PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Vista Nightmare

Twelvevolts
21-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok so against advice (and common sense) I had to go and buy Vista and try and install it on my PC. Yes I know - just about every thread on here said don't do it!

I got it home and off I went to install it but hit a point where nothing happened. OK -took me a while, but I remembered eventually that one of my hard drives had a dynamic disk - not supported of course by Vista Home Premium. Change it to a Simple disk.

Great - I'm on my way. Nope - although the Vista Upgrade Advisor tells me all my hardware meets the Vista requirements, it still won't install and hangs right at the last step.

Must be the Visat disk is faulty - try another disk (ultimate this time) and same thing happens.

Back to Dick Smith for my money back - oh no you'll have to ring Microsoft.

Microsoft - sorry we only take calls before 6 pm - who gets home before six pm???

Ring them from work - have you tried reformatting etc. Yes - but only about ten times so that might not quite have done it. What about your SATA controllers sir?? Yeah right I think but I try all the suggestions and it still doesn't install. Turn off the anti-virus, connect to the net, don't connect to the net, put the serial number in, don't put the serial number in, check your XP is legal (it is), disconnect printer, disconnect anything else that moves, need I go on.

Don't see me getting the money back - so any ideas what might be happening here.

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
Board: Gigabyte 965P-S3
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
1 GIG DDR2 SDRAM
BENQ DVD DD DW1620
Western Digital Sata Drive 320 gig
Seagate IDE drive 160 gig
Brother Printer

Oh software compatibilty per the Vista compatibility says it doesn't like the exisiting Microsoft software like Active Sync, Messenger or Explorer - at least that gave me a laugh.

I'm out of ideas - it just won't install!

winmacguy
21-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Does XP still install?
Good luck on sorting it out.

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Home Premium doesnt support dynamic disks? Bugger...

Good luck getting it fixed, no idea sorry...

Greg
22-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Sell it to some other ignorant bugger on some web auction site, then use the few dollars to buy an obsolete Playstation.

DUNK
22-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Sell it to some other ignorant bugger on some web auction site

Join the queue on 'TradeMe' There's a lot of em there already
Now we know why! :badpc:

Big John
22-03-2007, 08:19 AM
I have it and it rocks baby!!!!!

Do a clean install and not an update. Re-install all your other stuff later. PC's always run better on a clean install of their O/S rather than an update.
If you are using a SATA RAID did you put the driver disk in and if so the right one?
I found Vista Ultimate not only installed 100% from fresh it found and configured every single peice of hardware my PC has. Something that XP has never been able to do on any of the 12 installs I have done on about 7 different PC's

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Big John:
Unlike me, you're obviously not using an SB!Live 5.1 channel sound-card, or an nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 are you:
http://au.creative.com/support/kb/article.asp?sid=14186
http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_home.html

Dont get me wrong, Im trying it out also, but its not something Im impressed with by any stretch of the imagination!

On the up side, the default Vista display drivers are much better at 3D than the XP ones :) Still... Im not impressed though!

chiefnz
22-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Yeah I'd have to agree with Big John, Vista is pretty slick, I had no issues doing a clean install of Vista Ultimate. I have two issues though... driver problems I think.

First: Not too sure about this one but I think there's an issue with the driver for my X800's ATi Rage theatre chip.

Second: This is a funny one, no driver for my creative gameport for some reason.

I've used Vista certified drivers for the X800 as well as my SB Audigy card.

Anyone else have issues with ATi and or Creative Labs hardware.

Cheers

chiefnz

Big John
22-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Correct, I have an NVidia 8800GTX and use the internal HD sound chip and pipe it out through coax to my Creative SB2 8.1

Bryan
22-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi Twelvevolts.

Are you going to dual boot with XP?

There is plenty on Google re installing a clean install on a separate HHD with XP still in place and not over-written. It requires you to install Vista WITHOUT using the serial code and then to reinstall WITHIN Vista but using the code.

It's relatively easy to do and works well if you can get it installed. However you should have a clean partition to install it on a separate HDD.

I know that doesn't answer you immediate problem but I hope it might help.

If you do get it installed as a dual boot, download a copy of Vistaproboot into Vista as this will replace the boot options and you can customise it too.

Good luck.

rogerp
22-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Ok so against advice (and common sense) I had to go and buy Vista and try and install it on my PC. Yes I know - just about every thread on here said don't do it!

I'm out of ideas - it just won't install!

I would say just take it back to the shop for a refund. Basically it doesn't meet the requirements under the CGA, as being fit for it's intended purpose. Tell them you have already contacted microsoft and they couldn't work a solution. Because of microsofts copy protection proceedures, even if you had been able to install it, they would be able to tell if it had been installed and you had a working activated copy.
If they refuse, you could ask them if you could bring your computer into their store to show them. If they still refuse, I think you could claim a refund using the disputes tribunal, especially as many other people all over the world have had problems installing it.
Personally I wouldn't consider vista until their have released service pack 1 and fixed the bugs. I would also only install it on a new computer, so I woudl probably get an OEM version. Also some of my old (only 3 year old)hardware won't work with it, and it doesn't really offer anything new over xp, that you can't get from third party applications.

chiefnz
22-03-2007, 04:55 PM
My only suggestion would be to unplug all hard drives apart from the one you're going to install Vista on. Personally I don't trust dual booting with any OS and neither do I believe in performing Upgrade installs... they are filled with just too many pitfalls.

It's obviously not a system spec problem as you are well in the clear with that.

Do a clean install with Vista dedicated on a single drive...

I've got Vista Ultimate running on a crappy Samsung 40GB HDD and she purrs along without any hassles apart from the 2 driver issues I mentioned before which aren't critical to me so I'm not bothered.

I also just installed Office 2007 and I have to say it's brilliant...

I don't think Vista is anywhere as bad as people make it out to be...I just think that because we have complained (myself included) about some of Microsoft's product releases (especially XP over recent years) we tend to think that they will always deliver an inferior product. From what I have seen most of the problems experienced with Vista are driver issues... and logically this isn't really MS's problem... they have developed an extensive database of drivers which is shipped with Vista but that does not leave manufacturers free of developing driver's for their hardware.

I think also another problem is that there are people out there who are running combinations of old and new hardware and they tend to get hiccups because of the old hardware... Vista then spits the dummy and all of a sudden the consumer screams blue murder because Microsoft screwed them over... well sorry folks... do you really expect a new technology OS to support a nVidia GeForce4 Ti which is really back dated in terms of what is out now. Sure eventually it will be supported but only once there's a demand for drivers on technology that old.

Another aspect to consider is that manufacturer's aren't updating all their hardware drivers because of EOL with regard to most of their products. They do this to encourage, promote, force (which ever you prefer) consumer's to buy the newer technology... in my mind that makes perfect business and technology sense.

The bottom line with Vista is that if your hardware is more than 3 years old you will most likely experience more problems than others. The other fact is that people need to consider their need for Vista... if it becomes a want more than a need, you probably shouldn't buy it especially if you don't have recent hardware to run it on.

Please feel free to argue, comment or disagree with anything I've said.

Cheers

chiefnz

rogerp
22-03-2007, 06:40 PM
My only suggestion would be to unplug all hard drives apart from the one you're going to install Vista on. Personally I don't trust dual booting with any OS and neither do I believe in performing Upgrade installs... they are filled with just too many pitfalls.

It's obviously not a system spec problem as you are well in the clear with that.

Do a clean install with Vista dedicated on a single drive...

I've got Vista Ultimate running on a crappy Samsung 40GB HDD and she purrs along without any hassles apart from the 2 driver issues I mentioned before which aren't critical to me so I'm not bothered.

I also just installed Office 2007 and I have to say it's brilliant...

I don't think Vista is anywhere as bad as people make it out to be...I just think that because we have complained (myself included) about some of Microsoft's product releases (especially XP over recent years) we tend to think that they will always deliver an inferior product. From what I have seen most of the problems experienced with Vista are driver issues... and logically this isn't really MS's problem... they have developed an extensive database of drivers which is shipped with Vista but that does not leave manufacturers free of developing driver's for their hardware.

I think also another problem is that there are people out there who are running combinations of old and new hardware and they tend to get hiccups because of the old hardware... Vista then spits the dummy and all of a sudden the consumer screams blue murder because Microsoft screwed them over... well sorry folks... do you really expect a new technology OS to support a nVidia GeForce4 Ti which is really back dated in terms of what is out now. Sure eventually it will be supported but only once there's a demand for drivers on technology that old.

Another aspect to consider is that manufacturer's aren't updating all their hardware drivers because of EOL with regard to most of their products. They do this to encourage, promote, force (which ever you prefer) consumer's to buy the newer technology... in my mind that makes perfect business and technology sense.

The bottom line with Vista is that if your hardware is more than 3 years old you will most likely experience more problems than others. The other fact is that people need to consider their need for Vista... if it becomes a want more than a need, you probably shouldn't buy it especially if you don't have recent hardware to run it on.

Please feel free to argue, comment or disagree with anything I've said.

Cheers

chiefnz

Hmmm, 3 year old hardware. Is that really old? I mean I have an HP scanner is that is only 3 years old and it isn't supported by vista. I hardly use it and I would expect a scanner to have a life of at least 5 years. I would say that most homes would expect to keep a computer for at least 5 years before replacing it,.
People do underestimate the cost of upgrading to vista. They think they can just simply upgrade by purcahing an upgrade disk, but it can be a lot more expensive if you also have to end up upgrading other things to get it to work well.
Vista could end up being a huge cost on the environment too, as it will create a lot of rubbish, where people have to get rid of their old hardware.

winmacguy
22-03-2007, 06:47 PM
No argument needed.

Chilling_Silence
23-03-2007, 01:25 AM
If thats the case, its gotta be one of the crappiest OS's around..

Even some straight out-of-the-box Linux LiveCDs will support more 3D graphics cards than Vista! Whats wrong with my card? It plays over 95% of the games out there that I can think of... 128MB Video RAM is PLENTY to do some nice work with, and the actual specs of the card aint _too_ bad either. Long time before this sucker has to hit the garbage bin yet!

I would take Enlightenment e17 ANY DAY over Vistas Aero, not to mention that e17 will run on my grandmas 400mhz with 128MB Ram & a 16MB S3 Agp card...

Of course its perfect business sense to upgrade, if you're a business and are able to afford a full system upgrade every 2-3 years! If you're a home user, for many people thats just simply too much $$...

A handful of people all over the world develop the Linux driver support in their free time. Surely a multi-gazillion dollar corporation should be able to get drivers for an incredibly common 5.1 Channel soundcard! Seriously, is it _that_ tough??

So glad I have OpenSuSE 10.2 or I'd be watching DVD's with no sound in Doze (even just stereo would be nice!) compared with the beautiful 5.1 Channels that SuSE offers ;)

Im not out to start a full-blown "Vista vs..." battle, but really, some things like this...?!? Its stupid little reasons like this that people wont 'upgrade' to linux, now I know how they feel.. only this time its 'upgrading' to a product that Im paying for thats not up-to-scratch (Well, somebody else purchased for me as a gift)!

Sure, it runs, it boots up nicely and all... The black theme looks infinitely better than the fisher-price theme... yet aside from DX10, its almost all just "fluff" IMO.

Mind you, the file-copy dialog is much nicer, resume support too :)

winmacguy
23-03-2007, 05:12 PM
No Vista 'pop' on 2007 PC sales, predicts Gartner
Only "hundreds of thousands" will be sold because of Vista, says research director

The launch of Windows Vista won't do much for PC sales this year, says a research firm, with the new Microsoft operating system giving "at best, a limited boost" to PC units shipped during 2007.

Gartner's revised forecast now calls for a 10.5 % increase in total systems sold, up from a late 2006 estimate of 9.9%, with a year's total of 255 million new machines. But only "hundreds of thousands" will be sold because of Vista, says George Shiffler, a Gartner research director.

"We don't expect Vista to be a big pop for sales," Shiffler says. Among the reasons: Only consumers and small businesses will be looking at Vista in the short term, and the operating system itself lacks the "must have" appeal that would move units.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/91B54E1E9408160ECC2572A50075C8CA

Twelvevolts
23-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Well I got it going and it looks like it was by turning off the floppy disk drive in the bios. Looks like my floppy drive is faulty and I didn't notice because I never use it and XP never worried about it on install. Why Vista worries about it I don't know and as I made several other tweaks, it may have been one of them that fixed the problem.

Now once I got it installed I had a bit of minor trouble finding the network, but this only took about five minutes to sort out. A few problems with software like Nero - but gradually finding ways around these annoyances.

Now once you get it going - it looks pretty good and it has some nifty new features. I reckon if you can get it going it's worth doing in about three to six months from now, but then I knew that before I started and I still couldn't resist doing it now.

Wait a minute, it's stopped hailing.
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing
Playing baseball, gee that's better
Muddah, faddah kindly disregard this letter.

winmacguy
23-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Now once you get it going - it looks pretty good and it has some nifty new features. I reckon if you can get it going it's worth doing in about three to six months from now, but then I knew that before I started and I still couldn't resist doing it now.

Congrats Twelvevolts! BTW, what are the nifty new features?

Twelvevolts
23-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Congrats Twelvevolts! BTW, what are the nifty new features?

I just got three of the four Vista books Wellington library has out so I'm working my way through the features, looks like I'm the first one to get the books out. So beside the visuals stuff like 3d windows, the intergration of the search, the calender that flicks up when you hover over the time, the calender function, the built in voice recognition, the widgets are done quite well, media centre ain't bad. Yes it is all stuff I had mainly as add ins in XP from one source or another, but it all hangs together better.

winmacguy
23-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Cool, it will be interesting to see what you think of the photo managing software and windows movie maker combo ( how well they work together) if and when you decide to have a play with them.
Have fun :)
They did a reasonable job copying Apple.

southern_jas
24-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Just have to say I changed my PC from XP MCE to Vista Home Permium last night and it was a breeze. It's an HP Media Center PC so I got the Express Upograde through HP. Used the Upgrade DVD but did a fresh install rather than a "dirty" upgrade. In total maybe two hours from start to finish and all drivers found and working.

Network & Sound both worked straight away and the Vista Windows Update actually found the latest (and correct) drivers for all my hardware. Very happy with the process and Vista looks stunning on my screen. The Aero interface defoinetly looks nice and works quite well.