PDA

View Full Version : Deleting files from C Drive

skyvan
20-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Some months ago disatisfied with Nortons I downloaded AVG which is a delight. Recently whilst scanning the C Drive I noticed some Symantic files were refered to during the scan. I checked my C drive and there are about 8 files sitting there. Presumably deleting these files should not create a problem. I have already removed the Nortons software using the Add/Delete software process.

Thank you

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Use this (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039)

SurferJoe46
21-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Some months ago disatisfied with Nortons I downloaded AVG which is a delight. Recently whilst scanning the C Drive I noticed some Symantic files were refered to during the scan. I checked my C drive and there are about 8 files sitting there. Presumably deleting these files should not create a problem. I have already removed the Nortons software using the Add/Delete software process.

Thank you

As Sir Speedy knows, as well as anyone who ever had Nortons/Symentec/McAfee garbage, it is almost as hard to purge as America On Line.

It actually took me about 6 weeks of hunting the bugger down and killing each and every piece of it...and that went for AOL too...but I'm not going there again. I didn't spend a lot of quality time, just an occasional seek and destroy mission.

You can set CCleaner to not take out everything...even things you want to keep can stay if you like...use it's settings.

pctek
21-03-2007, 08:42 AM
It actually took me about 6 weeks of hunting the bugger down and killing each and every piece of it..

You can set CCleaner to not take out everything..

6 weeks? Half an hour of manual registry cleaning.
And CCleaner, while good, does not remove all the reg entries for Nortons. I tested it.

Strommer
21-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Use this (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039)

:eek: That's a Symantec page! Ya gotta laugh at the first sentence on that page:Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product.
...because most people are not wanting the removal due to "a failed installation or damaged Norton product", but because they finally realized that Nortons is cr*p and want to get remove ALL of it, especially since some programs will not work :annoyed: with bits of Nortons still present.

SurferJoe46
21-03-2007, 12:19 PM
6 weeks? Half an hour of manual registry cleaning.
And CCleaner, while good, does not remove all the reg entries for Nortons. I tested it.

I know..I was pathetic about it...but I didn't think I'd need to open the registry and tried to do it, just for fun mind you, the hard way.

There will be no next time to try it...I just was fooling around....