PDA

View Full Version : I'm finding TVNZ's new video ondemand service totally unworkable

Chris Keall
21-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Shorts and previews stutter, and episode downloads (half a gig each) freeze. Good on them for giving it a go, but it aint happening for my PC yet. Anyone out there able to make it work?

Tukapa
21-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm just watching the 1977 Top Town final (brings back memories) and it's going fine for me at full screen. I just wish you could resize the picture to the size that suited you instead of having to choose one of the preset sizes.

stu161204
21-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Yep, last night I watched a free stream of Piha Rescue, I did not watch all of it , only a few mins of it to see what its like ( you need flash to watch the free streams)

For those who do not know what Chris Keall is on about have a look here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3999650a13.html & http://www.stuff.co.nz/3999537a1860.html

Here is the official website: http://www.tvnzondemand.co.nz

trinsic
21-03-2007, 01:51 PM
How can they offer 500mb downloads when virtually everyone in NZ has a net cap :\

Trailers ran fine for me.

The_End_Of_Reality
21-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Trailers are fine for me too, I also notice that they use WMV my guess is it has crap attached to it :rolleyes:, I downloaded an ep of *shudder* Shortland Street *shudder* (212MB) only cause my Mum watches it and I am going to see what she says about it, when I went to play it, it had to upgrade some components on WMP 11... and it wants me to login or setup an account... I setup an account and it uses play points... :confused: Strange... :illogical

EDIT Here is the E-Mail I just got from them:

Thank you for registering

Welcome to TVNZ ondemand and thank you for registering with us. We hope you have enjoyed what you've seen so far.
Your new account has been set up with 10 FREE TVNZ PlayPoints so you can sample the downloads TVNZ ondemand has to offer free of charge.

Once you have used these free PlayPoints, you can purchase additional points by using your credit card.

PlayPoints can be purchased in batches of $10, $20, $50 or $100 and the average half-hour show will cost you just 4 TVNZ PlayPoints ($2).

Streaming video content on TVNZ ondemand, such as the News and some locally-made shows, is free. You only pay for downloadable videos of select shows.

TVNZ ondemand gives you the freedom to watch the shows you love, whenever you want to. You can use it to catch up on the latest news or a favourite episode of Shortland Street and much more. With TVNZ ondemand you needn't miss a moment ever again.

We'll keep in touch

We'll be sending you regular email newsletters that will keep you up to speed with some of the great new shows we're continuously adding to the site.

We also recommend that you add TVNZ ondemand to your Favourites folder so that your favourite shows are never further than a click away.

We welcome your feedback

Please feel free to let us know how you’re enjoying the service.

Your comments will help us to refine and improve TVNZ ondemand.
Kind regards,
The TVNZ ondemand team

stu161204
21-03-2007, 02:20 PM
How can they offer 500mb downloads when virtually everyone in NZ has a net cap :\

Or no cap :D

Most people have big enough caps that they can download that file size fine, & the people who have smaller caps normally wont go to sites like that one any way as they know there cap wont last long ;)

rogerp
21-03-2007, 02:21 PM

Trailers ran fine for me.

Theres nothing stopping people buying xtra bandwidth. It quite cheap too if you are with the right ISP

Terry Porritt
21-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I gave it a quick go and it worked ok, smoothly, good picture but first I had to disable hosts file which has a zillion ad.doubleclick sites in it :)

trinsic
21-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Theres nothing stopping people buying xtra bandwidth. It quite cheap too if you are with the right ISP

Curse Xtra and there ability to provide extra bandwidth or lack thereof. The $90 dissconnection fee is looking good about now.

Zap
21-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I have been watching it since this morning and is smooth as. I have not found any problem so far. For full screen I installed the latest Flash player.

rumpty
21-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I gave it a quick go and it worked ok, smoothly, good picture but first I had to disable hosts file which has a zillion ad.doubleclick sites in it :)

I thought the idea of the hosts file was that it avoided the necessity of having to download the (for instance) ad.doubleclick stuff?

CYaBro
21-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Why do they have to be half a gig in size?
Most of the 1 hour (well about 40 mins without the adds) TV episodes available on bitorrent are only 350MB and they still look great!

winmacguy
21-03-2007, 11:36 PM
TVNZ banking on faster internet
Television New Zealand hopes its new internet programme site will be profitable within three years but acknowledges that success depends on improved broadband services.
Success was dependent on both broadband uptake and users' broadband experience improving, he said. Just 11.7 per cent of New Zealand households have broadband, ranking the country 22nd out of 30 Organisation of Economic Cooperation and Development countries. Telecom is regularly criticised for the quality and speed of broadband services.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/3999650a11275.html

Big John
22-03-2007, 08:22 AM
500MB per episode???

The shows from the US are 42 minutes and pack down to 350MB and are smooth

The_End_Of_Reality
22-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Most of the 1 hour (well about 40 mins without the adds) TV episodes available on bitorrent are only 350MB and they still look great! That is because they are AVIs compressed with Divx or Xvid, these files on the TVNZ site are WMV, and I must say, the audio is not all that great... and neither is the video... compared to an episode of Prison Break :xmouth: and there is added crap included in the files for their stupid points system...

bob_doe_nz
22-03-2007, 10:23 AM
500MB per episode???

The shows from the US are 42 minutes and pack down to 350MB and are smooth

If you go for the HD.264 versions they are less around 180 - 240MB

Terry Porritt
22-03-2007, 10:53 AM
I thought the idea of the hosts file was that it avoided the necessity of having to download the (for instance) ad.doubleclick stuff?
Yes basically, normally doubleclick is prevented from being accessed and downloading ads etc by prefixing the url with 127.0.0.1, but to get TVNZ video to work, I had to allow access to ad.doubleclick.

rumpty
22-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Yes basically, normally doubleclick is prevented from being accessed and downloading ads etc by prefixing the url with 127.0.0.1, but to get TVNZ video to work, I had to allow access to ad.doubleclick.

What a pain. I think there was/is a similar problem on Xtra's site when trying to access their broadband options page.

What exactly is going on?

Terry Porritt
22-03-2007, 12:23 PM
What a pain. I think there was/is a similar problem on Xtra's site when trying to access their broadband options page.

What exactly is going on?

http://www.doubleclick.com/us/

It's all about Globalisation, the New World Order, loss of privacy, and the take over of the world by big business :) :eek:

rogerp
22-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Most of the 1 hour (well about 40 mins without the adds) TV episodes available on bitorrent are only 350MB and they still look great!

Maybe they need to learn how to compress them down. They could learn a lot from shows that are on bittorrent.

winmacguy
27-03-2007, 06:56 PM
According to the Herald today, TVNZ is waiting and hoping to join up with iTunes and possibly Apple TV for their Ondemand service. They might be waiting and hoping for a while.

msnforum
28-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Just read the news today that the videos downloaded from tvnzondemand, you can actually remove the DRM on it quite easily.

winmacguy
28-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I seem to remember that the DRM for Plays for sure that TVNZ uses was cracked ages ago and is pretty widely available.