel has made great progress with their chip design (one of the factors why Apple went with Intel over AMD when they moved from IBM, I suspect.)

pctek
23-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Um actually WRONG Intel Core 2 Duo in ALL machines... this chip is faster that any current AMDs out there in most (if not all!) tests/benchmarks and real life situations, gaming included

He doesn't like dual cores. He had one and swapped it out for a single core AMD.

Metla
23-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Did no one read the mammoth "sticky" thread on current PC configurations we have in bthe chat forum?

The_End_Of_Reality
23-03-2007, 09:17 PM
He doesn't like dual cores. He had one and swapped it out for a single core AMD. Yes, I know that, but there is nothing in the way of single core that is worth going for new these days... And plus, the actual design of the C2D and X2s are very different, so it is unlikely that the same problem will occur

He has a 4000+ now right? well that is as high as the Athlon single cores go...